• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

Smellytele

That facebook post has confirmed for me that I will never ever stay at the QBurke hotel. I am skiing there in 2 weeks but only for one day and with free tix from the WM movie. I will spend no money there at all. I will bring my own food and beverages and eat in the basement where they stick brown baggers like me and my family.

River19

Another happy Q Burke customer posted on Facebook that Q Burke shouldn't take reservations for the hotel when they can't actually open. The customer posted this after Q Burke responded:

No, I don't understand. Because you weren't truthful with us until 2 days ago, there are no ski resorts available for a family of 5 within 3 hours of my location that isn't 2x the cost of yours. I am not interested in paying $4000 at Smugglers Notch. It is very difficult to plan a vacation at any resort for 2 adults and 3 teenage children. We are required to stay in 2 rooms or a 2/3 bedroom suite which increases the cost of our trips. Your hotel was a perfect fit for all our needs. We are traveling 3+ hours away and I explained in DECEMBER when you cancelled our Christmas vacation trip that Jay was too far and a hotel would not work for us because one family member does not ski due to a long term injury. I was assured by your staff that your hotel would be ready by February vacation. I was agreeable to having our reservation moved. You kept my $1000 deposit and I did not book at another resort nor did I cancel within the last month because of your harsh cancellation policy. You have no right to do this to people who work hard for their money and plan well in advance. Something is very very wrong with how this hotel is being managed.

that is one of the biggest shit sandwiches I have heard someone being served......what a huge buzzkill and a huge pile of crap for a ruined family vacation.

Good job Ary, go kick their dog while you are at it you clueless insensitive prick.

oldtimer

they certainly wasted no time getting this off the facebook page. I feel for this family, but let us not forget that there are employees who have been on standby since December. I know people who were asked to change jobs from the mtn company to the hotel who have been without work for many weeks. This is not simply f'ing with some peoples' vacations, this is seriously messing up peoples lives in an area that is economically very depressed. The way the Q family is handling this is unconscionable and dumb. And the silence? arrogance and stupidity. There is something going on that they could share with the community so as to help folks plan. The statement reads something like "we are being help up by XYZ. This is taking us a while to work out and we feel badly that it has displaced our guests and our employees. Are are doing zzz to try and cure the problem and will keep you posted. In the meantime we have all of the hotel staff in training and helping out in order to honor our commitment to them and in order to be ready the minute we sort out this administrative issue."

Do not hold your breath for that statement.

Another happy Q Burke customer posted on Facebook that Q Burke shouldn't take reservations for the hotel when they can't actually open. The customer posted this after Q Burke responded:

No, I don't understand. Because you weren't truthful with us until 2 days ago, there are no ski resorts available for a family of 5 within 3 hours of my location that isn't 2x the cost of yours. I am not interested in paying $4000 at Smugglers Notch. It is very difficult to plan a vacation at any resort for 2 adults and 3 teenage children. We are required to stay in 2 rooms or a 2/3 bedroom suite which increases the cost of our trips. Your hotel was a perfect fit for all our needs. We are traveling 3+ hours away and I explained in DECEMBER when you cancelled our Christmas vacation trip that Jay was too far and a hotel would not work for us because one family member does not ski due to a long term injury. I was assured by your staff that your hotel would be ready by February vacation. I was agreeable to having our reservation moved. You kept my $1000 deposit and I did not book at another resort nor did I cancel within the last month because of your harsh cancellation policy. You have no right to do this to people who work hard for their money and plan well in advance. Something is very very wrong with how this hotel is being managed.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So after 632 pages we finally get to the real "big Burke announcement" - You are going to grace the NEK with a visit. The excitement up there must be palpable. I hope I am in town so I don't miss the parade.

Hate to destroy your punchline, but I am not the one who started this thread. That was the original trailboss.

As to the other point, you're right. As a native of the NEK I have a lot of family and friends there and I am looking forward to seeing them. We have a good time despite Q and his stupidity.

Context is context you said nobody will work for Q but as BWD noted people indeed do at the other mountain departments. So you are saying no one will ever work for Q at the hotel? Huh have to stay tuned for that outcome. I'm thinking that eventually the hotel will open and people will be working there. Hopefully sooner than later.

The larger point is that locals will not work for him. Yes, some do, but the folks who were the best employees and made Burke special have left or were fired. From what I have seen firsthand and what others have described is a steady stream of folks coming and going at all levels. That is not sustainable.

As to the Hotel specifically, oldtimer said he knows some folks who are on standby to work there. I would imagine that what will eventually happen is that they will import foreign workers on work visas to fill the gaps. That idea was mentioned several hundred posts back.

thetrailboss

Staff member
that is one of the biggest shit sandwiches I have heard someone being served......what a huge buzzkill and a huge pile of crap for a ruined family vacation.

Good job Ary, go kick their dog while you are at it you clueless insensitive prick.

This is quite disturbing.

jimmywilson69

there are no more than 12 people in that video. 3 of which appear to be employees (assuming there is a single person running the lift).

VTKilarney

Ary likely deleted it

Odd. I'm still seeing it. It's in the Visitor Posts section. It is the post that was started by Rosemary Gracia. You need to click on Burke's reply and then click once more to see her response.

It doesn't show up in the mobile app, I think.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Odd. I'm still seeing it. It's in the Visitor Posts section. It is the post that was started by Rosemary Gracia. You need to click on Burke's reply and then click once more to see her response.

It doesn't show up in the mobile app, I think.

Ah, OK. I see it now.

VTKilarney

The Caledonian Record has an article in today's paper about the hotel. The opening has been delayed because the contractor won't release the certificates of occupancy until he gets paid. He says that he is owed "millions."

It looks Iike EB-5 fundraising is not as easy as it used to be. The Commissioner of Vermont's Department of Finance, who is holding the EB-5 money in escrow, wrote to Stenger, “...the escrow account does not have nearly enough money to even cover the amounts we did authorize, much less the [redacted] you are claiming in your letter. Any delays in opening are attributable to your lack of capital, not the escrow authorization process.”

Last edited:

mbedle

This was online - It was the first article under "News" title was Orleans Criminal Court 2nd Jay Peak Employee Charged with Embezzlement.

River19

Holy shit....sounds like that contractor may own a hotel soon....lol

Wow is that embarrassing as heck for Q and Stenger. So all of our speculation on the $ situation is finally coming out a bit.......

I'm popping popcorn for this one........