• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

best place for night skiing?

MrMagic

after reading that c-more was going to re install their night skiing it made me wounder what areas have the best night skiing?
in my opp.
Nh- crotchet
Ma-?
Ct- ski sundown
Ri- i guess yagoo
Vt-?
what are your fav's?

bvibert

Staff member
I've never night skiied anywhere but Sundown and Mohawk. Both are fun trips after a hard days work (both about 20 mins from my house). Between those two I'd have to choose Mohawk for night skiing only because everytime I've been to Mohawk at night it wasn't busy at all :) Catamount in MA/NY has night skiing too. I wouldn't mind trying to get over there to try it out at night, but its a bit farther away...

ChileMass

In Mass, the big night skiing draw is Wachusett in Princeton, and it's a great place to get some turns in after work as long as you start after 6PM so the school lessons/teams have cleared out. So have a beer or 2 at the lodge and then go get a few runs in.

Also in Mass are Blue Hills (Milton), Nashoba Valley (Westford) and Ski Ward (Shrewsbury), but they are all very small. Nashoba has a nice lodge and restaurant, though......

thetrailboss

Staff member
As for VT, only Stowe and Bolton Valley have substantial night skiing operations. My home town's ski hill, the Lyndon Outing Club, also has it. Nothing like skiing on Friday nights at the old LOC 8) .

Bolton Valley's night skiing is nice, but there are only two routes off of the summit. :-?

As for NH, I've been to Bretton Woods, Cranmore, and Pat's for night skiing. Cranmore and Pat's are great for nights. Pat's is only $23 for Saturday night and that includes ticket and rental! Bretton Woods only has one route off the top, so nothing to write home about.

MA: Been night skiing at Blue Hills, nothing too exciting either.

M

medmarkco

Mt. Abram (Greenwood, ME) used to have night skiing on Friday and Saturday nights . Don't recall runs being lit every weekend last year, but I could be wrong. Might have been due to low temps, because it was plenty cold during the day. Skied a number of well below zero days- Brrrr! Sounds pretty good right now, huh? :D

M

medmarkco

I used to teach 2 nights a week and weekends at Wachusett. ChileMass is right- it's a zoo before 6pm on week nights. I especially like working with kids, but trying to get a school group of 15 kids safely down the mountain by yourself will wear ya out!!
:beer:

nekgirl

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Shawnee Peak has good night skiing, from far away when it is all lit up, it looks like it spells LOVE, anyone else notice that?

Greg

Staff member
I've been night-skiing at Powder Ridge, Southington, and Sundown in CT. I haven't night-skied in a number of years, but I plan to hit Sundown on weeknights this season.

hammer

thetrailboss said:
Pat's is only $23 for Saturday night and that includes ticket and rental!

This sounds really good, but how are the crowds? I like going to Pats Peak, but not if it's a zoo.

Did anyone make it to Crotched last year for night skiing? I'd also like to know how it is there.

Charlie Schuessler

In Central NH Pats Peak in Henniker and Crotched Mountain in Bennington are close enough to Rindge to make it turns in cold, dark and sometimes icy condidtions worth your while (however it is fun).

There are a few other places in the state, but the drive would be too far.

bvibert

Staff member
Greg said:
I've been night-skiing at Powder Ridge, Southington, and Sundown in CT. I haven't night-skied in a number of years, but I plan to hit Sundown on weeknights this season.

You should give Mohawk a shot sometime on a weeknight. Its not as big of a hill as Sundown :-? but there are still some fun trails and I've found the crowds to be much smaller at night. Its probably about the same distance from Watertown as Sundown. When the guys from work here in Watertown want to ski after work they go to Mohawk. Not that I have anytihng against Sundown, its just ussually crowded with a bunch of school kids at night... :)

thetrailboss

Staff member
hammer said:
thetrailboss said:
Pat's is only $23 for Saturday night and that includes ticket and rental!

This sounds really good, but how are the crowds? I like going to Pats Peak, but not if it's a zoo.

Did anyone make it to Crotched last year for night skiing? I'd also like to know how it is there.

As I've said before, the majority of Pat's clientele are beginners and low intermediates that cling to the lower mountain lifts and the greens. Besides this the terrain park will be mobbed, but elsewhere it is usually empty.

If you do go to POP (this program), be sure to get there at about 2:00pm or so to beat the crowd since they have rented out all of their gear before on these nights. :wink: POP tix go on sale a little before 3pm.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Don't forget about Bousquet in Pittsfield, MA. That's a great place to ski at night.

I have to disagree about WAWA until about 7:30-8:00 pm. That is REALLY when the school groups move out. Before that it is a total zoo and you can't even get near places in the lodge.

M

medmarkco

teachski said:
... Before that it is a total zoo and you can't even get near places in the lodge.

It's been at least 4 years since I coached at WaWa, but usually the slopes were "skiable" after the first 1.5 hour school session, which I think started around 3:30 or 4:00. The second group session was usually about half the size of the earlier session. Could be different now. Teachski is right- the lodge is almost always like being inside a pinball machine. :lol:

jimme

In Western Mass- Jiminy Peak (Where I do about 10+ nights per season)
NY- West Mountain (Haven't skied there since about '78 so it may be different now.)

Jimme :)

RISkier

Haven't skied there at night but Gunstock has night skiing and I think they have quite a bit of terrain lighted. Always surprised that almost nobody ever evens mentions Gunstock in any context.

thetrailboss

Staff member
RISkier said:
Haven't skied there at night but Gunstock has night skiing and I think they have quite a bit of terrain lighted. Always surprised that almost nobody ever evens mentions Gunstock in any context.

Excellent point, RISkier. I agree. I saw them at the Boston Ski show last year and they had stickers that proclaimed, "NH's Must Ski Mountain," and I asked why. "We've got a great mountain," was the reply :-? .

They've done a lot of work there in the last year--new express quad. I don't hear much about them though. They are in a good area with the Lakes Region and all, but they are a bit off of the beaten path if I recall.

I don't know why they continuously are under the radar screen either.

RISkier

thetrailboss said:
RISkier said:

Excellent point, RISkier. I agree. I saw them at the Boston Ski show last year and they had stickers that proclaimed, "NH's Must Ski Mountain," and I asked why. "We've got a great mountain," was the reply :-? .

They've done a lot of work there in the last year--new express quad. I don't hear much about them though. They are in a good area with the Lakes Region and all, but they are a bit off of the beaten path if I recall.

I don't know why they continuously are under the radar screen either.

We started skiing at Gunstock 2 years ago and thought they had an excellent beginners package and program ($109 for 3-days of lessons, rentals, and lift tickets). Got us hooked on skiing. There were issues: The summit triple was painfully slow -- it's now been replaced with the high speed quad. The double on the pistol pod was a tough lift for newbies, yet it served terrain that was just right for us at the time. They needed more snowmaking on the pistol area -- they've done that. Certainly won't compete with Cannon for challenge, and it doesn't have the glitz of many relatively nearby areas, but we''ve really enjoyed it. Lodge is old timey but comfortable with a terrific fireplace. Has that friendly feel like Pat's only there's a good bit more mountain. I'm not surprised lots of folks drive by to go to WV or Loon or Sunapee. But I'm a bit surprised that many of the folks who participate on this board hardly give it a mention.

hammer

RISkier said:

You piqued my interest, so I just had a look at their website. The night lift ticket rates look good, but based on the trail map it didn't look like the high speed quad to the summit was open at night.

That may still be OK, but it definitely cuts down on how much terrain is accessible at night...