• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Accurate, Informative & Trustworthy Snow Reports vs Vague & Questionable Snow Reports

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
I havent read his stuff in a while so I dont know specifically what you're referring to, but one thing I will say is he gets highly optimistic ahead of the key revenue driving time periods for ski areas. Not sure if he receives funding or if he just feels it's his duty as a local to "help out" the economy, etc..., but it's pretty obvious if you've followed his stuff a number of years.

Just to stop any theories before they start Josh Fox gets no funding in any way for his blog. The guy even buys his own pass. He also doesn't live locally.

As for snow totals the 22" is legit for the storm total. measured with a ruler. My guess is SB is missing something in the totals.

bdfreetuna

Middlebury reported 18" storm total
MRG reported 22" storm total (adding 3 days of summit measurements, so the highest "true" number they can show)

Sugarbush either not reporting the total or they got shafted on Thursday by the freezing rain/mix/snow transition line, which anyone paying attention knows was expected to be somewhere close to that location anyway.

I stand behind MRG as among the most informative and least deceptive in the game. Anyone trying to call them out should have been watching their snow stake on webcam -- let's see some proof.

Also Josh Fox mentions global warming all the time I never considered him overly optimistic.. nice to have a relatively detailed forecast for MRG though whether or not it turns out correct

Last edited:

dblskifanatic

Back to the OP - so we all know the lift lines were ridiculous yesterday. I looked at Breck snow report and it talked about new snow but it failed to say anything about winds which shut down most of the upper lifts. Not sure if that would have changed anything but some might have gone elsewhere. I guess that is what vague buys you!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

WinS

We actually received about the same as MRG. The wind swept the snow stake and that is why the snow reporter said what he did. When we actually measured on the trails we adjusted it. I skied in shin to knee to mid-thigh powder Saturday morning. Best day of the year. We were basically on the snow line so we and those North benefited while everyone South had bad luck. Lots of icing issues on lifts which is a mechanics worst nightmare. We were fortunate on Friday to only have Northridge and Slidebrook delayed more than a few minutes due to icing. But it did take most of the day to get SB de-iced on Friday.

WWF-VT

We actually received about the same as MRG. The wind swept the snow stake and that is why the snow reporter said what he did. When we actually measured on the trails we adjusted it. I skied in shin to knee to mid-thigh powder Saturday morning. Best day of the year. We were basically on the snow line so we and those North benefited while everyone South had bad luck. Lots of icing issues on lifts which is a mechanics worst nightmare. We were fortunate on Friday to only have Northridge and Slidebrook delayed more than a few minutes due to icing. But it did take most of the day to get SB de-iced on Friday.

Thanks for the update and clearing up the significant difference in reporting for SB and MRG

Sirbannedalot

I guess when you are really wrong.... have administrative delete it so no one can see how wrong you really were.

cdskier

Thanks for the update and clearing up the significant difference in reporting for SB and MRG

Was up there Thursday night through today. With what I saw and experienced first hand while skiing, I was pretty sure the MRG number was much closer to reality than the SB number. Glad to see SB corrected it today.

bdfreetuna

Sugarbush either not reporting the total or they got shafted on Thursday by the freezing rain/mix/snow transition line

wrong how?

I asked for the thread to be cleaned up, generally. Anyone who witnessed the expletive laden hissy fit this morning knows it was necessary. I repeatedly called to de-escalate and even let you get in plenty of extra "last words". The fact is you called me out incorrectly in the first place, then played the victim as you stooped to levels this forum has rarely if ever seen, including violent speech which IMO should have you banned (and I can see where your handle came from if this is how you present yourself on forums).

As proven by my quote above and Win's corroberation.

If you feel like this response set you off big time again how about take it to PMs and we can have a little chat there instead of further derailing the topic.

Last edited:

bdfreetuna

Big takeaway here should be Sugarbush doesn't exaggerate their totals, if anything they accidentally measure too little :thumbup:

Sirbannedalot

Obviously you were wrong in the area you had "cleaned up" including starting with name calling and generally bullying.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Take it outside guys if you want to see who the biggest internet badass is. And by outside, I mean private message. I deleted a bunch of crap today for the first time in many months. Generally speaking this forum has never been about major flame wars, though they do happen occasionally. That said, it got over the top today.

Go skiing

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

ScottySkis

I've heard reports from people who were up at Sugarbush today and reported 18" up top. Maybe it's an average number they post. Or maybe the measurement is from mid or base. It definitely varies depending on elevation especially with this type of storm.

How was the Bush yesterday?

bdfreetuna

Nothing that couldn't be solved by mods deleting obvious burner accounts.

Yup there's no real mystery or "blame to spread around" here.

Too bad Jim missed it. I like his impartiality in these situations. There was literally no comparison between one person attempting to deescalate and the other using violent speech, multiple posts back to back, F-bombs and various slurs left and right.

I don't need to get "called out" by nanny mod for literally posting "you win, moving on" while the other poster is at the same time making multiple posts in response with F yous.

Don't care that much but it makes a mockery of this forum and I come back here to see someone wants to put blame on me... hah... no

BTW I did go skiing. 2 days at MRG and Smuggs... just like I said...

Last edited:

Sirbannedalot

Too bad Jim missed it. I like his impartiality in these situations. There was literally no comparison between one person attempting to deescalate and the other using violent speech, multiple posts back to back, F-bombs and various slurs left and right.

I don't need to get "called out" by nanny mod for literally posting "you win, moving on" while the other poster is at the same time making multiple posts in response with F yous.

Don't care that much but it makes a mockery of this forum and I come back here to see someone wants to put blame on me... hah... no

BTW I did go skiing. 2 days at MRG and Smuggs... just like I said...
Don't bs everyone. You blatantly started this. I made a comment not even directed at you. You started by calling me names and generally bullying because of misinformation you had calling the rain/snow line between mount ellen and mrg. Then when you realized I wasn't one who was going to take it you tried to deescalate it, insincerely might I add. And of course you wanted it deleted so no one could see how you started it unprovoked and how you escalated it before you claim you tried to deescalate it. Yea I had back to back posts and I f bombed. But you want to start saying I used various slurs? After you had it deleted so no one can see you are lying once again? Man you lost any and all credibility. Only a real idiot would think the rain snow line would fall between mrg and the tallest of the sugarbush peaks. You should just learn to read and listen because you offer nothing of any value to this forum.

bdfreetuna

Did you not say you would "rearrange my face" and "fuck you and your daughter" as well as multiple "bitch" and "fuck you", posting 3x for every attempt to deescalate?

Of course you did, you're a liar, completely unhinged, and a low life who's been PMing me multiple times a day with "fuck you bitch" and similar while I've been skiing and not checking the forum. I told you "take it to PMs" just to get you to quit screwing up the thread, not hoping to attract a cyber stalker.

I don't appreciate my thread getting totally F'd up by a burner account. Making a mockery of the forum.

BenedictGomez

+1

Sirbannedalot

I'm no more a burner account than you are. But you continue to call me all sorts of names. Good thing you got everything deleted so no one can verify your bs.