• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

3/12 Jinx Thread

Zand

I'm storm chasing for the first time this season. Time to finally get day 3 and 4 and 5 and beyond. I'm out of shape as f*ck and now that this thread exists it will be all rain everywhere, but let's go.

Storm looks to bomb out as it moves east, but best dynamics for a solid snowfall might be further west and favor the Greens. Good "Jay Cloud" pattern on Sunday as well. Think I'm leaning Killington, but ready to head north if that's the best play. Cannon could be a dark horse if the dynamics move further east. Not sure how much the recent torch regressed the snowpack, but hopefully everything will be skiable again by Sunday.

brandt_cant_watch

Pulled the trigger on heading up to Sugarbush Friday after work.

I highly doubt we'll see these numbers but if we do ill take em...

1646783182238.png

Kingslug20

Prolly a good play...stowe will be a zoo..sb a little less...maybe?

hovercraft

I think they all will be a zoo, good thing Sunday is a day people have to go home as Monday is a work day. Not sure that holds anymore but I am going with it!!!

BenedictGomez

Pulled the trigger, took Monday off. Driving up Friday after work, Saturday likely just a family day, ski Sunday at either Jay Peak (most likely) or Stowe or Smuggs. I'm a little worried about wind, but not going to worry about it yet 5 days out.

ThatGuy

Leaning Jay for Sunday, Monday as well. Winds Sunday have good chance of lift closures though so might push it to Monday, Tuesday.

Zand

@Zand only 2 days so far for your season? Thought you were a 25-40 days-a-season regular?
It's been a long winter for me...I kind of talked about it in my most recent TR (which was a month ago now...) after which I pretty much hit rock bottom but I'm at the point where I'm digging up whatever motivation I can to salvage the season.

I have the next two weeks off (mainly for a mental health break from work) and I plan on spending 8-10 of them on the snow. Just hoping the weather cooperates somewhat. I think I can still get to the 14-17 day range this year if the spring torch doesn't continue. Thought about going west for one of the weeks but flight prices are up, car rentals are insane, and hotels even seem to be up 50% compared to last year so decided not to.

I actually have day 3 reserved tomorrow night at Wachusett. I don't have a pass there anymore but I do have a few-year-old COW Card collecting dust that I found a few weeks ago so I decided to put it to use. Hopefully the couple inches coming tomorrow afternoon sets in nicely. Mainly just looking to get the cobwebs out. I'm leaning towards some kind of combo trip Sunday-Wednesday consisting of 2 days at Jay and 2 days between Sugarbush and Bolton, or Killington if they jackpot.

Also, since it's been talked about a little bit above, I do see wind being a major issue Sunday.

tumbler

Wind an issue for sure but also the consistency of the snow. With those temps looking like some heavy slop. Good for building back some base, not so good for freshies...

ThatGuy

Hope your life and season improve Zand. Times are definitely really tough right now in all aspects of life. Always loved your in depth trip reports and am looking forward to some more!

KustyTheKlown

I'm storm chasing for the first time this season. Time to finally get day 3 and 4 and 5 and beyond. I'm out of shape as f*ck and now that this thread exists it will be all rain everywhere, but let's go.

Storm looks to bomb out as it moves east, but best dynamics for a solid snowfall might be further west and favor the Greens. Good "Jay Cloud" pattern on Sunday as well. Think I'm leaning Killington, but ready to head north if that's the best play. Cannon could be a dark horse if the dynamics move further east. Not sure how much the recent torch regressed the snowpack, but hopefully everything will be skiable again by Sunday.

i booked a room in white river junction for Friday and Saturday that will put me within about 60-90 minutes of all options. considering jay, bolton, sugarbush for sat, and hopefully magic for sun. can access loon, waterville, cannon if this storm is snow in NH but this looks like an abrupt rain/snow line along the vt/nh border.

i also have a room in rutland but i think i want to be on 89 or 91 on sat morning, and not on 7 or 100 and the gap roads.

Kingslug20

Im leaving for jh 19th..cant help this one..this one...is mine. :)

ThatGuy

image.jpg
The ground is white again so thats a good sign of things to come 🤞

Zand

Euro was a little further east, jackpots Cannon to Caribou. Solid for VT though.

ThatGuy

Catch me in Valhalla at Jay on Sunday. Whether that involves skinning or a lift to be determined.