• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Audi

hammer

I own an Audi. I'm pretty happy. That said, here's probably the biggest problem I have with the dealers, hot off the email inbox:

Have you been holding off getting that Check Engine Light diagnosed because of the diagnostic charge?

In our attempt to assist in this difficult economy, we will check your check engine light

for $89.95

This is a savings of
$ 25.00

Silly me. I thought they'd offer the service for FREE. :roll:
I just go to my indie shop.
:eek::eek:

I don't blame the shops for charging a nominal amount to pull a code, but with the proper equipment it's a very short check, isn't it?

Do you find that your independent shop can handle repairs on your Audi? Are the parts still expensive?

WJenness

I own an Audi. I'm pretty happy. That said, here's probably the biggest problem I have with the dealers, hot off the email inbox:

Have you been holding off getting that Check Engine Light diagnosed because of the diagnostic charge?

In our attempt to assist in this difficult economy, we will check your check engine light

for $89.95

This is a savings of
$ 25.00

Silly me. I thought they'd offer the service for FREE. :roll:
I just go to my indie shop.

Thats why they call them STEALERships...

My Buddy has one of these:
http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=VCKII&Category_Code=VAGCOM

No need to ever pay for me to find out what the codes are (plus you can do some cool mods). As you also noted a good independent shop is worth the car's weight in gold...

If you ever need it, let me know and I can probably help you out.

-w

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
:eek::eek:

I don't blame the shops for charging a nominal amount to pull a code, but with the proper equipment it's a very short check, isn't it?

Do you find that your independent shop can handle repairs on your Audi? Are the parts still expensive?

My shop is capable of doing just about anything. They are a very smart bunch of guys working there. The overall cost is about 2/3 of what I would pay at the dealer, that applies to both parts and labor rate. The dealer always gives me the "genuine only" line everytime I compare a lot.

I will say that you don't want to go to a shoestring indie shop however. What I mean is that this next generation of audis (2005+) has a wickedly complex "operating system" if you will, with tons of computers doing all sorts of stuff. What that means it that more sophisticated diagnostics and repair tools become essential. How do I know? Well, we had to do a full brake job on my 06 at 50K miles this winter. Because the emergency braking system is "by wire" it required a special equipment he didn't have. He had to go out and buy it and learn how to use it. I was the first of his customers that he encountered.

However, here is where the integrity came in. I said to him, "well, looking at the bill, it looks like you're eating some of the repair expense." He agreed. He said next time, he would charge more to others to amortize the cost of equipment, but had quoted me a fee and stuck too it. It also shows he's willing to make the investment, learn the tools and be there for me next time I need him. Auto Engineering, Lexington, Mass. I would trust him with not only my car, but my children too.
I started bringing the car there after the 3 year or 50K included-service "warranty" expired a year ago. He even fixed esoteric things like clogged roof drain for $80 that the dealer wanted $199.99 for. The other good news is getting appointments and flexibility is much better with an indie. I've been using indies my whole life on select model cars....

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Has anyone driven the new Audi A4? I think I saw one on the road today...has more lines to it, looks nice...
The A4 is getting really good reviews. It's supposed to be a fun small car, good for "spirited driving." Sorry, can't help you there. I'm with GSS in the grandma-driver league.
I will tell you from a paper-check that the A4 has caught up the the features in the a6 and a8 (down the foodchain it goes). If you're into gadgets, I guess that's goodness and more fun. I find the more variables, the more opportunity for failure,or at least bizarre behavior. I really don't have much bad to say about the a6 except that I can't find a good place to rest my elbows when driving, even after seat and wheel adjustments of every imaginable possibility. Rear visibility is not good on the A6 either, but those are my only complaints.

Geoff

My Buddy has one of these:
http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=VCKII&Category_Code=VAGCOM

No need to ever pay for me to find out what the codes are (plus you can do some cool mods). As you also noted a good independent shop is worth the car's weight in gold...

If you ever need it, let me know and I can probably help you out.

-w

I have one of those. I had to upgrade from a serial VagCom cable to a USB version when I sold my MK IV GTI and bought a MK V GTI. I don't see how you could own a Volkswagen product without having it. I scan my car every 5,000 miles looking for fault codes. You need it to configure the tire pressure monitoring system when you're running lower pressure snow tires in the winter.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Again, not to keep banging my Hyundai drum, but dealership experience has been yet another pleasant surprise. I recently had to swap out the rear rotors and shoes. The dealership charged me $300 including labor. I thought it was a mistake as I called around to a half dozen indie shops and they all had quotes ranging from $525-$700. I'm an honest guy and asked the dealer if they were sure? yep, that's the price.

I had an Audi for a couple of years and it was a great ride, but a killer on parts and repairs. They're a wealthy man's car. Unless an individual is a real driving enthusiast, I honestly don't see why anyone making under 100K a year would own one. I'd rather be putting that extra grand in repairs here and there in my retirement account than a repairman's wallet.

drjeff

The A4 is getting really good reviews. It's supposed to be a fun small car, good for "spirited driving." Sorry, can't help you there. I'm with GSS in the grandma-driver league.
I will tell you from a paper-check that the A4 has caught up the the features in the a6 and a8 (down the foodchain it goes). If you're into gadgets, I guess that's goodness and more fun. I find the more variables, the more opportunity for failure,or at least bizarre behavior. I really don't have much bad to say about the a6 except that I can't find a good place to rest my elbows when driving, even after seat and wheel adjustments of every imaginable possibility. Rear visibility is not good on the A6 either, but those are my only complaints.

My wife had an A4 about 2 versions ago (and before she went to the A6 and then her current Q7 for space reasons). The A4 hands down was one fun car to drive!(and as such there's many a day when I wish we had hung onto that car. Haven't driven the new one, but last year when my wife's Q7 was in the shop overnight for service, she was given an '08 A4 as a loaner, and I convienently made sure that I had to take it out and run a bunch of errands that night at stores that required me to drive down winding back roads to get there! ;)

Glenn

I learned something interesting a few years back... Service writers are dealers work on comission. They're usually paid a flate rate...min wage, then get a percentage of each bill. I beleive the parts guys are paid that way too.

Took our A6 in for a recall. They called me and told me I needed front brakes "soon, within a few thousand miles!") I knew that was BS...they were done when we bought the car. I had the 40k service done at the private dealership I deal with. Not a peep about the brakes. So it pays to keep and eye on your car; or at least your service records.

Pulling codes. Most autoparts places (AutoZone ect) will pull em for nothing. I can acutually get the Jeep to spit out the codes by doing a combo of key turns in the ignition. Pretty handy IMHO.