• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Attn: Frequent Jay Peak skiers

Bene288

I hate to use a whole topic on this but I don't know where else to start.

My fiancé and I are heading to Jay for the first time for the weekend. I usually try new mountains with the guidance of someone who frequently skis said area. We're going in blind so I'm not sure where to start. I like trees, bumps and steeps. I also enjoy the occasional groomer. She sort of likes low angle trees and bumps. She also likes the steeps, and really loves the steeper groomers. What part of the mountain should we really look into exploring? If they get some of the projected snow on Saturday night I imagine a lot of trees will be in play.

I've skied the Catskills every Super Bowl Sunday for the last 3 years and am used to virtually no crowds. Should I expect lift lines at Jay ? What are the good bars and après spots? I could sleep in my truck but my fiancé likes to be wined and dined.

Thanks in advance!

dmw

Most woods should be in play- I just got back from 2 days there. There are definitely thin / scraped / crunchy obstacle spots, but very skiable. Today was noticeably better than yesterday, in a mysterious Jay way - the wind must have blown in powder all over; there was a flurry yesterday afternoon, but no new snow in their snow report and I don't think Jay would skip the opportunity to promote a few fresh inches.

For woods, have you looked at the map on the website? All the marked glades have pop up descriptions that seem fairly accurate.

I'm sure others on here have a lot more knowledge than myself and can advise more specifically.

BenedictGomez

Has the good stuff opened? I looked a few days ago and noticed things like Valhalla and Staircase glades etc... were closed. Even Bushwacker glades (I hear you laughing, laugh all you want, I think they're a ton of fun!) were closed.

Bene288

Most woods should be in play- I just got back from 2 days there. There are definitely thin / scraped / crunchy obstacle spots, but very skiable. Today was noticeably better than yesterday, in a mysterious Jay way - the wind must have blown in powder all over; there was a flurry yesterday afternoon, but no new snow in their snow report and I don't think Jay would skip the opportunity to promote a few fresh inches.

For woods, have you looked at the map on the website? All the marked glades have pop up descriptions that seem fairly accurate.

I'm sure others on here have a lot more knowledge than myself and can advise more specifically.

I have been following local mets and NWS for the weather. They may pick up a few inches Saturday night - Sunday morning. I don't think it'll be a whole lot but I'm sure even 2-4 would help. I'm just excited to go somewhere new.

bdfreetuna

There's so much woods at Jay plus plenty of stuff which will be out of play this weekend like the ridge and chutes.

Jay takes at least a few days to get a real grasp of. If it's your first time there you might as well follow the map and ski what looks like fun. If there was more snow I'd say you must hit the Ridge.. who knows maybe there is enough snow for that now?

Have fun Jay Peak is a surreal wonderland of awesome.

BenedictGomez

Make sure you and your fiancé have lunch at Alice's Table (main lodge, next to the Tram) one of the days. Fantastic food and nice atmosphere.

dmw

Did Valhalla Wednesday, thin scraped spots, but open and ok. Staircase, not open. Bushwacker, hit it first run today, open and fine. Timbuktu was pretty good, Expo Glade surprisingly fresh, and I thought Beaver Pond was awesome. Don't think any of the Face / Ridge is open.

BenedictGomez

Looking at the 00z GFS, looks like some decent snow headed for Jay Saturday with cold temps. Sunday could be a phenomenal ski day for sure.

crank

Anytime Jay has 70 trails open you can ski plenty of glades, trees and woods both in bounds and out. There are plenty of low angle glades for your fiancé to have fun in. Moonwalk, Bushwhacker and Kokomo are all basically novice glades. Beaver Pond is steep at the top and mellows out very quickly to an easy pitch. Though it is a popular run, it often holds the best snow on the hill (maybe that's why it's so popular) It's not so big a hill that you can't get the lay of the land after exploring edge to edge for a morning.

For Steep Groomers try Can Am off the Bonadventure chair and not quite as steep, Jet off the Stateside Triple. And, by the way, they don't call the Green Mountain Flyer chair the Freezer for nothing.

Have fun, you guys will love it. If I was able to get away this weekend Jay is where I would go.

STREETSKIER

I wouldn't ski woods there's no snow trails are barely covered! But you will so you can claim in the trees getting fresh!

dlague

There's so much woods at Jay plus plenty of stuff which will be out of play this weekend like the ridge and chutes.

Jay takes at least a few days to get a real grasp of. If it's your first time there you might as well follow the map and ski what looks like fun. If there was more snow I'd say you must hit the Ridge.. who knows maybe there is enough snow for that now?

Have fun Jay Peak is a surreal wonderland of awesome.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

fbrissette

Bene228,

DMW description is accurate.

Most glades are open but with thin cover. Unless you ski slowly and deliberately, expect to scrape rocks and branches but they are definitely very skiable. As usual Beaver has the best coverage. Valhalla is good especially if you you take one the narrowest chutes to skier left.

If you're new to Jay, take the tram very early or very late, otherwise the wait may not be worth it. Most people wait 40 minutes to ski the Vermonter or Northway which is mind boggling.

There are only 2 worthwhile trails skiable right now off the tram. Valhalla and Green Beret. Green Beret is officially closed but very skiable especially if you enter from the second entrance (hidden 40 feet past the main entrance). After the steeper part, hang right back into Valhalla or traverse left to some nice little drops.

Not much in terms of steeps open. Anything off the ridge would be dangerous, tuckerman chutes and the face are closed.

Would be happy to show you around. We'll be taking first tram around 8h20AM Saturday after dropping our son to the freeski team. Let us know if you're interested and if you can make it.

Benedict Gomez mentioned Alice's table which is good, but our favorite by far is the Clubhouse Grill (golf course clubhouse) which has Mexican/American food. If you're willing to drive 10 minutes, Bernice in Montgomery Center has very tasty food (don't let the look of the place fool you, it is very good).

fbrissette

Bene288, looks like your fiance and you will get a little taste of the Jay Cloud. Right in the 6-8 sweet spot.

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

MadMadWorld

Has the good stuff opened? I looked a few days ago and noticed things like Valhalla and Staircase glades etc... were closed. Even Bushwacker glades (I hear you laughing, laugh all you want, I think they're a ton of fun!) were closed.

Staircase needs a lot of snow. Parts of it get very wind blown and has a lot of hidden hazards.

Bene288

Thanks for all the help, everyone. Jay is quite the place. We got here at 12:00 am and walked into an absolutely beautiful room. The skiing is fantastic I think. I've heard some grumbling among the locals about the conditions. Longest lift line is maybe 15 minutes but trails are not congested. Reminds me very much like Gore the way that the mountain skis.

fbrissette

The skiing is fantastic I think.

The skiing sucks, at least by Jay Peak standards. The worse it's been for a long long time in February. Very happy you are enjoying your time here.

Snow forecasts went from 6 to 8, back to 4o 6 and now they are forecasting 8 to 10, with most of it falling overnight. That should give you a much better idea of the true Jay Peak.

BenedictGomez

Longest lift line is maybe 15 minutes but trails are not congested.

Is that for the Tram? The Tram can sometimes be 30 or 40 minutes (which is why I never take it), but it's not too often I get stuck in a 15 minute line at Jay.

Is it Canadian school vacation week?

EDIT: And if not, fbissette, when is that this year? (so I can avoid it, lol)

fbrissette

Is that for the Tram? The Tram can sometimes be 30 or 40 minutes (which is why I never take it), but it's not too often I get stuck in a 15 minute line at Jay.

Is it Canadian school vacation week?

EDIT: And if not, fbissette, when is that this year? (so I can avoid it, lol)

First week of March. Everything is booked solid for the week. I would avoid it too if I could... I love french canadians but I like them better when they ski north of the border. As to me, I think of myself as half vermonter.... If I had 500k to give to Bill Stenger, I would move here.