• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Belleayre Express?

JimG.

Staff member
Just like Superchief, I doubt many will actually call the lifts by their new names. I’m pretty sure the Superchief signs are still up today as well, they certainly were last season. Name change is only reflected on the website.
Just like everyone still refers to the Cuomo bridge as the Tappan Zee.

tnt1234

lol yeah noticed that yesterday.

Skiing was very good yesterday, top to bottom on Deer Run and especially Dot Nebel.
Nice. Thinking about making the drive next weekend. Unless Blue opens...

tnt1234

Native Americans are cool and Native American place/thing names are also cool. If you whitewash all the names you are also whitewashing out the history and culture of this country and continent. It is a distraction from actual issues that affect native americans and only continues to push them and their culture to the sidelines of american consciousness
Hmmm...I don't know about that.

I don't think a culture is well remembered by naming things derogatory terms for said culture. Like, how does it help our understanding of native american culture to have a stereotypical cartoonish indian chief on the helmets of a football team called 'Redskins'? Should that image and name inform our understanding of native culture?

Imagine a team named 'the Honkies' or 'the Crackers' with a cartoon picture of Clark Griswold as the mascot . Is that a celebration of white american culture? Is it informing others of the traditions and values of the culture?

Having said that, I don't really think Tomahawk needs remaining. Super Chief is borderline IMO. But there are plenty of other things that definitely should be renamed IMO.

cdskier

Imagine a team named 'the Honkies' or 'the Crackers' with a cartoon picture of Clark Griswold as the mascot . Is that a celebration of white american culture? Is it informing others of the traditions and values of the culture?

I think that's a poor example as I think that would be hilarious and awesome.

I do understand and agree there are some things that might not be appropriate and renaming should be considered in certain cases. A lift named Tomahawk is not one of them though... So we agree there.

skiur

Just like everyone still refers to the Cuomo bridge as the Tappan Zee.

Because the name change just happened, but nobody calls the Jackie Robinson the interborough anymore, most people don't even know that jfk Airport used to be Idlewild.

cdskier

Because the name change just happened, but nobody calls the Jackie Robinson the interborough anymore, most people don't even know that jfk Airport used to be Idlewild.

In the case of the Tap, it is because everyone I know thinks the name change was one of the dumbest ideas ever and we refuse to use that stupid new name. It has nothing to do with when it happened. It should have never been changed period.

skiur

In the case of the Tap, it is because everyone I know thinks the name change was one of the dumbest ideas ever and we refuse to use that stupid new name. It has nothing to do with when it happened. It should have never been changed period.
While I agree with you on changing the name was stupid, in 15 years (unless it gets changed again with the cuomo family issues) people wont be calling it the tapanzee anymore just like the interborough and Idlewild and the numerous stupid name changes thru the years.

JimG.

Staff member
I think that's a poor example as I think that would be hilarious and awesome.

I do understand and agree there are some things that might not be appropriate and renaming should be considered in certain cases. A lift named Tomahawk is not one of them though... So we agree there.
You see you've got a sense of humor.

Seemingly as rare today as common sense.

Kingslug20

I'm glad I don't have kids...explaining all this to them would be...painful.

spiderpig

While I agree with you on changing the name was stupid, in 15 years (unless it gets changed again with the cuomo family issues) people wont be calling it the tapanzee anymore just like the interborough and Idlewild and the numerous stupid name changes thru the years.
The Triborough, Queensboro, and Brooklyn Battery are still hanging on

catskills

We all need to show more respect to Native Americans. I think its sad how many people on this thread, that have NO Native American heritage, has an opinion about how offensive names. are. Do you understand just how bad this thread sounds to Native Americans? Show some respect!!!

snoloco

Changing the lift names makes zero sense to me. Nearly all of Belleayre's trail names have Native American origin, and Tomahawk Crossing is the only one that has been changed so far. To my knowledge, none of their trail names are slurs, unlike Squaw Valley. I still refer to Lift 6 as Superchief, and Lift 8 as Tomahawk.

catskills

Indigenous people and where they lived. Enjoy

This year is the 400th Anniversary of the 1621 first Thanksgiving. Pop quiz what Native Americans invited themselves to the first Thanksgiving of 1621?