• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Advice Needed! Stratton or Killington this Weekend

bman1

How is Stratton? I usually go to Gore, Killington, or Stowe. I want to get one weekend in this season. How does Stratton compare skiing wise to killington? Will it be mobbed with families and shoppers? Is it just as challenging as Stowe, Bush, Killington etc?

Thanks!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
"Is it just as challenging as Stowe, Bush, Killington etc?" You have a lot to learn!;-)
Mountain-wise, think of Stratton a slightly steeper Okemo. Considering you haven't been to Stratton, I think there's a good chance you've never been to Okemo. In other words, less steeper than K-mart. I'd say the steepest slope would be the equivalent to Superstar. Lot's of groomers, more than 90% of the mountain is groomed nightly. Avoid the gondola and you'll be fine with crowds, especially since it's now late season. The mountain has the best glades in southern VT. The village has a great vibe, check it out. The mountain is good for a day trip. A person like you who seems to like challenge won't find much there, but I would still go for the fun of it.

ScottySkis

Gore, K and Stowe defiantly better expert hills. For lot of crusing and village then Stratton is what you want. Fyi Gore got like 18 inches of snow from yesterday storm. I would go to Gore or personaly.

deadheadskier

Staff member
"Is it just as challenging as Stowe, Bush, Killington etc?" You have a lot to learn!;-)
Mountain-wise, think of Stratton a slightly steeper Okemo. Considering you haven't been to Stratton, I think there's a good chance you've never been to Okemo. In other words, less steeper than K-mart. I'd say the steepest slope would be the equivalent to Superstar. Lot's of groomers, more than 90% of the mountain is groomed nightly. Avoid the gondola and you'll be fine with crowds, especially since it's now late season. The mountain has the best glades in southern VT. The village has a great vibe, check it out. The mountain is good for a day trip. A person like you who seems to like challenge won't find much there, but I would still go for the fun of it.

not much to add to ss20's comments; they're spot on.

Stratton's really not a bad mountain at all despite it's lack of steep terrain. Very underrated trees IMO. Definitely no Stowe, Bush or Killington by any means though.

octopus

stratton has interesting shuttles from the hotel to the mountain

bman1

Thanks for the Info. I've been to Okemo an don't really like it. Looks like Gore or Killington this weekend.

Thanks!

drjeff

Crowd wise, this could be an interesting weekend. Given the snow of the last couple of days, one would assume that some good crowds might turn out. Sometimes this time of year, even with a bunch of new snow, and what should be if not the best condtions of the year, very, very close to it, the crowds don't materialize as you'd expect. Given the generally more hardcore clientele at Killington vs. Stratton, my hunch is between the 2 that Killington would be more likely to have larger crowds relatively to Stratton (and by that I mean that I know that Killington will draw more folks that Stratton outright this weekend, but proportionately Killington is more likely i'd expect to have larger crowds at their major lifts than Stratton will likely have this weekend)

Euler

Echoing what others have said...I went to Stratton early this season and found there trails similar in dificulty to Okemo. If you want steeper terrain, don't go there.

skiking4

Stratton has good trees. All marked and unmarked trees from black bear to skier rights boundary is awesome. Why not has a big fun cliff to huck off of. The ravine has some very steep pitches. Test pilot is vast. Some other unmarked trees are dope and steep. I'd definitely try Stratton out, but it ain't no kton bush or Stowe.

bdfreetuna

I find that Okemo is the more challenging mountain vs Stratton, due to its trails having the highest population density in the state of Vermont.

Also Stratton is even flatter.