• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Attitash - Peaks Customer Service

thebigo

Wanted to let people know how Attitash, and one would assume Peaks, is treating their customers.

My wife purchased a Ranger pass at Attitash in the spring. At the time we were trying to get pregnant but for a number of medical reasons, which I would rather not discuss in a public forum, it was unlikely that she would be able to get pregnant and even more unlikely that she would carry the baby to term. Regardless, we purchased the pass under the security of the FAQ on the peak pass website. The language was as follows:

‘If I were injured or had a medical condition that would inhibit me from using my pass this season what options would I have?’

‘We would offer a full refund or other options (transfer your pass, resort credit, etc) prior to your home mountain opening for the winter season.’

The language on the peak pass website was recently changed but fortunately I obtained a screen shot of the original language, attached to this post.

We found out in May that we could expect another child. Due to the aforementioned medical issues we delayed in contacting Attitash, she wanted to be able to ski if we lost the baby. She was however advised to limit activity due to previous complications.

In September, after reaching 20 weeks I contacted Attitash requesting the refund that was clearly offered on their website. I was told to obtain a doctor’s note and submit the request via email. Following her next appointment we submitted a letter from her Obstetrician clearly stating that she is not to ski this upcoming season. We promptly emailed the letter to Attitash and received no reply for one week, upon following up we were told that approval by the GM was required and he had been on vacation, then at Hunter for a meeting. I followed up again, after another week with no reply, then received the following response:

I have received a determination from our GM and he is willing to offer a credit toward a season pass for next season. He states that the wording on the peakpass.com faq’s is refund or other options (transfer your pass , resort credit, etc) the refund option refers to someone no longer able to ski due to an injury or illness. A credit toward the following year is the normal protocol in cases such as yours. A formal letter with this information will be mailed. I hope all is well and look forward to your return next season!

The response is clearly in conflict with a reasonable interpretation of the language originally on the peak pass website. I suspect they are aware, because the language was changed shortly after we submitted our refund claim. Further, credit towards a pass next season, that she will be unable to use while caring for an infant, is not helpful.

For a company to take such a skewed view of their own marketing literature over $500 makes one question both the state of their finances and whether they should be trusted in the future.

Attachments

• index.png
    index.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 180

dlague

This is typical. When my wife got injured for the season years ago she got a credit, while she was able to use it the next season it worked out. You situation should be different and I think they should be reasonable to the situation.

Puck it

I received a credit towards next season after breaking shoulder. This is typical.

Edd

In the case of a couple having a child, it seems reasonable to get a refund, as opposed to a credit. The goodwill it could create is worth the risk of losing the $, IMO. Regardless if it's typical or not.

Jully

In the case of a couple having a child, it seems reasonable to get a refund, as opposed to a credit. The goodwill it could create is worth the risk of losing the $, IMO. Regardless if it's typical or not.

While I agree, I wonder if things would have turned out differently had you spoken to management before you bought the pass. Obviously you were not expecting to have a child so it was hardly a concern at the time, but I still wonder. I've always thought that even though Peaks is a national company, their individual mountains still operate in a way that feels pretty local. Many members of this board know some of the management at Mt. Snow and Wildcat. I'd have hoped for a more specific response before you'd dropped the money for the pass. Still begs the question why they'd have that short description on their website anyway and not just say "if you have specific questions, please contact our season pass office."

To me the biggest frustration here is the lack of season pass insurance. I'm assuming, had there been insurance, that you would have just bought that just in case. Instead they have that shoddy wordsmithing on their website which they appeared to be able to interpret anyway they like. In the future, once they have insurance, I'm sure it won't be a problem, but the lack of specifics in their description is a little concerning, but not necessarily trying to screw you, just indicative of transition.

Last edited:

cdskier

To me the biggest frustration here is the lack of season pass insurance. I'm assuming, had there been insurance, that you would have just bought that just in case. Instead they have that shoddy wordsmithing on their website which they appeared to be able to interpret anyway they like. In the future, once they have insurance, I'm sure it won't be a problem, but the lack of specifics in their description is a little concerning.

To me it is a bit troubling that they outright changed the verbiage on the website and don't seem to want to honor what was originally there at the time of purchase. Since he has a screenshot of it saying "full refund or", they should honor the full refund part as they were never specific in how the determination is made on which of the "or" options applies in what scenarios. To me this is a medical condition and a refund should fully apply. Not quite sure I understand the business sense from Peak's perspective in refusing to give one for this situation (especially since you're only talking about $500). By not giving one, they are not only creating a negative impression from the person they aren't giving it to, but are now also creating a negative impression with other people when the story is shared.

SkiFanE

Seems fair to me. Why were you buying a pass last spring? I bet because it was cheaper. If you waited until now, it would be more expensive (I am guessing, I don't know in your case). So if it was that much up in the air you could have waited and all would be fine. But because you wanted early discount - that's the risk. We've been pass holders at SR for 10 years. Already put down deposit for my girls pass, even though I wasn't sure she could ski this winter. Called up SR and the firs couple payments and deposit would be eventual credits. There was never a mention or promise of cash back. They even game me the option of canceling it, get a credit for what was paid and then in Dec if we felt okay, we could sill get spring discount rate.

So so to me seems 100% fair. You could have waited until now to buy a pass. I don't think I've ever heard of a cash refund.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I think jully's comment is correct, namely "even though Peaks is a national company, their individual mountains still operate in a way that feels pretty local." I would suggest you go "over the head of Attitash" and take your complaint directly to Peak Resorts. No ski area (or ownership group) wants this kind of negative publicity.

Jully

But because you wanted early discount - that's the risk. We've been pass holders at SR for 10 years. Already put down deposit for my girls pass, even though I wasn't sure she could ski this winter. Called up SR and the firs couple payments and deposit would be eventual credits. There was never a mention or promise of cash back. They even game me the option of canceling it, get a credit for what was paid and then in Dec if we felt okay, we could sill get spring discount rate.

So so to me seems 100% fair. You could have waited until now to buy a pass. I don't think I've ever heard of a cash refund.

While I haven't heard of a cash refund without insurance either, the part that concerns me is that they mentioned a full cash refund on their website and then had an or statement in parentheses. It'd be a totally different story if that statement wasn't there. They could have simply said "we do not offer insurance at this time, all pass sales are final." But they didn't. It becomes a customer service issue when you appear to be luring people into something and then bait and switch.

I agree with cdskier that it absolutely should be classified as a medical condition too. You see a doctor, and the doctor said because of your pregnancy you cannot ski, pretty cut and dry medical IMO.

As Joshua Segal iterated though, this doesn't necessarily reflect on other Peaks areas (minus wildcat as they are tied to attitash). Crotched and Mt. Snow could very well have interpreted this part of the peaks pass website differently.

SkiFanE

While I haven't heard of a cash refund without insurance either, the part that concerns me is that they mentioned a full cash refund on their website and then had an or statement in parentheses. It'd be a totally different story if that statement wasn't there. They could have simply said "we do not offer insurance at this time, all pass sales are final." But they didn't. It becomes a customer service issue when you appear to be luring people into something and then bait and switch.

I agree with cdskier that it absolutely should be classified as a medical condition too. You see a doctor, and the doctor said because of your pregnancy you cannot ski, pretty cut and dry medical IMO.

As Joshua Segal iterated though, this doesn't necessarily reflect on other Peaks areas (minus wildcat as they are tied to attitash). Crotched and Mt. Snow could very well have interpreted this part of the peaks pass website differently.

I still disagree - if I had doubts I would never have banked on a nebulous FAQ, and it clearly was. Whether they should have done that - I have no idea. And I doubt his badmouthing attitash on this is a valid threat. no one here has ever heard of a cash refund, so I don't see why in this case it's any different. Early purchase = great deal + risk.

and next time - get pregnant around Thanksgiving, then she doesn't miss a season at all :). I was skiing. After c-section at t-day with my end of Aug baby, and into Spring with him. And man...he was a good skier by 3yo - he learned super early.

cdskier

I'd be more inclined to agree with you if Peaks hadn't specifically stated in their FAQ at the time of his purchase that a full refund was an option prior to the opening of your home resort if you couldn't ski due to an injury or medical condition.

If it said, "sorry, no refunds, all sales final", then sure they'd have some grounds to stand on for not refunding the pass and instead offering a credit for a future purchase as a courtesy.

SkiFanE

I'd be more inclined to agree with you if Peaks hadn't specifically stated in their FAQ at the time of his purchase that a full refund was an option prior to the opening of your home resort if you couldn't ski due to an injury or medical condition.

If it said, "sorry, no refunds, all sales final", then sure they'd have some grounds to stand on for not refunding the pass and instead offering a credit for a future purchase as a courtesy.

I don't think it said he would get a cash refund. "...full refund or other options" would have made me suspicious and have placed a call. If it said "you will get a full refund" I would agree with you. And in FAQs....not the agreement you signed (I think is how OP found out). He didn't call first. It was all fuzzy - and they're playing the way everyone here has been treated. My daughter had a "medical condition" and I didn't get it either (if we went that route). I am the queen of reading the small print - nothing goes past me lol (why I have 2 apps on my phone - I actually read those privacy notices!) You want to drive businesses crazy - stop and read what you sign fully while they stand there expecting you to just sign (the 5 you get a new docs office for example). I feel bad for OP, but I side with the defendant.

ski&soccermom

Based on your screen shot, I would fight this. It says that if they haven't opened yet you can get a full refund. That said, the credit should be good for any purchases you make this season - food, clothing, next season's pass, so hopefully you can use it if you don't prevail with this. Congratulations on the pregnancy and I hope all goes well!!!

snoseek

If they are willing to transfer I will buy it from you.

snoseek

That would seem like a win for all involved.

Right? I just sent a message. Would totally buy as I had no idea when these passes were cheap that I would be in New England. Peaks can either push this forward for them...or appease them as a customer and put another person on their mountain, spending money and potentially gain a customer, while retaining a customer. No brainer if you ask me.

Breeze

" or other options".

What did OP not understand there ?

Baby due in late Jan of 2017 or even into mid Feb of 2017 is not going to be an " infant" in December of 2017, it is going to be a toddler. Slap the credit $$ down for a child-care season pass and get both parents back on the slopes.

thebigo

and next time - get pregnant around Thanksgiving, then she doesn't miss a season at all :). I was skiing. After c-section at t-day with my end of Aug baby, and into Spring with him. And man...he was a good skier by 3yo - he learned super early.

I am both happy for you and jealous that you were able to time your pregnancy, not an option for many families including mine.

Baby due in late Jan of 2017 or even into mid Feb of 2017 is not going to be an " infant" in December of 2017, it is going to be a toddler. Slap the credit $$ down for a child-care season pass and get both parents back on the slope

Both parents work full time, our daughter will be in day care 45 hours a week from the age of three months. The first year is short we would like to enjoy it rather than putting her in daycare a sixth day a week. Rest assured however that she will be on skis at age two, just as her older sister was.

Breeze " or other options".
the reasonable interpretation is that 'or' implies the customer's choice.

Not many offer refunds anymore even for medical reasons. I would expect credit.

Then why even mention a refund? This was not hidden in a disclaimer it was specifically mentioned on the website developed to market the pass. It was either a mistake or a deliberate attempt to mislead, neither absolves your responsibility to your customer.

Right? I just sent a message. Would totally buy as I had no idea when these passes were cheap that I would be in New England. Peaks can either push this forward for them...or appease them as a customer and put another person on their mountain, spending money and potentially gain a customer, while retaining a customer. No brainer if you ask me.

Agreed, I emailed the request to Attitash this afternoon. Assuming food and beverage sales to snoseek exceed his marginal impact on the snow surface, this solution would increase revenue while also maintaining a lifelong customer as an advocate rather than an enemy.

Bonus is that I learned today snoseek lives a mile down the road, hopefully Attitash does the right thing, we can share a few rides this year and I can pick up that first round of beers.

Last edited: