• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AlpineZone Ski Area Challenge: Burke Mountain Ski Area

Greg

Staff member
David Gwatkin from Burke Mountain Ski Area also agreed to take the AlpineZone Ski Area Challenge! This is your chance to get official answers to your ski-related questions direct from a Northeast ski resort representative! Please post some suggested questions in this thread and I'll select ten to present for official responses.

As always, please be respectful of David and keep it civil. Also, please refrain from asking specifics about skier visit numbers, financials, demographic information, etc. Burke needs to be discrete about certain information.

Ask away!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
thanks David! i love burke and it's always tops on my list of recommended places to ski that most people haven't been to yet. here's some questions starting with the question that everybody is gonna wanna know:

The only negative comment almost any one has to say about burke is the slow speed of the Quad. Some of us enjoy the slow ride up and the much needed time to catch our breath after dropping into some of Burke's awesome glade and bump runs! But for everyone else, is there any long or short term plans to upgrade the lift to either a faster fixed grip or high speed lift?

Has the inclusion of Burke's glades in the official trail count helped bring in more skiers and are there any plans to either add to that count or cut more glades?

Could you name same racers from the Burke Mountain Academy that have gone on to become Olympians and/or excelled on the World Cup?

Any new and exciting improvements to Burke planned for the 2004-2005 ski season?

Thanks!

Greg

Staff member
Burke is similar to Jay and Sugarloaf in that it is a long drive for those in central and southern New England. How do you overcome the challenge that there are many other ski resorts that are closer to the large metropolitan areas? I feel Sugarloaf's remoteness adds to its uniqueness and appeal somewhat. Do you feel Burke shares this characteristic, and why or why not?

teachski

Website
teachski.com
I've been to Burke a few times when they were collecting donations for the Friends of Burke, what does that money go toward?

Have you considered putting some sort of lift near the East Bowl and clearing a few more trails on that side of the mountain? I love the East Bowl, except for the flat sections going in and coming out.

Do the students and employees of the mountain school also work at the ski area? Is there a rule for or against this happening?

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
This may seem like an obtuse question but it comes in all sincerity.

Burke is a relatively high mountain. Which means that it could theoretically be used for late season skiing. Have you ever thought about making a huge patch of snow on the summit of the mountain and letting people use the auto road to access the snow. Just a thought, if this has never been considered, is it a possibility in the future.

Sorry for the oddness of that question. For the record, I really enjoy burke and they have AWESOME glades. East bowl is one of my fav. trails. when its not groomed

porter

ChileMass

When I think of Burke, I think of the racing program. Thank goodness Burke continues to cary the flag for Northeastern ski racing. Tell us about your program - how to sign up younger kids, which racing organizations are involved, schedules, contacts, etc. Do you have more activity in the girls/womens program these days or in the boys/mens? The same? Tell us about future plans for the program and how the mountain uses the race program in its marketing mix.

Greg

Staff member
Some great questions. I'm sending some to David!

thetrailboss

Staff member
I just got the latest news from Burke...

...and I saw that they are adding some cool stuff this season, which is great for a mountain that has had some difficulty financially in the past.

They are adding a novice glade area at the bottom and a novice/kids terrain park. They are also adding some more gladed terrain for experts...rumor was near Willoughby.

Great news! Spread the word about Burke and how great it is!

M