• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

$250 Magic Mtn Freedom Pass under 30

catsup948

Really!

I still say the cheap under 30 passes are unfair. I had WAAAAAY more disposable income back when I was under 30, than I did in my 30's and 40's.

I agree. I skied all over the place when I was younger and had tons of money. Now I have kids and don't have money to do such things. I want a pass for people in their 30's.

snoseek

Really!

I still say the cheap under 30 passes are unfair. I had WAAAAAY more disposable income back when I was under 30, than I did in my 30's and 40's.
In not in my 20s but am pretty sure things are a little different these days for a 25 year old coming out of college than they were in the 90s. Much different. This is just the resorts recognizing that fact and trying to retain that demographic.

cdskier

In not in my 20s but am pretty sure things are a little different these days for a 25 year old coming out of college than they were in the 90s. Much different. This is just the resorts recognizing that fact and trying to retain that demographic.

Yes...had it not been for Sugarbush offering the Four 20s pass 5 years ago I would have never become a passholder there. Now I keep buying a pass every year, so they succeeded in what they set out to do with capturing my business...

Jully

how about a pass for forty-something parents with a mortgage...the struggle is real

A lot of places have family discount passes (Shawnee Peak in ME comes to mind immediately and BEast in MA has something too if I recall). The key with the older demographic is that you have to bring others (a spouse/kids) into the skiing world as well! In your 20s resorts are trying to capture your business. I'd figure that anyone over 30 or 35 is pretty much going to ski somewhere, but the number of people that grew up skiing but then drop it after college is staggering. I see way more kids and 40+ types at resorts than I do 25 year olds.

Additionally Magic has a couples pass that would help out the 40s demographic too for 800 some odd dollars.

I also find that the mountains offering family discounts differ from the mountains with the for20s discounts usually. That makes sense to me as well because they need some people paying the full price of a pass or else there's no point in having a full price pass! After 40s there's people in their 50s paying for their kids college tuition and then 60s is people trying to retire asap!

Jully

Yes...had it not been for Sugarbush offering the Four 20s pass 5 years ago I would have never become a passholder there. Now I keep buying a pass every year, so they succeeded in what they set out to do with capturing my business...

Sugarbush has some great pass options. I'm at Ragged this year, but depending on the crowds/duration of the glades season this year I'm thinking I might end up with either a Peaks pass or a Sugarbush pass next year. Wildcat and SB are very similar distances for me. The big benefit to peaks is Crotched (1:20 drive time) for some midweek night turns.

I'm going to get up to Wildcat and SB multiple times this year, hopefully in close proximity to one another to do a comparison.

I'm leaving the For20s age range soon, and the 30s pass at Sugarbush makes me pretty excited too.

cdskier

I'm leaving the For20s age range soon, and the 30s pass at Sugarbush makes me pretty excited too.

I've been out of the For 20s age range for a few years, so it was pretty awesome to get money back this year after they came out with the early 30s pass. That new pass was quite a surprise.

dlague

I would like to see more mountains do veteran deals like Cannon - that has been pretty sweet. In addition, my son's pass was cheaper at Cannon the it would have been at Pats Peak.

snoseek

The thing that made no sense to me was magic doesn't really have a devoted college pass unless you attend Dartmouth and only Dartmouth. That kind of bummed me out.

deadheadskier

Staff member
A lot of places have family discount passes (Shawnee Peak in ME comes to mind immediately and BEast in MA has something too if I recall). The key with the older demographic is that you have to bring others (a spouse/kids) into the skiing world as well! In your 20s resorts are trying to capture your business. I'd figure that anyone over 30 or 35 is pretty much going to ski somewhere, but the number of people that grew up skiing but then drop it after college is staggering. I see way more kids and 40+ types at resorts than I do 25 year olds.

Additionally Magic has a couples pass that would help out the 40s demographic too for 800 some odd dollars.

I also find that the mountains offering family discounts differ from the mountains with the for20s discounts usually. That makes sense to me as well because they need some people paying the full price of a pass or else there's no point in having a full price pass! After 40s there's people in their 50s paying for their kids college tuition and then 60s is people trying to retire asap!

I agree with all of this. It sucks for those in the 30-60 age bracket with all of the expenses associated with having kids and buying homes, but I'm sure all of the new deals for folks in their 20s are the result of industry demographic studies.

I'm 41 now. I'd estimate that 75% of my college skiing friends dropped out of the sport within a couple of years after graduation. So, the ski areas not only lose their business, but also future business from the next generation. There are exceptions where people return to the sport after many years away, but I bet most were saying goodbye for good when they gave it up in their 20s.

It sucks as it leaves us middle aged die-hards paying the most. But, we're hooked, the resorts know it and we will keep participating while looking forward to senior deals if our knees last that long.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I left the sport in my twenties and returned in my thirties 12 years later.

Sure, like I said there are exceptions for sure. I know savemeasammy did the same. I'd be willing to bet many more do not return and that's what the demographic studies turned up to lead to the pricing changes for that age group.

cdskier

Sure, like I said there are exceptions for sure. I know savemeasammy did the same. I'd be willing to bet many more do not return and that's what the demographic studies turned up to lead to the pricing changes for that age group.

And that was exactly what Win Smith said that Sugarbush's numbers showed when they did the analysis and why they came out with the For 20s pass when they did.