• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Backcountry skiing in New England?

Drew Chainz

Can anyone recommend a good place to get started doing some light backcountry tours in New England? Does anyone know anybody that guides tours or offers avalanche training?

Website
www.nebackcountry.blogspot.com
Here's a map of some of our tours. Make sure to buddy up and get some avy training before heading out though.

Mt. Cardigan (NH), Greylock (MA), and The Sherburne Trail (NH) make excellent first time tours. There's usually enough traffic that even if you go solo there will be others around to hear your cries for help. Two of them even have a place to warm your toes at the top.

Have fun and be safe!

Last edited:

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com

Drew Chainz

Thanks for all your input guys. I picked up a copy of Goodman's book and look forward to exploring. I definitely will always go with a buddy. I appreciate the tips. Hope you all have a good season this year!

abc

Can anyone recommend a good place to get started doing some light backcountry tours in New England? Does anyone know anybody that guides tours or offers avalanche training?
I'm an AMC member so I'll put in a plug for their Winter Workshop: http://activities.outdoors.org/search/index.cfm/action/details/id/65033

"Tired of the crowded lift-served areas? Leave them behind and explore the solitude of the backcountry. This course is designed for the down mountain skier who wants to jump the gap from the lift served area and "side" country to the backcountry..."

The workshop is at Cardigan. I know they do the Duke's trail on one of the days and often do the Alexandria the second day. Avi training is definitely touched on too.

The best part of the course is you might be able to hook up with future partners to go out with on other trips!

skiur

The thunderbolt trail on greylock is a great place to get started on backcountry. Also check out NELSAP, alot of the closed ski resorts around can still be skiied, while not truly backcountry it will introduce you to earning your turns in a more controlled enviorment.

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com