• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Black Mountain Maine

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
Has anyone skied this place. I never gave it a second thought but this year according to the website all tickets are $15 this season. What is the terrain like? Are the blacks actually black? For 15 Bucks I may have to try it.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Been meaning to get there for a while now. I think this is the season for sure. I am not expecting much in terms of pitch. I'm targeting this place for February vacation as a cheap and uncrowded alternative.

MEtoVTSkier

Went 1.21.12 on a Saturday morning, on the way to night ski Bretton Woods, and hit Burke on Sunday. Black was really packed as they also run a nordic center there and the place was packed with collegiate races going on. Wasn't any room in the lodge (i.e cubbys) to stow gear or bags, so we left it all in the truck. We only skied a few hours, as less than stellar conditions, and limited open terrain and a need to be at BW before 4pm. Most of the expert trails were closed, but what they had made snow on skied ok. For $15 I'd go again with better conditions (Their season pass is reciprocal with Bigrock and other nordic areas in Maine). I'll be checking their schedule next time though, to make sure there aren't regionals going on, the same day. They supposedly expanded snow-making this year too, and cut new terrain off the Summit. They've got night skiing too.

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
Black, if memory serves me at all, is about half of Shawnee or Abrams, but a little more than Lost valley. I enjoyed skiing there, but I was a beginner way back then and could ski it all.
Don't know when you were there but they are now 1150 vert according to website. That's about the same as Abram isn't it. For the price I guess I'll give it a try but wait til it's 100% open.

cannonist

Don't know when you were there but they are now 1150 vert according to website. That's about the same as Abram isn't it. For the price I guess I'll give it a try but wait til it's 100% open.

The website says the vertical is 1380 ft which would actually make it bigger than abrams 1150 ft.

Skimaine

Black saw substantial improvements in 2003 when they installed a double chair and then in 2005 when they added a summit triple. Those two efforts increased the vertical from 500 ft to the current 1,300.

salsgang

http://maineskifamily.blogspot.com/2011/11/as-we-get-into-ski-season-i-will-be.html

Really nice write-up on Black Mtn of ME! This guy does a nice job with all his mtn reviews---I enjoy reading them.

I was wondering the Black Mountain review was getting a bunch of hits lately. Thanks for the props xwhaler.

Black is a cool place. Great for Advanced Beginners to Intermediates who are ready for a step up. People wanting steeps won't get it but its a very enjoyable day especially when the snow is good.

Here is a link to all my ski mountain reviews in Maine for those that are interested:

http://maineskifamily.blogspot.com/search/label/Ski Mountain Reviews