• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Banff info

Edd

We're considering a ski trip in a couple of weeks and Banff came up. We've never been there. Is the easiest approach flying into Calgary and driving a rental car there?

Also, any other info or opinions would be appreciated.

Sven Leonson

For awhile, work was sending me to Calgary once or twice a year so I've been able to go a couple of times.

As has been said, it's easy to fly to Calgary and get a rental car for the one hour drive to Banff. Stop in the Costco before leaving Calgary for steeply discounted lift tickets to most resorts (including Sunshine and Lake Louise).

Sunshine is about a half hour from Banff and Lake Louise is an hour. Kicking Horse is farther and while it has some crazy terrain, I'd never drive past Sunshine/LL to go there.

You've probably heard the saying (and it's true) Sunshine gets the snow but LL has the terrain. (although the lift layout at LL leaves something to be desired).

So you'll be going in late March/early April...we've never had great luck at that time. We've seemed to hit the freeze/thaw cycle when we don't go in Feb. Hopefully you'll have better luck!

For scenic mountains, you just can't beat the Canadian Rockies!

elks

We didn't bother with a car rental last year. We took a bus to Banff. There are very nice and convenient coaches buses (think leather seat buses with a bathroom) all over town that take you to Sunshine and Lake Louise. It was all part of the ski deal (bus/lifts/lodging) we got through https://www.skibig3.com We didn't miss having a car one bit. Cabs are cheap and plentiful in town as well. There are cab phones in most businesses or just ask.

Kleetus

We're considering a ski trip in a couple of weeks and Banff came up. We've never been there. Is the easiest approach flying into Calgary and driving a rental car there?

Also, any other info or opinions would be appreciated.

Doing the same thing. We booked for first weekend in April. Never been and looking forward to checking it out. Just hope it's either snowy or spring turns and not in between.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Sven Leonson

Nobody asked, but I'll throw out my run recommendations.

LL - The woods to skiers left of the Ptarmigan Quad (to the right is nice too, but haven't spent as much time there).

I was not wild about the Whitehorn areas as they take forever to do a lap. Nice alternative was laps off Paradise Triple Chair.

Sunshine - first runs of the morning - go to WaWa Quad. Runs off it get the first rays of sun so if everything is frozen those runs are the first to soften. Also, for whatever reason, I find them to just be fun! Nice way to loosen the sore muscles after a day or two of skiing the woods at LL!

I liked the terrain off of TeePee Town Double but have never really been there when there was enough snow. The trees on the lower part of Goat's Eye are fun and seem to hold the snow better.

Food: We (wife and I) tend to go to the Elk and Oarsman a lot...cheaper than a lot of places in Banff but really good food and nice vibe.

Last note about snow: once we pulled out of the hotel garage and were greeted by falling snow. Thinking this was time to hit LL, we drove past SS to LL only to see the snow taper off as we got further from SS. LL was dust on crust. Next day we went to SS. They had received several inches and there was still untracked to be found. Moral of the story: LL has the terrain but SS gets the snow!!

bdfreetuna

If you can handle the gnar check out the Wild West at Sunshine and Delerium Dive if you want to test your bravery.

I actually thought Sunshine had better terrain than Lake Louise, including woods over on Goats Eye... if it was me I might skip LL and think about making the drive to Kicking Horse (or something else).

Jully

If you can handle the gnar check out the Wild West at Sunshine and Delerium Dive if you want to test your bravery.

I actually thought Sunshine had better terrain than Lake Louise, including woods over on Goats Eye... if it was me I might skip LL and think about making the drive to Kicking Horse (or something else).

Have you been to Kicking Horse (or has anyone else here)? Is the Gondola able to be lapped or is there too much of a run out to make it worth it? I'm interested in doing a Banff trip next year, but personally am looking to do more like 2 or 3 days at KH and 1 or 2 at Sunshine and LL.

bdfreetuna

nope I just know LL didn't impress me much other than some of the trees next to Ptarmigan. Otherwise I remember it being a bunch of wide open bowls, kind of monotonous to me compared to the terrain at Sunshine which was more diverse.

Sven Leonson

Kicking Horse - I was there two years ago for a day. It was raining on the lower mountain and wet snow on the top so we stayed on the top (didn't do gondola laps). This really limits the amount of terrain since the only other lift is 'stairway to heaven'.

If you want a challenge, there is a lot of terrain served by hiking (need Gondola to get back though). I didn't do it so I can't report on difficulty (one friend who did do it - Fuez Bowl - commented that you wouldn't want to fall).

I don't take exception to Tuna's comments about LL vs SS. They both have their features and, more importantly, moments. Goats Eye (above tree line) has always been wind scoured when I've been there so I might not have as favorable impression of it. Additionally Wild West and Delirium have not been open when I've been there. Conversely, last time I was at LL, it was after a snow and everything was in play (including the pillows in the 'rock garden' off of the Larch lift.)

Sven Leonson

Something to consider, I find the scenery at both SS and LL to be stunning, so much so that we've gone back in the summer to hike the area. The Canadian Rockies are simply breathtaking. If you haven't been to Banff before, that alone should be reason to go!

Kleetus

For awhile, work was sending me to Calgary once or twice a year so I've been able to go a couple of times.

As has been said, it's easy to fly to Calgary and get a rental car for the one hour drive to Banff. Stop in the Costco before leaving Calgary for steeply discounted lift tickets to most resorts (including Sunshine and Lake Louise).

Sunshine is about a half hour from Banff and Lake Louise is an hour. Kicking Horse is farther and while it has some crazy terrain, I'd never drive past Sunshine/LL to go there.

You've probably heard the saying (and it's true) Sunshine gets the snow but LL has the terrain. (although the lift layout at LL leaves something to be desired).

So you'll be going in late March/early April...we've never had great luck at that time. We've seemed to hit the freeze/thaw cycle when we don't go in Feb. Hopefully you'll have better luck!

For scenic mountains, you just can't beat the Canadian Rockies!

Anyone have any places for good intel on how the conditions are out there? It doesn't look like they are in a thaw/freeze and weather for the next week looks pretty frosty out there with only a few days that are both barely above freezing at SS and LL. However, I am only guessing and basing this on the resorts conditions reports, recent snow, and forecast.

Curious if there are any forums for out there where people chime in on current conditions. I have done some hunting but haven't had any luck yet. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough

We head out the 29th and trying to gauge what to expect. Not looking like a ton of snow there between now and then but staying cold. As of now the period for when we are supposed to be out there is looking cold as well.

Sven Leonson

For current conditions, go to TGR, they have a thread going "2016-2017 Canadian Rockies Thread" that has up to date info.

Apparently FuezBowl slid yesterday!

Kleetus

For current conditions, go to TGR, they have a thread going "2016-2017 Canadian Rockies Thread" that has up to date info.

Apparently FuezBowl slid yesterday!

Thanks for the info. Didn't realize the TGR forum was that active. I used to check in on there every so often a couple years back but forgot about it TBH.

Edd

Arriving 2nd and leaving the 8th. Skiing Mon - Fri. A friend booked the flights. Now I'm on the hook to find lodging.