• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski and snowboarding hills that are closing for the season

snoseek

Like i said. 1 lift 2k base elevation. But sure let's funnel the all to a hill near the mass border that sits 1k lower

drjeff

Isn’t the elevation at the top of the highest lift about 3600 feet at both Stowe and Mt Snow ?
Summit at Mount Snow is about 3600 ft.

If they could go WAY back in time and use the Northface with downloading, May skiing with a decent snowmaking effort would certainly be in play..

Lower elevation and more Easterly exposure of the main face and Carinthia makes going into May more challenging for sure

RH29

Summit at Mount Snow is about 3600 ft.

If they could go WAY back in time and use the Northface with downloading, May skiing with a decent snowmaking effort would certainly be in play..

Lower elevation and more Easterly exposure of the main face and Carinthia makes going into May more challenging for sure
Now that would motivate me to head up there for spring skiing. Just two trails on the North Face would probably be worth the 2h20m drive. Carinthia won't cut it.

Berkshire East might not make it to this weekend. They're gonna get torched by rain and the summit is looking fine, but the base area is beginning to melt out already.

2Planker

My kid plays lacrosse. That makes April skiing challenging. I have a boat that goes in 5/1, so I'm not interested in May turns. I get it. You aren't explaining anything a parent or others don't understand already.

It's definitely a Vail thing more than the other players.

Boyne went for it to start the season and is carrying through into May with Sugarloaf

Sugarbush and Jay still going deep

Killington still going deep

Vail collectively has shortened their Eastern season far more than the competition. That's a fact and it's okay to admit it.
I spent 10-15 years working for SR during the MA April School Vacation week. Barker & White Cap all day every day 👍
They ALWAYS made it to May 1. Now, even SR will close a ton of fully open terrain after this next weekend.

Vail sucks. WC has killer coverage right now. Plenty left to make it easy as last open in NH
BW too. WTF closing next week 😬

drjeff

nobody is pushing the market in NH to stay open later.
You can certainly make the case that the earlier and earlier starts to youth soccer, baseball, softball, lacrosse,, golf as Spring sports, and the notion by many parents in particular that their kids (and many coaches as well) that their kids need to focus on just 1 sport, rather than many, and if they miss practices it will affect their playing time, that has happened over the last 20 years or so for sure, has likely been the biggest factor, even more so than the corporatization of the ski industry in why the desire for many resorts, who used to push it later, has dwindled. I am guessing that off the record, you would hear the GM's of many resorts who often go into late April, say that in reality they would like to shut down roughly April 1st most years, and the economics of the situation probably plays as much into the mix as the fact that the staff of the ski area who is still working then, is tired from going day in and day out for the previous 5+ months, and would like a little relaxation time before Summer ops and Summer maintenance season hits

deadheadskier

Staff member
If you're going to make a claim like that, present data to back it up. Are there fewer April ski visits today than 30 years ago? Also, lol on needing R&R. When I was an unsalaried resort worker (that's the majority), I dreaded the shoulder seasons and lack of income.

I don't see any change to the typical youth sports schedule for the most part. I started little league late March as a kid just as my son has started lacrosse at the same time. I won't deny there are more travel and all star leagues that push the shoulder seasons, but that's a specialized group of youth athletes and not the majority.

jimmywilson69

I would argue that there are way more travel and club sports leagues now than when a decade ago when my son was in Travel baseball. How that affects skiing I have no idea.

I would be curious on the numbers of April Skiers now vs 20 years ago. Being from the Mid-Atlantic, April skiing is treat I rarely have taken part in. I'm sure New England is a much different animal though.

snoseek

Id gladly give up shitty Thanksgiving-Christmas skiing for some Spring skiing…
I fully agree. The actual season vs what it should be are about 3-4 weeks off most years.

Reactions: zyk

zyk

I fully agree. The actual season vs what it should be are about 3-4 weeks off most years.
Agree as well. I get most of my days in March. Little to none before January.

djd66

It would be interesting to see some ski area take that approach. Don’t blow any snow until mid December and then use most of the budget when it’s cold. In theory it would be cheaper to operate the mountain and then extend the season into April. I’m sure people here will think I’m crazy and maybe I am. But I always thought it was a waste to blow snow in early November only to have it wash away in warmup or rain event. Not sure if it’s a trend, but it certainly seems like winter is starting later every year.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Here's my question: Does this Monday through Thursday (3/27-3/30) generate more income for a ski area than 4/22-23 + 4/29-30??

I'd bet the latter dates are more profitable given four reasonably similar weather days.

I'd rather see a resort reduce midweek operations to extend the season vs operating 7 days and closing weeks earlier.

Abominable

I would kill to be on my 'local' hill today (Catamount) but they are closed mid-week now, with only a potentially rainy weekend left. Sunday will be last day. Today is a beautiful day for spring skiing here in the Hudson valley.

Truth is, it was depressingly empty on a perfect spring day last Friday, had the place to myself. Hard to keep bartenders / kitchen staff and everyone else there for ten customers (very few of whom were buying day tickets).

And although my kids are still a bit young for the team and travel sports, I get enough emails from those squads that I can see it hindering my spring skiing in the near future.

Once my kids all get on the public school calendar (two still in nursery/pre-K) I hope to use the Easter break for a trip way up north across the border or out west. That's something to look forward to.

thebigo

Once my kids all get on the public school calendar (two still in nursery/pre-K) I hope to use the Easter break for a trip way up north across the border or out west. That's something to look forward to.
We have been going to killington for april vacation week since kids started school. Awesome week: ski in the morning, family activity in the afternoon, swim after dinner. Everything is empty: pool/museums/raptors/restaurants/mountain/mini golf etc. Wife wanted to go west this year, kids vetoed it for killington.

Abominable

We have been going to killington for april vacation week since kids started school. Awesome week: ski in the morning, family activity in the afternoon, swim after dinner. Everything is empty: pool/museums/raptors/restaurants/mountain/mini golf etc. Wife wanted to go west this year, kids vetoed it for killington.

Good tip, something to keep in mind, thanks!