• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

belleayre vs jiminy

bch224

interested in your views on comparing these two areas for family skiing. we favor the black diamonds and/or bump runs (when we can find them at belleayre) but its been years since I skied Jiminy. Trying to target some other areas (within a couple hours from NYC area) to get out and explore and wondering if you think jiminy should be on our list. thanks

Greg

Staff member
Not a lot of bumps at Jiminy. Not at least the times I've been there.

ta&idaho

Jiminy has a very different vibe from Belleayre, kind of like a miniature verson of Stratton (faux village, connecticut station wagons, six pack lifts, groomer fever). I think it makes a fun occasional alternative to Catskills day trips, especially if you have a hankering for night skiing or carving up some fast groomers, but the terrain tends to be a little one-dimensional.

skidbump

Mid week on a nice sunny day with good snow jiminy is fine.
Same goes for belleayre.But on a weekend i think jiminy is way to crowded to enjoy while belleayre seems to handel the crowds or lack of crowds.
Never seen any bumps at jiminy while belleayre has 4 blacks off top and 2 or 3 blues at mid that usually stay bumped thru april

bch224

Great replies, thank you very much. Sounds like jiminy has great infrastructure and decent terrain, but maybe a bit too groomed. Any other input much appreciated.

bch224

Yes - MLK and loved it. Fourth season at belleayre with a day or two at plattekill mixed in. Just trying to give the other areas a look, but don't think we are up for the haul to VT every weekend. I guess when conditions are prime, belleayre and plattekill have enough to offer. Just wondering if there's an area (non vt) with better expert terrain, maybe more consistently.

bch224

I guess that could be the answer, but I have heard plenty about crowds and a less than family friendly environment, it didn't seem too inviting but I guess I need to go find out for myself.

dmc

I guess that could be the answer, but I have heard plenty about crowds and a less than family friendly environment, it didn't seem too inviting but I guess I need to go find out for myself.

It may surprise you... Hunter has made an effort to become a family area.. They put in a world class learning center and have a whole large area devoted to beginners called Hunter One.