• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

Masskier

Just saw some pics from Burke. This one struck me as odd because the Hotel seems to be largely in the same state as it was three weeks ago:

10339782_10152909747233023_73505011197062678_n.jpg

Granted we know that they are doing a lot of work in the basement (that you can't see). Are they planning on doing anything more this winter on the upper levels or are they hanging it up for now?

they are busy with installing the wood framing on the other half. All of the avantec that you saw in the drone video is up.

burski

Local rumors are that Q Jr has tapped one of his military "buddies" (with no apparent ski resort background) to be the new GM, apparently this guy is going around the resort shadowing different departments at Q's direction but has no title... Q has had other military "buddies" that he tried to bring on in different departments that have not lasted - they couldn't deal with him. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.. stay tuned for an announcement in a couple of months:idea:

VTKilarney

Local rumors are that Q Jr has tapped one of his military "buddies" (with no apparent ski resort background) to be the new GM,
So are they going to close the lifts at 16:00?

Sarcasm aside, I have a LOT of respect for our military leaders. They do a DAMN fine job. They do this because they have honed their style of leadership to carry out their mission. Protocol and chain of command are tremendously important in the military, and this is drilled into its leaders.

The question that remains to be answered is whether or not military based leadership skills are best suited for the management of a recreational facility. I don't claim to know enough about the ski industry to be able to answer that question.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Local rumors are that Q Jr has tapped one of his military "buddies" (with no apparent ski resort background) to be the new GM, apparently this guy is going around the resort shadowing different departments at Q's direction but has no title... Q has had other military "buddies" that he tried to bring on in different departments that have not lasted - they couldn't deal with him. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.. stay tuned for an announcement in a couple of months:idea:

It's like we're seeing the same bad movie over and over again.

VTKilarney

Q Burke just posted some photos of today's snow on their Facebook page.

Someone posted this comment:
great stuff. How much snow will it take to cover up the Q?

You would think that a marketing director would either ignore the comment or say something to the effect of: "We are sorry that you don't approve of our name change, but whatever we are called, we are committed to providing the best possible skiing experience for our valued customers. We hope that you will visit us and see just how committed we are."

Q-Burke didn't go that route. Here is their response:
Thanks for the comment Dennis! We don't think it will take much to cover up the Q, however, next time your down here, it would be our pleasure to give you a shovel so that you can try your best to cover it up! Good Luck...

fbrissette

Q Burke just posted some photos of today's snow on their Facebook page.

Someone posted this comment:
great stuff. How much snow will it take to cover up the Q?

You would think that a marketing director would either ignore the comment or say something to the effect of: "We are sorry that you don't approve of our name change, but whatever we are called, we are committed to providing the best possible skiing experience for our valued customers. We hope that you will visit us and see just how committed we are."

Q-Burke didn't go that route. Here is their response:
Thanks for the comment Dennis! We don't think it will take much to cover up the Q, however, next time your down here, it would be our pleasure to give you a shovel so that you can try your best to cover it up! Good Luck...
I think it's actually pretty funny!

Sorry, I've never been to Burke before and I don't know much about it, but why is the "Q" there in the first place?

VTKilarney

They still have nothing posted under the "Specials and Deals" section of their website. When do they normally post those? I'm anxious to see if they continue the Sunday afternoon lift ticket promotion.

burski

The new Website should be out in the next couple of weeks

Are you telling me that a ski area going into a ski season with a ton of stuff going on will not have their website done until December for the ski season????? They will have their summer site up until that time (its actually not even the summer site as there are still references to the hotel project starting in June on it...) - this is great marketing, I am sure they are saving a ton of money, and think of how well this will work for (early) no not early, becuase that is done - at this point how about regular season booking... well done Q.:beer:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Are you telling me that a ski area going into a ski season with a ton of stuff going on will not have their website done until December for the ski season????? They will have their summer site up until that time (its actually not even the summer site as there are still references to the hotel project starting in June on it...) - this is great marketing, I am sure they are saving a ton of money, and think of how well this will work for (early) no not early, becuase that is done - at this point how about regular season booking... well done Q.:beer:

Not surprising considering that he has fired almost the entire staff (management at least) and can't find replacements for them.

BenedictGomez

Are you telling me that a ski area going into a ski season with a ton of stuff going on will not have their website done until December for the ski season????? They will have their summer site up until that time (its actually not even the summer site as there are still references to the hotel project starting in June on it...) - this is great marketing, I am sure they are saving a ton of money, and think of how well this will work for (early) no not early, becuase that is done - at this point how about regular season booking... well done Q.

It's complete incompetence from a business perspective. Frankly, they shouldn't even be doing this work internally. It should be outsourced to a small web marketing company that does this sort of thing fairly cheaply. Or maybe it already is and they need to fire them? Either way, yeah, you're right, for November 18th that's pretty bad.