• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burn all your old skis, farm animals, and virgins...

Savemeasammy

I'm not the praying sort, but I could make an exception for this... Even though I'll be in friggin' NC for a wedding!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

ScottySkis

snow snow snow i say so so it will hsppen kedp the virgins and pets i live i say so and i should be up their to enjoy mYbe go get some Bush this weekend.

Tin

^All I see is "snow frjjnfvr3jnfr3gotgn4ogg4ou bush frufgnrungfurfnurfdrdo3f virgins efjnurgfr89hggh58g8gfhn5u9"...

Euler

228 hour model? I'm willing to pray, sacrifice and burn, but not getting my hopes up just yet...

drjeff

228 hour model? I'm willing to pray, sacrifice and burn, but not getting my hopes up just yet...

Yup, just slightly better odds of happening than say winning powerball or getting struck by lightning ;)

wa-loaf

I've seen this too many times this season. Talk to me next Wednesday ...

BenedictGomez

I was wondering when we'd get a thread on this.

I've even seen whispers on Twitter of a strong analog to the '93 superstorm.

For the 3rd or 4th time this winter.

This is the new (weird) trend in social media with weather, it started last winter, but has EXPLODED this winter.

Somebody takes a snow map 8 or 10 days out and uses it for hype and attention to generate web hits, Likes, and traffic to his/her website, twitter account, or Facebook feed.

The fact is, the appearance of these HUGE SNOW STORMS! (bolded, italicized, underlined, font changed, and colored for maximum attention and hype) are not that uncommon on the models 8 or 9 or 10 days out and few actually do turn into big snowstorms and even fewer tun into HUGE SNOW STORMS!

Fingers crossed and hope for the best, but if I see a 20" snowstorm nine days out, if you told me then that I could lock in 6" I would take it and run with it.

catsup948

Temps are going to be well below normal next week for a lot of the northeast this is good for snow. Bad thing is odds of a large storm after 3/21 are on average very low outside of far northern new england. This winter has been full of tricks though!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
For the 3rd or 4th time this winter.

This is the new (weird) trend in social media with weather, it started last winter, but has EXPLODED this winter.

Somebody takes a snow map 8 or 10 days out and uses it for hype and attention to generate web hits, Likes, and traffic to his/her website, twitter account, or Facebook feed.

The fact is, the appearance of these HUGE SNOW STORMS! (bolded, italicized, underlined, font changed, and colored for maximum attention and hype) are not that uncommon on the models 8 or 9 or 10 days out and few actually do turn into big snowstorms and even fewer tun into HUGE SNOW STORMS!

Fingers crossed and hope for the best, but if I see a 20" snowstorm nine days out, if you told me then that I could lock in 6" I would take it and run with it.

You don't think there's a difference between hyping a model 7-10 days out, and comparing the pattern to analog years?

BenedictGomez

You don't think there's a difference between hyping a model 7-10 days out, and comparing the pattern to analog years?

But you said analog to a storm. That's different than analog to a weather pattern. A storm is a one day'ish event, a pattern is something that could last for days or weeks. Either way it's interesting, but I do believe showing a model with 24" inches of widespread snow 8 or 10 days out is just hype.

BenedictGomez

So now the Euro, Canadian, and UKIE models are all on-board for a massive, huge, monsterous, killer snowstorm for the entire northeast next week.

The US government model has it going out to sea around Florida/Georgia.

Tin

Seeing something bringing rain to Virginia south and light snow for the NE starting Tuesday-Weds.

Cannonball

I've noticed that new trend too. The place I have seen it the most this year is in this AZ weather forum. Look through all the storm threads, they mostly all started with models 8-10 days out. But I don't really see it as a problem. Gives us something to talk about, while we all (hopefully) recognize that it has only a loose connection to reality.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
My (totally non-scientific, anti-jinxing, curmudgeon) predictions:

Scenario 1: Storm blows up, dumps 3 feet of snow in CT/MA but there is a sharp cutoff on the north side and NVT gets 2.567” (still more snow than we have received in the last 3 weeks). White Mtns heavily shadow the NEK.
Probability=40%

Scenario 2: Storm is a cutter and tracks through Ottawa, dumping 3” of hot rain on New England.
Probability=40%

Scenario 3: The storm barely organizes and produces widespread snow showers in NE that accumulate enough to barely cover the dirt 3 week old snow currently on the ground. Shovels stay in the garage.
Probability=40%

See what I did there? :)