• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Butternut 3/29/13

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Time Skied: 8:40-3:10
Conditions: HARD pack in AM, slush in PM
Weather: Warm, 40-50 degrees
Clothing: Gaper style!

I arrived at Da Nut' at 8:30 expecting a 9:00 lift opening. Management opened the lifts a full 20 minutes early! THANK YOU Butternut! There was about 10 people on line for first trax. I took my first run, Applejacks, and it was like midwinter conditions. The snow had zero grip! You would slide around, completely un-edgeable. Yes, it was extremely loud for the first hour! By 10 things had softened up, and I headed over to the Triple area. ROTD was on Freewheeler. That's an awesome trail. Consistent pitch, relatively steep for a Butternit intermediate, fantastic views, and few crowds. I lapped it and Downspout about 6 times each the whole day. By noon crowds had died down to a normal midweek day because things got messy. It was a pond skimming competition trying to get to each lift. No bare spots to report! Still enough snow to go off the beaten track above Crosstown. IF Butternut is open next weekend there won't be any terrain park features. The jumps are getting saggy. Rails and boxes are starting to lean slightly.
Hob Nob:
Butternut 3 29.jpg

Lucifer's:
100_4113.jpg

Crosstown:
100_4112.jpg

Cool clouds:
100_4115.jpg

skiking4

Nice! Haven't been to Butternut in years. always liked Catamount & Jiminy so much more.