• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

VTKilarney

Holy shit....sounds like that contractor may own a hotel soon....lol

Wow is that embarrassing as heck for Q and Stenger. So all of our speculation on the $ situation is finally coming out a bit.......

I'm popping popcorn for this one........

Well, we've been surmising that EB-5 fundraising has been very difficult. This article backs that up unless the project went over budget. But, IMHO, the budget was inflated to begin with.

VTKilarney

Yow have to love today's snow report.

Trails open: 18 of 50
Groomed trails:18 of 36

No snowmaking in the past 24 hours. I wonder if they are done.

River19

Well, we've been surmising that EB-5 fundraising has been very difficult. This article backs that up unless the project went over budget. But, IMHO, the budget was inflated to begin with.

Well something isn't adding up, a supposed $55M hotel, that was fully funded and we believe the $55M was inflated by all accounts, suddenly they don't have near enough to pay off the contractor for the hotel? That thing couldn't possibly have gone over $55M without something fishy happening......like over paying for land already owned by Q etc. We all know the State account couldn't have been drained by mountain ops and snow making equipment as they clearly said there was separation of church and state on that.

So how could they have gone from fully funded to bust?

River19

Why are you assuming that they were fully funded? When they broke ground they were far from fully funded.

I recall Stenger et al saying the hotel was fully funded and they were raising funds for all the other shit like the tennis center etc

Maybe I misremember their bullshit as there has been so much

BenedictGomez

EB-5 is a wonderful program that is funded by foreigners, not American citizens. It's free money, how could anything go wrong?

[/summation of 99% of people's opinion when I joined this board 5 years ago]

thetrailboss

Staff member
I recall Stenger et al saying the hotel was fully funded and they were raising funds for all the other shit like the tennis center etc

Maybe I misremember their bullshit as there has been so much

Right. It's called they needed more money. Just say it's for Phase II when it's really for Phase I.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

MEtoVTSkier

"the escrow account does not have nearly enough money to even cover the amounts we did authorize, much less the [redacted] you are claiming in your letter. Any delays in opening are attributable to your lack of capital, not the escrow authorization process."

Well there... there is the answer to what the hold up is to the opening. Pay the contractor, and you get to open... seems pretty cut and dried.

BenedictGomez

Who else thinks that this will be the next expose piece on VTDigger?

As the sole member of AZ that has been most correct regarding these issues en toto, I stand behind my long-ago and (extremely) bold prediction that this will end with FEDERAL indictments.

Might take several more years, but I'm not jumping ship on that prediction yet.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wildcat has upper mountain lifts delayed today because of the cold weather. So, that might be the reason.