• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2021-22 Season Passes

thetrailboss

Staff member
@thetrailboss

Thoughts on Alta officially announcing going to paid parking reservations next winter?
So this is news to me. Here is what it says:

WEEKEND & HOLIDAY PARKING RESERVATIONS​

With the launch season passes for next winter, it's important to recognize the parking challenges highlighted this season at Alta. Thank you for your feedback and patience, we are working to implement a weekend & holiday paid parking reservation system in order to improve the Alta skiing experience and reduce canyon congestion. As a valued Alta season passholder you will receive weekend & holiday parking reservation benefits. Parking Details Coming Soon...

So it is for non-season passholders.

We will see how this works.

Zand

I believe it's going to encourage more people to stay at Alta's hotels at the base. When we visited Snowbird this year our plan was to stay in SLC and drive to Snowbird everyday. When we found out that parking reservations were needed unless you stayed at one of the hotels at the Snowbird base we switched our reservation.
Both the BCC and LCC ski buses are free with season passes and Ikon passes. Then you dont have to deal with reservations or paying and you'll probably get dropped off much closer to the lifts than you'll park.

abc

Couldn't you say the same about Jackson Hole, yet Ikon has brought in hoards of couch surfers and parking lot campers.

It may not be as close as Jackson is to SLC, but Seattle isn't that far and Spokane is an easy airport to fly into with mostly good weather. Then it's an easy drive across the border to Red Mountain in BC.
I don't know if Jackson is a fair comparison but Schweizer is definitely going to have bigger crowds next season.
It's not comparable. Jackson is a truly "iconic" mountain. Just about everyone who has an IKON pass would WANT TO ski there. Schweizer not nearly the same.

More over, big herd of people fly to SLC to ski Alta-bird year after year already. Now they tack on Jackson in addition. Or many simply fly straight to JH. None of that is the case for Schweizer.

I'm sure it'll bring in more skiers. That's after all the intent of joining Alterra, isn't it? Question really is will it bring in the herd of crowds!

skimagic

It's not comparable. Jackson is a truly "iconic" mountain. Just about everyone who has an IKON pass would WANT TO ski there. Schweizer not nearly the same.

More over, big herd of people fly to SLC to ski Alta-bird year after year already. Now they tack on Jackson in addition. Or many simply fly straight to JH. None of that is the case for Schweizer.

I'm sure it'll bring in more skiers. That's after all the intent of joining Alterra, isn't it? Question really is will it bring in the herd of crowds!

This is true, most folks from the east want to ski the best resorts in the country rather than a new, relatively unknown player.

A while back, we flew to Spokane for a Schweitzer/Fernie trip but on the way out (7+hr trip), we connected in SLC, and we thought, lets just get off here and ski LCC/BCC again, why go further? Overall it was a good trip since we also threw Castle Mtn in the mix. But i wouldn't want to make that long haul again knowing we can just have a shorter flight to CO/UT and drive around to either the big resorts and small ones for a great ski experience. A year later we chose a JH/GT road trip out of SLC over a possible Whitefish trip that used the close by glacier airport just because it was JH.

Dickc

The Indy Revolution marches on as three more mountains join the alliance.

Keep an eye on your inbox this Tuesday for our first BIG announcement of the 21-22 season that is sure to rock your powder lovin' world. We'll also be announcing our pricing and on-sale date because the season starts in just 203 days!

p_levert

The Indy Revolution marches on as three more mountains join the alliance.

I am not impressed by a 3 mountain addition. I assume at least a few areas will drop out, right? I was hoping for something big, but this looks like the status quo to me.

As things look today, I will go with Ikon Local and then buy a few restricted Epic Days so I can ski Stowe (or Okemo or Hunter).

Tonyr

I am not impressed by a 3 mountain addition. I assume at least a few areas will drop out, right? I was hoping for something big, but this looks like the status quo to me.

As things look today, I will go with Ikon Local and then buy a few restricted Epic Days so I can ski Stowe (or Okemo or Hunter).
I read somewhere that the Indy Pass will have 73 resorts on it for next year. Maybe the 3 new mountains that this note is referring to are east coast additions? Or maybe what I read was complete BS! I guess we'll find out soon enough, they are announcing the new resorts and pricing on Tuesday.

Tonyr

I read somewhere that the Indy Pass will have 73 resorts on it for next year. Maybe the 3 new mountains that this note is referring to are east coast additions? Or maybe what I read was complete BS! I guess we'll find out soon enough, they are announcing the new resorts and pricing on Tuesday.
This note is on the Magic Mountain website, it references over ski 75 resorts for next year on the Indy Pass........

Screenshot_20210425-125548_Chrome.jpg

PAabe

WNEP ski card maybe could be a a thing again next year but I guess that wouldn't drop until like november. It could be a good localized alternative to Indy in PA/NY if Indy does not add more hills in that area, since Indy does not have the density in that area like it does in New England

Mum skier

Can anyone comment on how bad Loon is on weekends? As a family with kids in school we can only ski weekends any way so bad is sort of a relative term! So how “relatively bad” is Loon vs the other Boston day trip mountains. We have been Epic pass for last 3 years and mostly ski Sunapee on Sundays. Despits the Vail hate for this year I would say they did as well as they could under the circumstance, at least all lifts ran and they policed the lines to make them fair. But certainly longer lines and until later in the season than the previous years. Loon is only 20 mins further and having Sunday River as an option for vacation weeks (rather than say Okemo or Snow) makes me wonder about switching to NE pass. But Loon would be the regular weekend mountain and I read bad things about both weekend crowds and type of crowd.
White Mountain pass seems too crazy expensive for what it is and misses a real destination resort.

So main question is how does Loon compare to Sunapee for crowds on weekends?

Zermatt

Indy Pass has a half dozen or so resorts. The rest are just ski areas, dozens of them are pure crap you never heard of before Indy Pass. Like somebody from New England is going to take a trip to Iowa to use their Indy days.

urungus

Can anyone comment on how bad Loon is on weekends? ... I read bad things about both weekend crowds and type of crowd.

What bad “type of crowd” shows up at Loon ? The Boston equivalent of the knuckleheads starting fights in the Hunter / Mt Snow parking lot ?

Zand

Can anyone comment on how bad Loon is on weekends? As a family with kids in school we can only ski weekends any way so bad is sort of a relative term! So how “relatively bad” is Loon vs the other Boston day trip mountains. We have been Epic pass for last 3 years and mostly ski Sunapee on Sundays. Despits the Vail hate for this year I would say they did as well as they could under the circumstance, at least all lifts ran and they policed the lines to make them fair. But certainly longer lines and until later in the season than the previous years. Loon is only 20 mins further and having Sunday River as an option for vacation weeks (rather than say Okemo or Snow) makes me wonder about switching to NE pass. But Loon would be the regular weekend mountain and I read bad things about both weekend crowds and type of crowd.
White Mountain pass seems too crazy expensive for what it is and misses a real destination resort.

Worst part about Loon is that the only real way out of the main base area is a 4-person Gondola. Has awful capacity and creates some biblical lines that are unavoidable if you accidently ski too low. The good thing is stuff like North Peak, East Basin, and South Peak aren't usually so bad, probably smaller lines than Sunapee. And the new Kanc-8 will be a game changer for sure, although I feel like that whole side of the mountain will be a total zoo.

Zand

Indy Pass has a half dozen or so resorts. The rest are just ski areas, dozens of them are pure crap you never heard of before Indy Pass. Like somebody from New England is going to take a trip to Iowa to use their Indy days.
Lol what?

Even if the pass goes up to $300...if 2 days each at Saddleback, Cannon, Jay, Bolton, and Magic (just to name the really good ones) among many other smaller but decent options in New England don't make the pass worth it without a "trip to Iowa", then IDK what to say other than this is the strangest take ever.

jaytrem

Oddly enough Indy doesn't have a single area in Iowa. If you want Iowa you need to go with the Cooper pass.

sull1102

As a season pssholder you’ll quickly learn how to play the lines to maximize your day. The gondola line is brutal on weekends, not gonna lie. However, the Kanc8 is likely to attract a lot of attention next season and help the gondi line situation. As long as you ride the gondola a couple times in the morning and then hit North Peak and South Peak you’ll be good. South Peak never has a line, one of the most underused mtn pods out there despite being home to some awesome terrain and decent tree skiing for NH.

I must say, from what I heard from my Epic Pass friends at work and one friend that went to Sunapee then came to Loon with me a bunch, Boyne killed Vail this year. It sounds like Vail just tried to survive, but Loon was really doing well all year and was phenomenal from beginning to end. Sunday River same story, they even still had fireworks and such.