• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

BOYNE USA: AZ Challenge 2009 Response/Feedback Thread

Vortex

Looks like parking is being looked into as well as lifts. Early and late season is still on the table. Well thought out resposnes. I'll have to read a few more times.

deadheadskier

Staff member
"Low volume tree skiing on Burnt Mountain"

would love to see the drawings of what they have in mind there.

mondeo

"Low volume tree skiing on Burnt Mountain"

would love to see the drawings of what they have in mind there.
mrg-chair.jpg

WJenness

SK, thank you for participating in the AZ challenge.

I am a very happy Boyne passholder and ski SR and Loon regularly, with my first journey to SL last year.

I will continue to buy a pass and ski a majority of my ski days at your resorts. I really appreciate the direction Boyne and CNL are headed in with all three of these resorts.

Thank you.

-w

Edd

I'm a huge SR skier and hit Loon and the Loaf a number of times each year. Thanks for participating Stephen. I was looking forward to the responses.

deadheadskier

Staff member
While probably best for the skiing experience, if I were a local, I'd be a bit discouraged by Stephen hinting at essentially giving up on the resort as a four season destination.

Having worked at Snowshoe an equally if not more remote and difficult area to get to, I can appreciate the challenge. I would think Snowshoe would be a good model on how to generate summer business. I don't ever see Sugarloaf doing the volume of summer business Snowshoe does because of all of the other closer competitive areas in New England. I still think it's a worthy study for them to generate enough off season revenue to keep a core group of staff gainfully employed.

Skimaine

SK,

Thank you for you responses and willingness to share your plans. Like most I would like to see more 4 seasons development, however, I understand and appreciate the rational. I like knowing the strategy and would rather have limited resources focused on the core business (skiing).

I am looking forward to many years of skiing at both SL and SR.

SLyardsale

Thanks for participating - thanks for some candid replies, especially in regards to SL. FYI, you must have read by the question relating to Saddleback... Please fell free to add in any comments about that topic..

ga2ski

SK,

Thanks for participating.

In response to some of your answers:

First and foremost, I meant no disrespect to any of the local employees at SR. I think they do a great job and I am friends with several of them. I have heard responses to my questions from local SR Upper Management and employees of multiples other departments (names withheld to protect the innocent or guilty ;) ). And now have your responses.

In terms of you not hearing any other complaints about removing Lift 5, I find that hard to believe as I know several people at the mountains (some of who may be employees in multiple different departments) that agree with me. They just may not be as vocal as I was regarding the lift (maybe in fear of loss of employment).
I'm not sure if you have a program similar to that in my company, but our COO visits all our worldwide offices annually and sits down (or sometimes ride chairlifts) with individuals or small groups of employees from all levels to discuss the good and bad of working at the company. He hears it all. If you have a similar program, I'm really surprised that you never heard this.

On a more positive note, I’m a glad to hear the commitment to opening SR early and SL saying open late. I hope you come and join us on the slopes on Halloween. Look for me in the Tigger costume, and we can discuss some of my other ideas in person on the lift.

Also I appreciate all the improvements that Boyne and CNL has done to the SR since taking ownership. Keep up the good work and I’ll keep sending my constructive criticism, even if I’m no longer moderating your message board.

Thanks again for listening and responding to our questions.

Last edited:

millerm277

ga2ski said:
...that I agree with me....

I certainly hope you do. :lol: Sorry, just having fun.

Anyway, I liked the responses. Need to get up to Sugarloaf this year I think....

ga2ski

One additional note about the responses. p

In my opinion a ski area is about conditions and not the look of base area. Two of my favorite areas to ski have a very old looking base area. They have great conditions and decents lifts though.

If you are trying to "clean up the look of South Ridge" (maybe all the BC alums look for this ;) ) try buying some matches and burn the debacle known as the south ridge lodge. Personally I hope this does not happen( unless of course the valet parking signs are inside the building :lol: ). I would much rather see the capital invested into the trails and lifts.

Okay enough of my banter. I do my best to behave now.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I love the White Cap area - wish that lodge got some tender loving care eventually...

White Caps would get more love if the Heat chair came all the way down to the lodge. Well, at least it would be more popular. 90% of the time I've been to the River I park there. It is the best option for a day trip skier who arrives at 9 or later. I don't like having to take two chairs when I start my day. I want to get on and ramp up to the top and start skiing. Barker is best for that, but parking is a bitch there after 8:30 on weekends.

Newpylong

White Caps would get more love if the Heat chair came all the way down to the lodge. Well, at least it would be more popular. 90% of the time I've been to the River I park there. It is the best option for a day trip skier who arrives at 9 or later. I don't like having to take two chairs when I start my day. I want to get on and ramp up to the top and start skiing. Barker is best for that, but parking is a bitch there after 8:30 on weekends.

Good points - The Heat chair is kinda wasted up there... Obsession is one of the best steep cruisers around.

At least you can access the rest from the Tempest Quad though with one ride.

Agreed, Barker is rough, too bad because it's the best access point I think like you said.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Good points - The Heat chair is kinda wasted up there... Obsession is one of the best steep cruisers around.

At least you can access the rest from the Tempest Quad though with one ride.

Agreed, Barker is rough, too bad because it's the best access point I think like you said.

Love Obsession and Shockwave. I even think Heat would see more love and be more 'Outer Limit' esque (more of a showcase) if the lift went right down to the lodge.

Tempest chair is definitely good as you can get right down to Barker or over to South Ridge. People hate the Kansas to eventually Road Runner slog, but I'm always glad it's there when parked at White Cap. It's nice to be able to get back to your car from the summit of any of the other 7 peaks without worrying about having to take a lift.

no! the heat chair is perfect where it is! moving it down to the base wouldn't gain you any usable vert and it'll only serve to increase the gaper factor on the heat.

Just get up earlier and make it to Barker before 8:30...of course getting rid of the whole row that was reserved for GSR parking last year...in addition to the 2 rows of preferred parking would help ease things at Barker. From Feb on the top 3 rows were reserved for preferred or GSR...and they wouldn't even let my pregnant wife park in the GSR row AFTER 10am despite the dozen or so empty spaces. The whole elitism thing isn't in tune with the vibe at Barker...keep it at South Ridge. One row of preferred parking is enough! PARKING TO THE PEOPLE!