• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

Smellytele

Nice article about Vermont ski areas (http://www.vermontbiz.com/news/sept...oard-resort-capital-improvement-plans-2014-15) it appears every resort is doing something this off season except one.... This is just a small sign of the lack of attention to detail (and lack of competent staff) that the Q fiefdom continues to display...:dontknow:

If you actually read the article some of the ones listed haven't done anything it is just an add for them. Last time I checked Burke was building a hotel.

VTKilarney

If you actually read the article some of the ones listed haven't done anything it is just an add for them. Last time I checked Burke was building a hotel.
I think the OP's point was that Q-Burke could not be Q-bothered to submit anything for the article.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think the OP's point was that Q-Burke could not be Q-bothered to submit anything for the article.

Exactly. You'd think that Burke would be shouting about the new hotel--especially when there's been a lot of bad PR lately with the other projects that Stenger/Q have been doing. Hell, the frickin Hermitage Club submitted a segment!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Big Wave Dave

50 new snow guns is something.

Jay, QBurke Swap Out Old Snow Guns

+ click to enlarge

COURTESY PIC

Snow guns blast in early January at Jay Peak Resort.

Robin Smith
Staff Writer

MONTPELIER -- Vermont ski resorts, including those in the Northeast Kingdom, are expanding the efficiency, quality and coverage of their snowmaking systems.

The Great Snow Gun Roundup, a program between the ski resorts and Efficiency Vermont, will add more than 100 new guns at Jay Peak Resort and about 50 at Q Burke Mountain, said Bill Stenger, CEO of Jay Peak Resort and a partner in QBurke.

burski

Of course 50 new snowguns is something so isn't a hotel - its after labor day - if Burke had a marketing department and a marketing budget this information would be getting out to the public - not just to the few dozen diehards who read this board during the summer....

+ click to enlarge

COURTESY PIC

Robin Smith
Staff Writer

MONTPELIER -- Vermont ski resorts, including those in the Northeast Kingdom, are expanding the efficiency, quality and coverage of their snowmaking systems.

The Great Snow Gun Roundup, a program between the ski resorts and Efficiency Vermont, will add more than 100 new guns at Jay Peak Resort and about 50 at Q Burke Mountain, said Bill Stenger, CEO of Jay Peak Resort and a partner in QBurke.

zeke

- if Burke had a marketing department and a marketing budget this information would be getting out to the public -

they don't check the first job opening http://skiburke.com/jobs/

looks like the new guy left as well–looks like the Q is starting to mean quit when it comes to people at the mountain. with all the bad pr and mismanagement i wonder if skiers will be the next to quit?

on the upside, Ary is getting new business cards
Ary Quiros
President/CEO/General Manager/Head of Food and Beverage/Interim Director of Sales and Marketing/Owner's kid

Last edited:

mbedle

Exactly. You'd think that Burke would be shouting about the new hotel--especially when there's been a lot of bad PR lately with the other projects that Stenger/Q have been doing. Hell, the frickin Hermitage Club submitted a segment!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Is it possible that the writer of the article didn't reach out to Burke/Jay for a summary of what they are upgrading? It is odd how the Jay piece is written and not mentioning any of the snow gun upgrades.

thetrailboss

Staff member
they don't check the first job opening http://skiburke.com/jobs/

looks like the new guy left as well–looks like the Q is starting to mean quit when it comes to people at the mountain. with all the bad pr and mismanagement if skiers will be the next to quit?

on the upside, Ary is getting new business cards
Ary Quiros
President/CEO/General Manager/Head of Food and Beverage/Interim Director of Sales Lift Attendant and Marketing/Owner's kid

I added one there because I know of at least one person who has decided not to work there this year because of Q. And this person was a Burke loyalist.

VTKilarney

Is it possible that the writer of the article didn't reach out to Burke/Jay for a summary of what they are upgrading? It is odd how the Jay piece is written and not mentioning any of the snow gun upgrades.
This is a press release from the Ski Areas Association. The standard procedure for this type of press release is to put out a call to member ski areas for submissions. Whatever procedure was followed, my guess is that if Haystack was notified, Burke was notified as well.

thetrailboss

Staff member

+ click to enlarge

COURTESY PIC

Robin Smith
Staff Writer

OK.....but getting back to the OP. Why no word about the Hotel? They should be shouting from the rafters!

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
OK.....but getting back to the OP. Why no word about the Hotel? They should be shouting from the rafters!
Maybe since it is going to be more of a hindrance than an asset during the construction phase this winter? Instead of a nice white field below the lift this winter there is going to be a half naked metal sculpture surrounded by mud.

dlague

I think the whole Jay Peak statement was designed to be limited - maybe as to not to draw too much attention to the lack of EB-5 funding? Just speculating.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

VTKilarney

I think the whole Jay Peak statement was designed to be limited - maybe as to not to draw too much attention to the lack of EB-5 funding? Just speculating.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone
Are you talking about the Jay Peak statement as if Burke was intended to be a part of it? I'm not so sure that was their intent.
The reality is that, other than installing snow guns that won't improve the consumer's experience, not much has gone on at Jay this summer. The outdoor theater is about it. I'm not faulting them for that. They've done a TON of work during the past few years and, while the work has been nearly exclusively non-ski infrastructure work, it's understandable that there would be a break in the action. (Sarcam alert: Stenger's marketing department needed a break after all. :-o )

It is odd, however, that Burke did not mention the hotel. Stenger is VERY motivated to act as if the EB-5 world is just fine. He has been quick to point out successes in response to concerns. So this is definitely something new. It wouldn't surprise me if it just fell through the cracks.

MEtoVTSkier

According to the webcam, lots of dirt has been moved around at Mid-Burke in the last couple days.

Couple excavators & an off-road dump going right at it, right now. When you going up for a photo shoot?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Burke 9.12.14.jpg
    Burke 9.12.14.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 117

Big Wave Dave

big news today on the newport airport runway. I feel like this element of the Q world has really gone under the radar. If this plane manufacturer delivers as advertized, Mr. Quiros has done the NEK a great service in regards to good paying skilled mechanical work.

I will await developments as my trust factor is low, but its nice to see news like this in light of all the last years turmoil at Burke and Jay.

BTW, about time they stopped building at Jay! I was just up there the other day after having watched this develop over the years I still cant believe what they have done. I remember when Jay had tree's all the way to the summit :)! my how that place has changed. As long as mid-week stays quiet i wont b*tch.

thetrailboss

Staff member
big news today on the newport airport runway. I feel like this element of the Q world has really gone under the radar. If this plane manufacturer delivers as advertized, Mr. Quiros has done the NEK a great service in regards to good paying skilled mechanical work.

I will await developments as my trust factor is low, but its nice to see news like this in light of all the last years turmoil at Burke and Jay.

BTW, about time they stopped building at Jay! I was just up there the other day after having watched this develop over the years I still cant believe what they have done. I remember when Jay had tree's all the way to the summit :)! my how that place has changed. As long as mid-week stays quiet i wont b*tch.

The money for the runway is good. It's too bad that the plans to expand/improve the Lyndon Airport never happened....though some may disagree.

Masskier

No question, The airport is a critical piece of the whole NEK economical development plan. Here are some comments from the Cal Record article.

[FONT=Verdana, Times New Roman, Times, Serif]"This is a vital piece to our economic development of not only Newport but the surrounding area," Monette said.

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Times New Roman, Times, Serif]The foreign trade zone designation also really helped, Marcotte said.

"I look forward to seeing some good jobs come into Coventry," he added.

"This is indeed good news, said David Snedeker, executive director of Northeastern Vermont Development Association.
"The runway extension and improvements at the Newport State Airport will greatly enhance current and future developments in the NEK region. We are pleased that the FAA recognized this and thank everyone at the federal, state, and local levels who helped to make this possible."
[/FONT]