• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Then there is the Mont St Sauveur region that has a group of 4 or 5 ski areas offering night skiing.

st-sauveur_night.jpg

ironhippy

The week I spent in the Eastern Townships (midweek) they were lit up every night. I could see the lights from my hotel room at Sutton. This wasn't a holiday week either.

Mont Saint Anne was also open every night when I was there a non holiday week.

Mount Saint Anne is open Wed - Saturday night on non holiday weekends. They sell night only season passes and are rather busy most nights with Quebec City only being a half hour away.

xwhaler

Speaking of Night skiing I noticed that Gunstock is starting night skiing at 3 this season which gives you the ability to lap the HSQ off the top for an hour.
This is a nice feature as Tiger chair is very slow and Pistol terrain not compelling enough to lap all night.
May get me up there some afternoon/evening this season.

steamboat1

Mount Saint Anne is open Wed - Saturday night on non holiday weekends. They sell night only season passes and are rather busy most nights with Quebec City only being a half hour away.

They also sell day tickets that are good from 12pm -9pm. I liked these because you could sleep late then ski all afternoon & when the light got flat I'd stop for dinner. When the night lighting took over I'd then go out & ski a few more hours.

edit: I also found the mountain emptied out after 4pm. They also regroomed the mountain after 4pm.

Last edited:

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Any news of how the Town Meeting went?
I didn't go to the town meeting but I was able to see that they had floodlights on at the top terminal of the Sherburne Express (as viewed from Sutton at 5:15). I don't think they had all of the lights on yet (the site visit didn't officially start until 6:00) but I had to get the kids home for supper.
The mass of lights on the left side is the new hotel. The bright area highest/right side is the lights near the lift:

Lighting%20test_zpsz0ykufoj.jpg

A pretty far cry from the massive night skiing ops shown in posts above.

Doing this test without snow on the ground would definitely make a difference in how much light is reflected upward.

VTKilarney

I'm surprised that there was nothing in the newspaper today, but maybe the story missed the deadline.

I expect there to be some opposition. This is the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, after all.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I'm surprised that there was nothing in the newspaper today, but maybe the story missed the deadline.

I expect there to be some opposition. This is the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, after all.

I'm sure there are going to be some people (loudly) up in arms about it. IMHO, the hotel is going to be a much larger source of light pollution since it sits out on the middle of an open area and its lights will be on all night/every night.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I didn't go to the town meeting but I was able to see that they had floodlights on at the top terminal of the Sherburne Express (as viewed from Sutton at 5:15). I don't think they had all of the lights on yet (the site visit didn't officially start until 6:00) but I had to get the kids home for supper.
The mass of lights on the left side is the new hotel. The bright area highest/right side is the lights near the lift:

Doing this test without snow on the ground would definitely make a difference in how much light is reflected upward.

Interesting.

wtcobb

I skied Gunstock's New Year's celebration several years ago - fairly good time. They do a great job with the night skiing, but the pub closed at 11!!

SIKSKIER

Were those lights at the top of the Sherburne lift cuz they appear above the hotel at mid Burke?

VTKilarney

Burke's Facebook page shows a single fan gun blowing snow. It looks more like a test than anything else, but it's a start.

mbedle

It was a test - the post below it was "testing, testing 123...). Still nice to see the new guns up a running. Think positive people!

oldtimer

YES- the glow you see on the right is at the top of the Sherburne. The hotel is tot he left and you can make out the individual windows etc.