• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

best place for night skiing?

thetrailboss

Staff member
If given the opportunity, I'd give Gunstock a try :wink:

It has been on my to-do list for a while.

How far of a drive is it from 93 (or how do you get to it from the south)? Do you drive by the Outlet Shops off of 93 and down towards downtown Laconia?

RISkier

I went to the website as well. I think you're right about no night skiing off the summit quad but there seems to be a fair amount of terrain open at night. As for getting there from the South, there's almost no discernable difference in time for us going to Sunapee, Ragged, or Gunstock coming from South of Providence. Gunstock is somewhat off the beaten path and there's not much right nearby. Here's the directions from the South taken from their website:

From I 93N-Take exit 20 in Tilton, NH. Turn left on Rte. 3N. Travel along Rte. 3N for about 10 minutes. Bear right onto the Laconia By-Pass (just past the Belknap Mall) which connects with Rte.11A in Gilford. Follow brown signs to Gunstock Recreation Area.

Really don't mean to be a Gunstock schill. It's simply that the times we've been we've found it a friendly, laid-back sort of place with a bit of an old-timey feel. Felt like the kind of place at which you could drop off your kids in the morning and not worry about them -- Pat's gives me the same kind of feel. I'd say there is quite a bit of terrain suitable for beginners through upper intermediates. Not a lot to excite advanced skiers.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Oh no, no worries. I find your input very interesting :wink:

It is great to hear of your experiences at different places. We did consider Gunstock, but from our home in the "flatlands" it is 75 miles to Pat's, as opposed to about 100 to Gunstock and the Lake's region, so it adds up.

Man, I miss my home in Vermont...Burke was a loooonnnnnggggg 10 miles from my house and the local town hill (literally) the Lyndon Outing Club was a whooping 7 MINUTES door to door.

RISkier--have you been to Burke? I think you would like it.

RISkier

Haven't been to Burke but haven't read a negative comment. From all I've read I think we'd really like Burke but it's definately an overnighter for us. Might try to work something out for a weekend.

T

trailbiscuit

Shawnee Peak is great at night...good variety. If you ever have the chance Mont Saint Anne (Canada) also a great night skiing operation...gondola included.

FWIW, Crotched is open until, I believe, 3 AM for it's night skiing operation. Anyone know if the bar is open, too? YIKES!

thetrailboss

Staff member
RISkier said:
Haven't been to Burke but haven't read a negative comment. From all I've read I think we'd really like Burke but it's definately an overnighter for us. Might try to work something out for a weekend.

RISkier--Feel free to PM me if you would like advice. In the meantime, check out their site, www.skiburke.com :)

Boardguy

My son and I skied Gunstock a few years ago. We got what I think they called the Twilight ticket - good from 1 PM till 10 PM. It was a lot of fun and the best part was they groomed out the night skiing runs around 4 PM so it was pretty buffed when we got over there. I would think its certainly worth a try.

skijay

If you are ever vacationing in the Eastern Townships (Orford, Bromont, Owl's Head, etc), Montjoye in Lennoxville is small ski area that offers night skiing. It is well illuminated! Nighttime looks like daytime. They operate their quad to the summit (600') , it is not very crowded and is about 25 -30 minutes from Mont Orford & Sherbrooke and about $15 CDN.

edit: Eastern Townships, PQ (Province of Quebec), Canada

Terry

Night skiing

Shawnee Peak in Me is the place to go. They have Monday night madness with 10 dollar tickets from 4-9 pm. It gets pretty crazy, but is interesting.
I am usually there at least 4 nights a week all season because I work just 15 mins from the slopes. Can't beat it! Tuesday nights I usually have the slopes almost to myself. Can ski flat out without having to worry about crowds. It is awesome. Come try it- it is fun!!! :beer: