• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Be greatful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Crazy.

I lost a number of people I knew from college to opioid addiction. At UVM in the late 90s, Oxys were everywhere. As prevalent as weed at parties.

I never even tried it. All I needed to know was it was related to heroin to stay away. I mean my musical hero Jerry Garcia died from heroin in 1995. Others in addition to him as well. It was a pretty easy choice to not experiment with that. But then again I was a long time cigarette smoker and that's pretty dumb too.

JimG.

Staff member
I have skied with Ty and SkiDork, years ago at Hunter. I met their children who were very young then. It's horrible what happened to their daughter.

Fentanyl is a menace. I wish society would make more of an effort to crack down on it. Tough when an allegedly reputable pharmaceutical company literally gave doctors incentives to prescribe it to people who did not qualify. Fentanyl was developed as a pain med for terminal cancer patients. It was never meant for "back pain". And once the black market saw the profit potential there are now tons of illicit product out there.

There's a lot to unpack there regarding the pharma industry and the black market.

Marijuana really has nothing to do with any of that and should be left out of the conversation.

abc

I never even tried it. All I needed to know was it was related to heroin to stay away. I mean my musical hero Jerry Garcia died from heroin in 1995. Others in addition to him as well. It was a pretty easy choice to not experiment with that.
Not Fentanyl but Oxy. I was given tons of it for the various surgeries. The first time I took it, it was basically trading one misery for several others! Constipation & vomit . Not just a little, but terrible feeling of wanting to puke! Far more miserable than the pain it was meant to suppress.

I still have stashes of various different kind of the same family of drugs as doctor's tried to prescribe different ones I may tolerate better. After a couple more tries (one or two pills each), I finally decide I can tolerate the pain better than I can tolerate the side effect of the pain meds.

Can't understand how it can be a desirable drug of "recreation"! Totally beyond me.

MikeW

Fentanyl was actually developed as an anesthetic drug for use during anesthesia for surgery. And it is a very useful and commonly used drug-when used for that purpose. The problem is: 1-Its cheap and easy to synthesize. 2-The dose usually given for most anesthetics is 100 micrograms. A microgram is one millionth of a gram. So your anesthesiologist can safely administer one ten thousandth of a gram to a patient, but the dealer cannot make that measurement on a kitchen table, resulting in all those fatal overdoses.

JimG.

Staff member
Not Fentanyl but Oxy. I was given tons of it for the various surgeries. The first time I took it, it was basically trading one misery for several others! Constipation & vomit . Not just a little, but terrible feeling of wanting to puke! Far more miserable than the pain it was meant to suppress.

I still have stashes of various different kind of the same family of drugs as doctor's tried to prescribe different ones I may tolerate better. After a couple more tries (one or two pills each), I finally decide I can tolerate the pain better than I can tolerate the side effect of the pain meds.

Can't understand how it can be a desirable drug of "recreation"! Totally beyond me.
Totally agree.

I despise opiods and won't take them. I hear you about the constipation and vomit. I don't get how people are addicted to that stuff. I learned about morphine when I broke my leg. I woke up in recovery with a button in my hand and was told to push the button if I felt pain. I did that until I figured out that every time I pushed the button I puked. So I stopped pushing it. After an hour the nurses came in and asked with concern why I wasn't taking my pain meds. I'd rather feel pain than puke into a garbage can every 20 minutes was my reply.

Doctor finally prescribed Tylenol with a low dose of codeine. It was acceptable but frankly I'd have preferred a nice bong hit. I consider myself very fortunate that I react poorly to pain meds and cannot take them.

JimG.

Staff member
Fentanyl was actually developed as an anesthetic drug for use during anesthesia for surgery. And it is a very useful and commonly used drug-when used for that purpose. The problem is: 1-Its cheap and easy to synthesize. 2-The dose usually given for most anesthetics is 100 micrograms. A microgram is one millionth of a gram. So your anesthesiologist can safely administer one ten thousandth of a gram to a patient, but the dealer cannot make that measurement on a kitchen table, resulting in all those fatal overdoses.
I did not know it was developed as an anesthetic. The DEA site claims it was developed for cancer pain treatment.

Kingslug20

Never dealt with these drugs..they sound incredibly...horrible..in all respects..i cant imagine wanting to take them...yet a friend of mine is addicted to them.
I havent seen him in years..he fell off the grid.
We tried an intervention..no go.

Dickc

I have been prescribed Oxycontin, and had a reaction called Serotonin syndrome. That can get real nasty, real fast. I stopped them when I figured it out and before it got bad. I later was given hydromorphone and after 2 days felt the syndrome start all over again.

Serotonin syndrome

I can take low doses for only 1-2 days before the onset of symptoms, and IV Morphine gave me super high blood pressure and a very messed up heart beat. I just have to take Tylenol and live with the surgical pain. Back surgeries HURT. Just Tylenol is really tough for the first week with a back surgery!!!

abc

I consider myself very fortunate that I react poorly to pain meds and cannot take them.
I'm not tough like you.

I don't want to think about excruciating pain and not able to take any strong meds to dull them.

I've scaled back some of my activities. I hope I will never get hurt or need to have surgery bad enough that I need pain medication. For I know I can't handle the side effect of pain meds. I only hope I don't have to endure pain that I can't handle without the help of pain med.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have been prescribed Oxycontin, and had a reaction called Serotonin syndrome. That can get real nasty, real fast. I stopped them when I figured it out and before it got bad. I later was given hydromorphone and after 2 days felt the syndrome start all over again.

Serotonin syndrome

I can take low doses for only 1-2 days before the onset of symptoms, and IV Morphine gave me super high blood pressure and a very messed up heart beat. I just have to take Tylenol and live with the surgical pain. Back surgeries HURT. Just Tylenol is really tough for the first week with a back surgery!!!

My dad unfortunately is a very frequent flyer with back surgeries and feels the same as you do in regards to pain management. Maybe it's better given the danger of opioids. He just had his sixth fusion surgery two weeks ago. T6 through T10. Now fully fused from T6 through S1. This last one ended playing golf for good for him. 😞

Dickc

My dad unfortunately is a very frequent flyer with back surgeries and feels the same as you do in regards to pain management. Maybe it's better given the danger of opioids. He just had his sixth fusion surgery two weeks ago. T6 through T10. Now fully fused from T6 through S1. This last one ended playing golf for good for him. 😞
Tell him I feel his pain!!!! I hope he recovers quickly too!!!

I've had L2 fused to L3, to L4, to L5, and that all to the S1. It means I have a little bit to go to catch up to him. L1-L2 is showing signs of degrading a LOT. I've recently had a bit of pain increase, and fear that joint will have to add to the stack. Hoping to get through the winter before it all goes to hell.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Tell him I feel his pain!!!! I hope he recovers quickly too!!!

I've had L2 fused to L3, to L4, to L5, and that all to the S1. It means I have a little bit to go to catch up to him. L1-L2 is showing signs of degrading a LOT. I've recently had a bit of pain increase, and fear that joint will have to add to the stack. Hoping to get through the winter before it all goes to hell.
All the best Dick. ❤️

JimG.

Staff member
I'm not tough like you.

I don't want to think about excruciating pain and not able to take any strong meds to dull them.

I've scaled back some of my activities. I hope I will never get hurt or need to have surgery bad enough that I need pain medication. For I know I can't handle the side effect of pain meds. I only hope I don't have to endure pain that I can't handle without the help of pain med.
lol tough!

A hate puking! I feel your pain. I have a high threshold and I'm a determined old guy.

ScottySkis

Kinda like charcters in cgerch and chong hilarious movie:
"Mississippi's Republican Governor goes into full 'reefer madness' mode yesterday when speaking out against the adoption of medical cannabis access. He claims that permitting medical marijuana will increase crime and raise unemployment rates. He opines that allowing patients to possess 3.5 grams of cannabis at any one time is excessive. Watch his full remarks here and remember that over 70 percent of Mississippians previously voted to legalize medical marijuana, only to have their decision thrown away by the state Supreme Court."

raisingarizona

Kinda like charcters in cgerch and chong hilarious movie:
"Mississippi's Republican Governor goes into full 'reefer madness' mode yesterday when speaking out against the adoption of medical cannabis access. He claims that permitting medical marijuana will increase crime and raise unemployment rates. He opines that allowing patients to possess 3.5 grams of cannabis at any one time is excessive. Watch his full remarks here and remember that over 70 percent of Mississippians previously voted to legalize medical marijuana, only to have their decision thrown away by the state Supreme Court."

This guy continually says “I think” and “I believe” making it very clear that these are his opinions about marijuana use. That’s not his job, as an elected official he should be representing the people that voted him into that position, not forcing his beliefs on others. It’s none of our governments business what we do, consume or enjoy as grown adults. This guy needs to be voted out of office.

abc

This guy continually says “I think” and “I believe” making it very clear that these are his opinions about marijuana use. That’s not his job, as an elected official he should be representing the people that voted him into that position, not forcing his beliefs on others. It’s none of our governments business what we do, consume or enjoy as grown adults. This guy needs to be voted out of office.
no, no, no!

We elect "leaders"! Not representatives! We don't know shit. We need those wise guys to tell us what we should do...

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

after the accident left me with L3 L4 L5 herniated disc’s workmen’s comp Dr’s were all about surgery, pain medication, whatever necessary to get me working, fortunately one of the best orthopedic Dr’s in the area was a girlfriend’s dad he warned against those methods ie pain medication will only mask the pain not help long term and surgery was a big risk, he said to watch my weight, stay active, avoid alcohol . I took his advice, I also still have strong meds I never use such as vicodine , besides the nasty physical side effects another side effect of the medication is making you a real ass to people (like a bad drunk) years later when a manager at a job site was being unreasonable I would ask if he was on his back pain medication, of course he realized that was effecting him, I stopped playing golf and softball got into standup paddle boarding/surfing to strengthen my core
You were lucky to find an honest Dr. who didn't see you as his mortgage payments for the next few months! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.