• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Belleayre Express?

ne_skier

Belleayre updated their website recently renaming the Superchief lift to the Belleayre Express. Is this actually happening? I haven’t seen any statement from their social media pages

ne_skier

Guess they hopped on the don't offend anyone band wagon..Next they'll rename all the friggin runs..
And I’d be willing to bet that the opposition didn’t come from the numerous Native American people living in the area including those who work at Belleayre, but rather somebody just trying to look PC and inclusive

ne_skier

Well Liftblog updated the name, so looks pretty official now

tnt1234

Guess they hopped on the don't offend anyone band wagon..Next they'll rename all the friggin runs..
The runs are the native names of geological features, right? Where as 'Super Chief' is just an english label for a native american. Are they renaming the tomahawk lift?

tnt1234

Probably rename the whole place...oy
I don't think so. Same reason I don't think they will rename the runs. Using native names isn't offensive, but using a made up label for a native american is to many people.

ne_skier

The runs are the native names of geological features, right? Where as 'Super Chief' is just an english label for a native american. Are they renaming the tomahawk lift?
95% of the names of the runs can be traced back to Native American origins or are names of geological features, although a lot of the geological features happen to also be named after Native-related things. The area's pretty heavy with Natives, and Belleayre happens to employ a few, although I doubt it was the locals who wanted that name changed. Tomahawk is still Tomahawk.

BenedictGomez

Using native names isn't offensive, but using a made up label for a native american is to many people.
If by "many people", you mean white liberals attempting to virtue-signal in an overtly showy & public manner by using minorities as a tool with which to make themselves appear self-righteous, then yes, "many people" indeed.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Just a friendly reminder guys that we should all try to be kind to each other here. It is thanksgiving tomorrow after all. :)

faceplant

If by "many people", you mean white liberals attempting to virtue-signal in an overtly showy & public manner by using minorities as a tool with which to make themselves appear self-righteous, then yes, "many people" indeed.

Attachments

• washington-orange-skins-twitter-has-ideas-for-the-nfl-teams-renaming-in-the-trump-era.jpg
    washington-orange-skins-twitter-has-ideas-for-the-nfl-teams-renaming-in-the-trump-era.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 4