• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Another Death at Cannon

thetrailboss

Staff member
As time passes, it seems like the S&R crews are more and more likely to eventually make a grim discovery and folks once again reminded of how even for experienced hikers that the Presidentials can quickly become dangerous, especially in the colder weather months
Except this was not in the Presidentials. This was on Franconia Ridge.

BodeMiller1

?

The Presidentials are the Mount Washington range (Madison, Adams, Jefferson, Monroe, Eisenhower, etc.). Not close.
I'm getting 10 to 12 miles peak to peak from Falling Waters to To top of Washington. Never been in that neck of the woods...

I challenge you to a ski off!

🐢🦉

Last edited:

skiur

No stored energy. No reserves

Are you serious, how about being able to move things in your way; ice, rocks, brush etc.
Do you know how many more calories you burn the temp drops below 32F. 150lbs and driving 30 mph gusts.

As far as the family, as mentioned this isn't revealing the World Cup results. This is national news and now that the state is saying it's now a recovery mission and not a rescue...

If I was up there. I'd be looking for her, butt I'm not. There are people that go skiing and then there are the people that...

Granite 1 is right, she had no business trying to attempt this hike.

What does it cost to fly Blackhawks out of Concord?
Search and Rescue?
Her life.

In the movie Infinite Storm the heroine does everything right.

This person did the polar opposite.

I only asked about her height, which has absolutely nothing to do with any of it. I agree it seems she had no business attempting the hike, but being 5'3 had nothing to do with it.

BodeMiller1

I only asked about her height, which has absolutely nothing to do with any of it. I agree it seems she had no business attempting the hike, but being 5'3 had nothing to do with it.
The snow up top was 5' so yea. So ya get scuba gear.

Granite1

What are you talking about? There is not 5 feet of snow or close to it anywhere in the northeast right now.
There could be 5 foot drifts up there easily. I heard reports of at least 3 feet of snow in places up there.

Dickc

• Sad
Reactions: Edd

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm getting 10 to 12 miles peak to peak from Falling Waters to To top of Washington. Never been in that neck of the woods...

I challenge you to a ski off!

🐢🦉
Again, completely different part of the Whites. Anyone who lives in NH and is into the outdoors would know that…..

Granite1

Would be fun to get everybody together for an Alpine Zone “Chinese Downhill” ski-off
I came in 2nd the first and only Chinese Downhill I ever did in the 80's at Vail. The only reason I came in 2nd was because the winner jumped the start; as they say-there are no rules in Chinese Downhill.

1dog

From the article "The Boston Globe said she was attempting to finish hiking all 48 of the 4,000-foot mountains in New Hampshire before her 20th birthday this week."

Sad to feel so pushed to then go out and lose your life.
Gee, never finished the 4000'ter's ( Owls Head and Wambek) but have done that loop close to a doz. times - winter and summer. If she'd done the other 45 ( Have to assume she needed Flume, Liberty, Lafayette) she had to do them all in summer in very fair weather. Last winter trip to Lafayette was 60+ MPH at summit and completely iced. crampons a must. Done plenty alone but its always more fun and better to hike w others. RIP

Granite1

Gee, never finished the 4000'ter's ( Owls Head and Wambek) but have done that loop close to a doz. times - winter and summer. If she'd done the other 45 ( Have to assume she needed Flume, Liberty, Lafayette) she had to do them all in summer in very fair weather. Last winter trip to Lafayette was 60+ MPH at summit and completely iced. crampons a must. Done plenty alone but its always more fun and better to hike w others. RIP
It's reported she was found in the Lafayette Brook area, isn't that a drainage on the northwest side of Mt Lafayette? If so, given that she started her hike at Lafayette Place with a goal to summit Flume and Haystack and Lafayette. I wonder if she made it up to Flume and then back to Franconia Ridge and up to Haystack and Mt Lafayette and died on the way down Lafayette Brook? Would that be a possible route? I'm not sure what they mean by Lafayette Brook other than it's wilderness area, is there a hiking trail there?