• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Attitash Opening Date

Gforce

It seems next Saturday will be the opening date, December 7. Considering the number of trails Loon (20?) and other similar mountains have open, Dec 7 looks like a delayed start. The Ski Area Operators are promoting Wildcat as the area getting early season snow making focus- however the 'Cat only has a couple trails open.

Is this typical ..,anyone have any insights ?

KD7000

Interesting. I always had the impression that Attitash was the more "commercial" of the two ventures, and would be more likely to blow early season snow/ attract early season skiers. Wildcat, being the more natural/classic mt, would open later when the natural snowfall was there.

Then again, I haven't actually skied Attitash since the early 90's and was last up at Wildcat about 5 years ago.

canobie#1

Peaks resort is doing a crap job with attitash. They should have been open two weeks ago with their new snowmaking system. Wildcat should have more open, they still haven't opened upper lynx for some reason.
I will give peaks some credit once they remove that stupid summit triple at the tash.

kickstand

I will give peaks some credit once they remove that stupid summit triple at the tash.
It's not that simple. The upper 2 thirds of the mountain is national forest land. It is leased. They can't just throw a new lift in. This has been talked about for a long, long time. Besides, as much as you may hate the triple, it keep crowds at the summit down. Imagine what they would be like up there if capacity were doubled or tripled. I'll take the slower lift ride over the crowds, thank you very much.

xlr8r

They can just build a detachable quad with additional spacing between the chairs. It is possible for them to build a faster lift to the top on the same exact liftline with the same exact capacity. Attitash has just used the capacity excuse for years. The place has definetly become the stepchild of Peak Resorts. Disappointing after the major snowmaking investment they made when the purchased the place

canobie#1

It sucks for all of us when its a 20 minute ride to the top.
Attitash side sucks. Every trail has a cross over trail in the middle of it, theres tons of walking and their one high speed gets you nowhere.
Bear Peak is way better. Better lift, better trails and a better layout (other than bareback)

steamboat1

I don't know? I kinda liked Attitash the few times I've skied it especially the Attitash side. Didn't particularly care for Bear Peak I used to ski there with the old ASC pass so it's been awhile but I don't think much has changed. Shame they haven't been able to open yet.

Edd

The opening date feels normal to me but I'm not positive. Wildcat has a significant elevation advantage over Attitash.

midd

This is the first year they've pushed Wildcat specifically as the first to open of the two mountains. December 7th is a little late, but in line with Attitash's normal timing.

Feedback from around town is that ownership has done a good job reconnecting with the MWV and they had some record attendance days last year. I'd say its a big improvement over say 3-4 years ago.

kickstand

They can just build a detachable quad with additional spacing between the chairs. It is possible for them to build a faster lift to the top on the same exact liftline with the same exact capacity. Attitash has just used the capacity excuse for years. The place has definetly become the stepchild of Peak Resorts. Disappointing after the major snowmaking investment they made when the purchased the place

It's not just a capacity thing, it's a permit thing, too. Again, it's on national forest land. That brings in all of the government red tape to the process. A HS quad running less than capacity could work, but getting cleared to do the work is a problem.

Gforce

I'd be interested in seeing what their opening date history is. After being away a very long time I'm back with Attitash/WC as my primary mountain.

It is interesting that Loon had a strong opening 1 full month before Atittash, by virtue of location I know Lincoln is better suited to day trippers- but a full month?, we have a relatively short season. I think that is significant.

yeggous

This year's opening date is typical for Attitash. They don't even pretend to try before December; they are typically the last major area in New Hampshire to open. They also throw in the towel at end of March -- this year scheduled for March 29. It's clearly a business driven decision. They have decent snowmaking capacity and (eventually) cover the entire mountain. Likewise money is the only reason they don't put in an express quad. The national forest issue is a red herring; many ski areas in NH operate in the national forest. They continue to run that glacially slow summit lift which really makes me think twice about going.

Management has done a good job taking control of the MWV market. The dual Attitash-Wildcat pass is a very attractive option. They also have maintained fairly reasonable prices. They're about the same as Cannon. They are more expensive than Black, Shawnee, and Cranmore. But they are cheaper than Loon, Bretton Woods, and Sunday River. Attitash has had some record attendance days recently which have created lines and crowds where none used to exist. If their attendance is not suffering, why would they buy big, expensive new equipment?

You cannot talk about Attitash without talking about Wildcat since they are operated as a single entity. Attitash has decent snowmaking, but a terrible summit lift. Wildcat has great lifts, but their snowmaking is mediocre at best, so much so that Attitash outpaces them as soon as they open. This year the tone from management has changed and they are talking more aggressively, but unfortunately have been over-promising and under-delivering. One big positive change is that they actually bought air compressors this year instead of leasing them! Their terrain offerings are definitely much better at this point this year than in the recent past, but that is even more true of their competition.

Someone mentioned that the summit is not yet open. This is true and one of the over-promise, under-deliver issues. Word from the mountain yesterday is that one of their snowmaking pipes near the summit froze solid and they are unable to get water to the top. They've apparently been trying to thaw the pipe for days now. Their latest attempt was to bring in an entire trailer load of hay. They loaded the hay onto the lift to take it to the summit yesterday afternoon. (The base looked like a barn yard yesterday.) They are/were intending to bury the pipe in the hay and then light it on fire in an attempt to thaw the pipe. You've got to give them credit for ingenuity if this works.

Last edited:

EPB

This year's opening date is typical for Attitash. They don't even pretend to try before December; they are typically the last major area in New Hampshire to open. They also throw in the towel at end of March -- this year scheduled for March 29. It's clearly a business driven decision. They have decent snowmaking capacity and (eventually) cover the entire mountain. Likewise money is the only reason they don't put in an express quad. The national forest issue is a red herring; many ski areas in NH operate in the national forest. They continue to run that glacially slow summit lift which really makes me think twice about going.

The elevation issue is a major factor here - until last year, they had taken the stance that it was best to open Attitash first because they have a much better snowmaking system. As I recall, they ended up opening Wildcat first because the difference in mid-late November temperatures was pretty extreme between the two areas that Peak abandoned opening Attitash first due to above freezing temps.

The high speed quad argument that they make is total BS. ASC got approval to build a new lift in the 90's and they probably could get one again. Further, the capacity issue doesn't hold much water either, as they built a high speed quad to the summit of Bear Peak that only carries ~1,850 people per hour, which is well below max levels of 2400 to 3000. They could easily do that on the Attitash side without overcrowding the summit trails.

Someone mentioned that the summit is not yet open. This is true and one of the over-promise, under-deliver issues. Word from the mountain yesterday is that one of their snowmaking pipes near the summit froze solid and they are unable to get water to the top. They've apparently been trying to thaw the pipe for days now. Their latest attempt was to bring in an entire trailer load of hay. They loaded the hay onto the lift to take it to the summit yesterday afternoon. (The base looked like a barn yard yesterday.) They are/were intending to bury the pipe in the hay and then light it on fire in an attempt to thaw the pipe. You've got to give them credit for ingenuity if this works.

That's better than my theory that they just didn't want to pay to run the high speed quad. I was there over the weekend and I heard from one of the employees that they didn't open Attitash to save money. Attitash could very well have the most open acreage ever during an opening weekend. They've made pretty decent headway over there.

Brad J

Someone mentioned that the summit is not yet open. This is true and one of the over-promise, under-deliver issues. Word from the mountain yesterday is that one of their snowmaking pipes near the summit froze solid and they are unable to get water to the top. They've apparently been trying to thaw the pipe for days now. Their latest attempt was to bring in an entire trailer load of hay. They loaded the hay onto the lift to take it to the summit yesterday afternoon. (The base looked like a barn yard yesterday.) They are/were intending to bury the pipe in the hay and then light it on fire in an attempt to thaw the pipe. You've got to give them credit for ingenuity if this works.[/QUOTE]

dlague

It's not that simple. The upper 2 thirds of the mountain is national forest land. It is leased. They can't just throw a new lift in. This has been talked about for a long, long time. Besides, as much as you may hate the triple, it keep crowds at the summit down. Imagine what they would be like up there if capacity were doubled or tripled. I'll take the slower lift ride over the crowds, thank you very much.

Or not go to Attitash period. Went there for the first time last year and was not a fan! I did think the crossing chairs was cool though! Bear Peak side was fun too but the lift line to the summit on that side was too long! Did not like all the criss-cross trails. I will take Wildcat if a choose a Peak Resort.

I think it is funny that the Peak resort in Southern NH (Crotched) was open this weekend!

ScottySkis

Or not go to Attitash period. Went there for the first time last year and was not a fan! I did think the crossing chairs was cool though! Bear Peak side was fun too but the lift line to the summit on that side was too long! Did not like all the criss-cross trails. I will take Wildcat if a choose a Peak Resort.

I think it is funny that the Peak resort in Southern NH (Crotched) was open this weekend!

I don't ski NH but I guess it because more paying customers will go to south NH. I do need get their again.

Brad J

Peaks resort have no intension in opening Attitash early , they did that once when they first bought it and really did a great job , the opened on Nov 17 or 18 and had Illusion open top to bottom, they made snow like crazy until Feb vacation. and closed around the first of April with just about wall to wall coverage. As for freezing up the water lines at Wildcat just no excuse, they are always trying to micromanage to save money. They need to go over to Killington and see what a early opening reputation does for there bottom line. I believe in the make it and they will come theory. I am a pass holder and they drive me crazy with there attitude they must have found the files from American Ski that gave step by step instructions how to screw up a good ski area, The triple does not need to be replaced just run faster , maybe a movable ramp like they did at Sugarloaf , and Alta , If the could get it to run to the top in 12 min instead of 17 with no stops would be acceptable. If they did a detachable run fewer chairs to get the same number of people up there just faster. The former manager at a pass holders party stated that it would be 6 mil and they would have to raise ticket prices. I think that the peak resort management need to ride this lift day in opening to close for a month and see if they think is fine. With all of this said I really like the mountain manager and feel he does the best he can with the budget he is given. My problem is with peak resort .