• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

BenedictGomez

Shit 100 a head in jersey will get you a barn with horses as bartenders and sheep as waiters

I think the sum of money many (most?) couples spend on weddings in 2016 is completely insane.

It's become commonplace for young, poor, couples to spend a sum on money on a one-day event, that would practically cover the down payment on the house that they likely cant afford.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think the sum of money many (most?) couples spend on weddings in 2016 is completely insane.

It's become commonplace for young, poor, couples to spend a sum on money on a one-day event, that would practically cover the down payment on the house that they likely cant afford.

QFT

One of the many lessons I learned in working in the wedding business was that there was no way I was going to get ripped off on my own wedding.

We spent $5k on ours for 50 people, but that included everything; all food, booze, wedding attire and renting a house on Lake Winnipesaukee for 3 nights that slept 14 people. It was basically a long weekend bash for our close friends that stayed in the house, then a waterside ceremony and reception under a tent in the yard for family and other friends that made up the total . I had a lot of connections in the industry that probably saved me $3K.

It certainly wasn't anything like the average $25k+ bills that I used to hand the father of the bride. Heck, one of the places I worked, they've got a photo album from a Million dollar wedding. I wasn't working there at the time thankfully. I can only imagine how demanding the people must have been to be spending that kind of cash.

deadheadskier

Staff member
And then at least half of them end in divorce :(

In the business, young couples (early 20s) were often called "future repeat business." Not that people who get married at an older age don't get divorced, but I'm sure the rates are higher for young people.

I remember one wedding when I was at the Wyndham (now Hilton) on Burlingtons waterfront. New Years Eve. $30K. Groom 20, Bride 19. I had two staff members that the mother of the bride requested not work the function because her daughter didn't like them in High School. :lol: Marriage lasted six months.

SIKSKIER

Having been to 3 weddings at Cannon,all the receptions were at the bottom.The ceremonies were at the top.All 3 were outside but I'm sure the inside could have been used as a backup.As to chairlifts being used in summer by non skiers,Gunstock has a high non skier usage to get to the ziplines.I also attended a 20th wedding reuinion at the top of Gunstock via the chairlift.The couple though came in style though by helicopter!

dlague

In the business, young couples (early 20s) were often called "future repeat business." Not that people who get married at an older age don't get divorced, but I'm sure the rates are higher for young people.

I remember one wedding when I was at the Wyndham (now Hilton) on Burlingtons waterfront. New Years Eve. $30K. Groom 20, Bride 19. I had two staff members that the mother of the bride requested not work the function because her daughter didn't like them in High School. :lol: Marriage lasted six months.

It is in sane to spend that much money! Granted everyone goes into it with long term intentions but heck spend 6K or less and use the rest to get a boat, down payment on a vacation condo, take several nice trips, something but not on a party unless you have it to blow but most do not at that age and generally depend on the parents (who more than likely really do not want to spend that much but will).

raisingarizona

I used to help cater weddings, after a few dozen the whole charade seemed really silly and a complete waste of money. It's kind of narcissistic too, that being said I am sort of of a cynical prick.

JPTracker

Jay has 70 weddings this summer.

Summit ceremony - $1,000
Free backup location - Tramside cafeteria
Wedding Barn as backup - $500

yeggous

Half of marriages ending fun in divorce is a long outdated statistic. Divorce rates today are the lowest they have been in decades, especially for the educated. Newly married couples with college degrees have something like a 10% divorce rate over a decade.

Wedding prices are definitely up vs inflation. Hopefully the decreased frequency of repeat weddings more than compensates for the trend.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

ironhippy

Half of marriages ending fun in divorce is a long outdated statistic. Divorce rates today are the lowest they have been in decades, especially for the educated. Newly married couples with college degrees have something like a 10% divorce rate over a decade.

The other thing that messes up that statistic is 50% of the marriages ending in divorce is different than 50% of the people who get married get divorced.

Larry King has been married 8 times. EIGHT! That means 8 couples have stayed together in order to just make up for Larry King's marriages alone (if we're going by 50%)

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Just when I thought I had seen it all on this thread....we're now talking about marriage and weddings.

cdskier

Only $70k in top-line revenue resulting from summit weddings? That's very non-impressive assuming that's correct.

Well they are taking in money from other parts of the weddings as well and one could argue that without a summit ceremony option some of the 70 weddings wouldn't take place at Jay at all if that option is what attracted people to choose Jay over another venue.

It would be interesting to know how many of the 70 weddings planned though are even using the summit for the ceremony. I'm sure not all are.