• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke Mountain: December 21, 2006 (A Trailboss Sighting...)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: December 21, 2006

Resort or Ski Area: Burke Mountain

Conditions: MG/LG

Trip Report: Day One at Burke Mountain. It will only get better from here. Drove up for a few turns. Saw the_original_trailboss, who was busy stocking up his store. Then drove up to the mountain.

In my last visit, I might have commented that there was no snow. Mother nature decided to prove me wrong because today was depressing. The trails that had snow were good.

Pulled into MidBurke and hiked up to the Poma. It was race camp week, so there were some young racers zooming around (and why do they need to be so messy in the lodges???). Three good runs on Warren's before heading down to the Lower Mountain to ride the HSQ.

Dashney was just as I left off in April....edge to edge. It was the run of the day. The Bunker Hill/Binney Lane run was good, but the upper part was literally a snow path through the grass down to a re-vamped Bunker Hill....new HKD's galore. High Meadows just opened and it was slick. Did several runs down here....even got stuck on the HSQ for fifteen minutes when it broke down....but they got it back up. Heck, even hit the J-Bar for a few spins.

They need (and probably will) blow snow from MidBurke to the Summit Quad....it was a thin snow path there as well....more dirt than snow, but you've got to start somewhere.

A look up the mountain revealed snowguns going on Upper Willoughby, Shoot, and Upper Bear Den. They are saying Saturday....but there is NO SNOW at the quad loading area, so I imagine they will build it up tonight and tomorrow. Other than that, they probably could have opened the top from my vantage point....the base was there, but they were letting it leach.

I also noted that someone has been reading my comments about the place....the HKD's that were put in an obscure location at the top of the HSQ have been relocated. Good move. :wink:

Next time for me will Sunday, knock on wood. Tomorrow will be Pico and the opening of the summit! :beer:

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
12/22? :blink: Did you take your time machine up there today, boss?

thetrailboss

Staff member
12/22? :blink: Did you take your time machine up there today, boss?

Thanks Greg, caught it.

And by the way......just for those Burke fans....

I did my first run on the Poma. As I pulled up, the liftie greeted me with a smile and a ticket scanner!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :blink: :evil: :roll: That's it. Burke has gone ASC-Corporate. :wink: Oh well....if it helps them, then all the better.