• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Anything open near Boise at the end of April?

Puck it

Anyone know of anything open that late around Boise? Sun Valley closes mid April. Grand Targhee? Or something else? I have a free flight to Boise since wife is staying out for meetings.

hippiechick

I'm from Idaho, sorry I haven't seen your post yet. Targhee has to close down by April 21st if I remember, because they're on forest service land. Jackson will stay open as long as they have snow, but it's only been an okay year out there. Same thing with all of the SLC parks. But that's a hell of a drive from Boise...

Puck it

I'm from Idaho, sorry I haven't seen your post yet. Targhee has to close down by April 21st if I remember, because they're on forest service land. Jackson will stay open as long as they have snow, but it's only been an okay year out there. Same thing with all of the SLC parks. But that's a hell of a drive from Boise...

I thought JHMR had to close mid April due to foreat land too.

SLC is only 5.5 hours so that may be doable since Snowbird will be open for sure. I was thinking something might be closer.

AdironRider

First off, JHMR and Targhee close because noone comes after the last week in March when the last round of spring breakers bounce. The FS lease is just an excuse.

That being said, JHole will close April 7th or so, Targhee goes 1 to 2 weeks later than that.

Your options for Idaho in almost May are going to be nill, unless you want to hike for turns. Also, unlike the East Coast, spring skiing out here is really pretty dicey. Its just not the same as back home.

Also, coming from Boise, it just wouldnt be worth it. Its 5 -6 hours away realistically from the Ghee or JHMR. You'll be better off in SLC as literally everything but the local watering holes will be closed that time of year as it is.

With the sequester everything in the Yellowstone area is getting ramped up later. Pretty much delayed openings across the board by two weeks or so. Thats only going to make this place more of a ghost town this year.

hippiechick

First off, JHMR and Targhee close because noone comes after the last week in March when the last round of spring breakers bounce. The FS lease is just an excuse.

AYFKM??? Have you ever been there in the spring? That's the best time to go to both of them, because they'll actually have bluebird days. They're not busy from spring breakers. I had a season pass at GT almost every year I lived there, and I went until the last party weekend, in April.

Puck it

Brundage stays open late from what I found online and also a sufggestion from Epicski.

jaytrem

In Idaho, Silver Mountain has been known to extend their ski season when the snow is good. It's not at all close to Boise though. Bachelor is about 5 hours and is a good possiblity.

jaytrem

Silver is 7 hours.

Yeah, less likely to be open too. Bachelor and Snowbird are no doubt your best bets. The Boise/Bend drive is a fast one. Lots of flat roads in the middle of no where. Pretty sure it took me less than 5, I remember it being quicker than I expected.

Puck it

Yeah, less likely to be open too. Bachelor and Snowbird are no doubt your best bets. The Boise/Bend drive is a fast one. Lots of flat roads in the middle of no where. Pretty sure it took me less than 5, I remember it being quicker than I expected.

Looks to be all on US20 for the most part in the high desert of Eastern OR.

jaytrem

Oh and if Brundage is open I can send you at least 1 Skullcandy Booklet that would have a free weekday ticket. Not sure what their late season schedule is though.

ScottySkis

AYFKM??? Have you ever been there in the spring? That's the best time to go to both of them, because they'll actually have bluebird days. They're not busy from spring breakers. I had a season pass at GT almost every year I lived there, and I went until the last party weekend, in April.

So you like spring skiing.?

AdironRider

Ive lived here for seven years, to each their own I suppose, but spring skiing here is meh IMO.

Huh? Define?

Technically further south than the Northeast, and you can feel the effects of stronger sun. Corn windows are shorter before it cruds up. If I want to split hairs, I think manmade snow skies better in temps above freezing. Rock hard crusts all morning on anything south facing.

It comes down to this, we average upwards of 500" a year. Spring skiing is a means to an end after some months where we get more snow than I would see in an entire season back home. Jaded I suppose. But its how I consider it. Certainly not worth traveling 5-6 hours each way for even if they were open. Thats for damn sure.

Puck it

Technically further south than the Northeast, and you can feel the effects of stronger sun. Corn windows are shorter before it cruds up. If I want to split hairs, I think manmade snow skies better in temps above freezing. Rock hard crusts all morning on anything south facing.

It comes down to this, we average upwards of 500" a year. Spring skiing is a means to an end after some months where we get more snow than I would see in an entire season back home. Jaded I suppose. But its how I consider it. Certainly not worth traveling 5-6 hours each way for even if they were open. Thats for damn sure.

Yes, I have experienced it at JHMR and Snowbird. Everything is locked up hard that is not groomed and by 1 to 2, it is a watery mess.