• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boy Scouts go Skiing....

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Found this article in a church newsletter from the deep south. True Story. Boy Scouts (and experienced leaders) go skiing.

"Troop 17 went on the road again heading to Southern West Virginia for another outdoor adventure. God had much more planned for us…

Some of you may not know some of the ski jargon floating around in this article, so let me explain.
The slope ratings are obviously posted at the top of each ski run for observation by all skiers before attempting to ski the slope. The easiest ski slopes are rated blue squares and the intermediate slopes are posted as green circles. The dreaded black diamond slopes are for expert skiers only. Some ski resorts have double, triple, and even quadruple black diamond slopes. We counseled the boys and men to stay away from the expert, black diamond….

All the men and all the boys, except me, took a lesson…I have lots of experience but I believe in ski lessons because I know from experience…After I explained how to get on and off the lift, we took a ride up the ski lift. At the off ramp, Ryan slipped and tumbled over, knocking me off balance. I fell right on the off ramp, so the lift operator had to stop the lift while Ryan and I untangled ourselves and our skis.

As you well know, there are a number of skiing styles as seen in the Olympics. I have realized some of our boys have invented a new style. I call it fall-line skiing .To do this you have to have a lot of courage and just follow the fall line of the hill. In other words, just go straight down the hill hollering all the way.

At the end of the day, all the boys were exchanging crash stories. The adults
were, too. Steven plowed head first into a group of people trying to help a pretty girl up.

Scout Master: I ’m very proud of all our boys. They satisfied the requirements for Snow Sports Merit Badge, a difficult skill to learn."

Maybe they should stick to possum hunting :grin:

thetrailboss

Staff member
NYDrew said:
Stupid people.

I'm an Eagle Scout. Been involved with Scouting all my life. This article reflects poorly on the Scout program. I am a skiing counselor and got my skiing merit badge. It is a tough badge. Scouting has gotten a bad wrap and led many to give the same knee jerk reaction as the poster before me. One thing is certain--Scouting gave me a lot of opportunities and led me to where I am today.

Just like anything, there are great troops and not-so-great troops. The article above did not reflect well on the organization and what it stands for in my mind.

hammer

My son is in Boy Scouts, and his troop has a ski trip each year where the boys can meet their requirements for the Snow Sports badge.

Out of curiosity, I checked the alpine skiing requirements for the badge and this is what I saw:
  1. Show how to use and maintain your own release bindings and explain the use of two others. Explain the international DIN standard and what it means to skiers.
  2. Explain the American Teaching System and a basic snow-skiing progression.
  3. Explain and discuss the following:
    1. Five types of Alpine skis
    2. Telemark skis
    3. Snowboards
  4. Name the major ski organizations in the United States and explain their functions.
  5. Explain the importance of strength, endurance, and flexibility in downhill skiing. Demonstrate exercises and activities you can do to get fit for skiing.
  6. Do the following:
    1. Present yourself properly clothed and equipped for downhill skiing. Discuss how the clothing you have chosen will keep you warm.
    2. Demonstrate two ways to carry skis and poles safely and easily.
  7. Demonstrate how to ride one kind of lift and explain how to ride two others.
  8. Explain the international trail-marking system.
  9. On a gentle slope, demonstrate some of the beginning maneuvers learned in skiing. Include the straight run, gliding wedge, wedge stop, sidestep, and herringbone maneuvers.
  10. On slightly steeper terrain, show linked wedge turns.
  11. On a moderate slope, demonstrate five to 10 christies.
  12. Make a controlled run down an intermediate slope and demonstrate the following:
    1. Short-, medium-, and long-radius parallel turns
    2. Sideslip and safety (hockey) stop to each side
    3. Traverse across a slope
  13. Demonstrate the ability to ski in varied conditions, including changes in pitch, snow conditions, and moguls. Maintain your balance and ability to turn.
I think my son could meet most of these requirements with a little bit of studying (skiing moguls would be a bit tough), but he's been skiing for a few years and is what I'd consider to be a solid intermediate, so I'm surprised that a bunch of never-ever kids can go out and do all of this...:-?

The one good thing about the badge is that there are also options for Nordic skiers and snowboarders...:smile:

Talisman

There is a 'Boy Scout Weekend' at Bromley every year. I forget when it is held, but the mountain literally crawls with Boy Scouts and despite the enthusiasm there is some really bad skiing. It looks like a fun weekend to be a scout, but it is less fun for others.

I am a former BSA First Class and Patrol Leader, in the era when scouts weren't considered a paramilitary hate group.

cbcbd

billski said:
The easiest ski slopes are rated blue squares and the intermediate slopes are posted as green circles.

I hope some beginner doesn't read this and take it to the mountain thinking blue is easier than green.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Talisman said:
There is a 'Boy Scout Weekend' at Bromley every year. I forget when it is held, but the mountain literally crawls with Boy Scouts and despite the enthusiasm there is some really bad skiing. It looks like a fun weekend to be a scout, but it is less fun for others.

I am a former BSA First Class and Patrol Leader, in the era when scouts weren't considered a paramilitary hate group.

My Scoutmaster encouraged us to be open and respectful of everyone. We had an incredible troop and an incredible experience. Being in Northern Vermont, we had plenty of great outdoor opportunities including skiing.

The Scouting culture varies from region to region. It is unfortunate that the troops up here are taking a beating because of the stereotypes that have been projected thanks to the actions of a few. So is life though....a few bad apples does not render the whole barrel bad.

hammer

I think the Boy Scouts get a bad rap because they are seen as not being entirely PC...for example, one important aspect of being a scout is having religious beliefs (although it is stressed that what God you believe in is not important).

The main concern that I see with the original post is that the Boy Scouts are, for whatever reason, "dumbing down" merit badge requirements...I hope for my son's sake that this is not the case.

skibum1321

Where are these dreaded quadruple black diamond slopes?

Also, since when is a blue the easiest and a green an intermediate?

Well written article :roll:

thetrailboss

Staff member
hammer said:
I think the Boy Scouts get a bad rap because they are seen as not being entirely PC...for example, one important aspect of being a scout is having religious beliefs (although it is stressed that what God you believe in is not important).

I'm having a hard time holding back my feelings on this....I agree with ya, Hammer. I'm really upset that some people have hijacked the organization with their views. Don't get me started on BSA vs. Dale. :roll: :angry: I think the recent philosophy shift is suicidal. It's all about raising great young men and letting them make decisions with the best info. It's about integrity and leadership through outdoors skills. Not what some people consider to be "the only right way" of seeing things :roll:

It's a sad day when an Eagle Scout is rejected from consideration for a job because he is an Eagle Scout and this new "stigma" about Scouting. Eagle Scout used to be an honor. Now some see it as a badge of bigotry. How terrible.

The main concern that I see with the original post is that the Boy Scouts are, for whatever reason, "dumbing down" merit badge requirements...I hope for my son's sake that this is not the case.

Again, as a counselor, there is the "no more, no less" rule for merit badges. The MB program is to introduce boys to different activities and to make the proficient in the skill. Not experts, just proficient. Now some leaders do bend the rules and it only hurts the boys. And others are too tough.

In this article, the author (we're in West VA, folks...not ski country) was obviously not an experienced skier and he was probably just reflecting on their trip.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
skibum1321 said:
Where are these dreaded quadruple black diamond slopes?

Also, since when is a blue the easiest and a green an intermediate?

Well written article :roll:

1. Yeah, bring on the quads! Maybe he's confusing this with chairlifts? Then again, in W. VA everything is relative I suppose. He's probably talking about a 200' vertical.:smash:

2. Blue is easiest when you're giving advice to someone you care not for.....:flame:

Can't wait to see these guys in the summer on an ATV with a 24-pack of Bud strapped on back...

Moral of the story:
Keep a watchful eye when skiing. These guys are out there.... :blink:

noski

cbcbd said:
I hope some beginner doesn't read this and take it to the mountain thinking blue is easier than green.
The GREEN one is easier? oh....geeeeze, maybe that's what happened.....