• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Attn: Yard Sale!

SKidds

I had a pretty good one a couple weeks ago at Gore. Well, more of a powder dive than a yard sale.

This was a Thursday after a 15 inch dump, 20+ over the past 3 days. On this powder day I also discovered skiing with the ipod cranked. Powder, music, a good rhythm, High Pines Glade under the lift.......noice!

So I'm staying in the powder (12 plus inches of fluff) skiers right, cruising at speed when I hit a knoll, catch some air, maintain my balance, when next I hit the snow about 8 feet down slope. It didn't end well. My skis landed just fine, body postion on landing is good, didn't fall into the back seat or anything....ready to continue the hard charge. Problem is, my skis landed in 2+ feet of powder.....and stayed where they landed. Double release over the handle bars and I end up another 10 feet down slope, buried head first in said powder. All in a split second. Must have been a heck of a sight from the lift, only problem is I can't hear the reaction because of the aforementioned music. Had to dig deep to find the buried skies once I waded back up to the landing site.

There are good falls and bad falls. That was a good one. Mucho fun.

octopus

heres a good one.
i was riding with 2 of my friends, 1skier, 1boarder, and my friend gets to the lift first and hops on alone. i'm a bit behind and realize i won't make that chair so i wait at the gate for the next chair. all of a sudden my other skier friend flies right by me to get on the lift, before i can say anything, chair comes around, hip checks him out of his skis and down he goes! liftie stops the lift and my friend already on the lift turns around to see what happens and falls out of his chair! good times. i just stood there and laughed, everyone was ok, liftie looked very annoyed:smile:

RISkier

Glad to hear all are OK cause it certainly made me laugh. No doubt most of us have experienced some lift carnage.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
heres a good one.
i was riding with 2 of my friends, 1skier, 1boarder, and my friend gets to the lift first and hops on alone. i'm a bit behind and realize i won't make that chair so i wait at the gate for the next chair. all of a sudden my other skier friend flies right by me to get on the lift, before i can say anything, chair comes around, hip checks him out of his skis and down he goes! liftie stops the lift and my friend already on the lift turns around to see what happens and falls out of his chair! good times. i just stood there and laughed, everyone was ok, liftie looked very annoyed:smile:

Good one! Next time, meet up with a water bar. To get it perfect you'll have to go too slow! :-?

BTW, how come there is never a photo of a Y.S.?

MommaBear

BTW, how come there is never a photo of a Y.S.?

Trust me, the picture is firmly etched in my brain. Just yesterday slid on icy conditions and feet went out from under me. Hit my head hard then slid for a few feet. Caught my breath and finally sat up - no skis, no poles, no hat, no goggles. Turn to look up hill and now truly understand the description of a yard sale. My stuff, including eyeglasses and aforementioned missing gear, were spread out over a 12 foot section of snow about 20 feet up the slope from me, including one ski landing in the woods off to the side. Aside from "God, that hurt" all I could think of was "so, THAT'S why they call it a yard sale!" ;-)

ceo

Worst yard sale I ever pulled was when I was 12 or so, blasting down Spillway. There were the usual ridges of snow uphill and downhill of the lift towers where the groomers couldn't go, and I went for the big air off one of these, got too far forward, landed in a glorious bellyflop and ragdolled down the slope. Lost it all: skis, poles, goggles, glasses, hat, gloves; surprised my boots, jacket and pants stayed on. Had to lie there for a moment running a quick systems check before I dared move. Oh, did I mention this was right under Spillway in the middle of school vacation week?

I hadn't heard the term "yard sale" at this point, but understood it intuitively the first time I did hear it.