• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best places in the East to ski on the busiest weekends and holidays to avoid crowds

deadheadskier

Staff member
Consider yourself lucky. MRG and Smuggs are probably number 1&2 on my list of places I won't ski on midwinter Saturdays. I also consider both to be in the top 5 in the East for terrain I enjoy the most.

Sent from my motorola one action using AlpineZone mobile app

Tonyr

Good to know, I was going to ski Smuggs for the 1st time this year. I'll make sure to avoid the weekends.

cdskier

I don't know what it was but I was very surprised with the short lines for that weekend. When I got there I was thinking that maybe people are normally so deterred by the long waits why even think about going MLK weekend. It rained really hard during the week so much so that we thought we'd have to cancel but then two days before we arrived MRG got around 18 inches of snow which opened the whole mountain. The snow was good on top but underneath it was very icy, maybe that scared people off or maybe it was MLK weekend itself.

Are you talking about MLK 2020 this past winter? What days did you ski? I was at Sugarbush and Sunday was insanely crowded even at typically empty Mt Ellen (they set a record if I recall correctly). Saturday was like a typical weekend day though and not bad at all and Monday was downright empty. I'd be very surprised if MRG had no crowds on that Sunday at least.

Tonyr

Are you talking about MLK 2020 this past winter? What days did you ski? I was at Sugarbush and Sunday was insanely crowded even at typically empty Mt Ellen (they set a record if I recall correctly). Saturday was like a typical weekend day though and not bad at all and Monday was downright empty. I'd be very surprised if MRG had no crowds on that Sunday at least.

Yes, we skied MRG that Saturday then Stowe on Sunday/Monday. Stowe was crowded on Sunday it was empty on Monday.

BenedictGomez

Good to know, I was going to ski Smuggs for the 1st time this year. I'll make sure to avoid the weekends.

Holiday weekends & Canuck school vacation book-ended weekends are to be avoided. A random Saturday probably wont be that bad, Sundays are better.

dblskifanatic

Jay Peak, Burke withe the borders closed. Bolton Valley often forgotten as well as Ragged, Cannon is hit or miss - used to have season pass there and there were many weekends where we had ski on ski off at Zoomer chair and Peabody and a little line at Cannonball.

Saddleback will be interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Edd

Jay Peak, Burke withe the borders closed.

Saddleback will be interesting!

I bought two passes this year so I’ll be extremely resistant to buying lift tix. But Jay Peak will be more tempting than usual with lower crowds.

Saddleback is a must hit this year. It’s every skier’s duty.

BenedictGomez

Jay Peak will be more tempting than usual with lower crowds.

I wasn't kidding with my prior post.

Jay Peak + SARS-CoV-2 = HEAVEN. I dont even care, @ me all you ****** want.

About 20'ish years ago I used to ski there in a paradise that I ignorantly had no appreciation for, but come 2021 I will savor the lack of the hoards of neverending Quebecois.

mister moose

Jay Peak + SARS-CoV-2 = HEAVEN... About 20'ish years ago I used to ski there in a paradise that I ignorantly had no appreciation for, but come 2021 I will savor the lack of the hoards of neverending Quebecois.
Just curious, how long is the drive from Jersey hill country to Jay?