• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

BodeMiller1

Ho
What are you talking about?

Someone said the issue was not weight but grips.
How on earth do you think they can just pull of chairs. Yea, CDSkier is right. These chairs are engineered to have all their parts, Butt, yea I read too much into weight.

High speed detachables should have extra chair kicking around. So, yep. At any rate it seems like short $.

edit: I am speculating because it's fun. :)

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think if I understand right he's talking about a potential reason for not simply removing the chairs off the line with the bad grips.
Thanks. I see that you interpret BodeMiller1 language. ;)

And I can see that weight is a concern, especially if a large number of carriers need to be removed. I have regularly seen one or maybe two chairs off a line, but not many more. As to the missing grips, this is another case of supply chain issues I suppose.

BodeMiller1

Do you know how much water is coming off that mountain in the spring? Exactly one cubic mile of water. What do you want to do wash out I93.

Of course there are deep water bars.

Granite1

Why was I the only one skiing liftline at Mittersill yesterday morning?

Attachments

• IMG_2249.JPG
    IMG_2249.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2250.JPG
    IMG_2250.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 34

witch hobble

Parked at the tram today for the first time in a few years…..not being able to park at Zoomer the last week has me appreciating the fact that Cannon actually has 4 separate locations (peabody, mitt, zoomer, tram base) to start your day from…..or more if you park brookside and start at tucker brook. Anyway, skiing was good….tramway, upper cannon up top. Gary’s and Rocket aren’t getting much traffic so they hold up well until you have to go into mach schnell at the cut back.

BodeMiller1

Why was I the only one skiing liftline at Mittersill yesterday morning?
I know this one.

1) You have a flexable work schedule.
2) If Cannon is tricky; Mittersille is more tricky.
3) If you get flushed out through the Ct River head waters you most likely can swim out of it.
4) Others are in fear of the unknown. Let's face it there are chimneys and elevator shafts near Candy Land.
5) You wanted to do it.

Dwight Stone Out.

Mum skier

Parked at the tram today for the first time in a few years…..not being able to park at Zoomer the last week has me appreciating the fact that Cannon actually has 4 separate locations (peabody, mitt, zoomer, tram base) to start your day from…..or more if you park brookside and start at tucker brook. Anyway, skiing was good….tramway, upper cannon up top. Gary’s and Rocket aren’t getting much traffic so they hold up well until you have to go into mach schnell at the cut back.
OK serious questions in amongst all this stuff.
I’ve never skied Cannon, but plan to do a couple days on Indy Pass this year. Which base would I need to go to for the Indy redemption? I thought options were Tram and Peabody and Peabody is the one with the most service? But here someone mentions 4 bases.

Second question. Crazy busy Saturday before Presidents day? We have the plus pass so no blackouts. A few years ago I was surprised that Saturday at Sunapee wasn’t busy, seemed with a long weekend no one rushed out on Saturday. But that was precovid. We ski Sunapee so “busy” is a relative term…..

Third question. Is it miserable for snowboarders getting to the tram? Looks pretty flat to get across based on looking from 93 as you drive past.

witch hobble

I’ve never skied Cannon, but plan to do a couple days on Indy Pass this year. Which base would I need to go to for the Indy redemption? I thought options were Tram and Peabody and Peabody is the one with the most service? But here someone mentions 4 bases.

Second question. Crazy busy Saturday before Presidents day? We have the plus pass so no blackouts. A few years ago I was surprised that Saturday at Sunapee wasn’t busy, seemed with a long weekend no one rushed out on Saturday. But that was precovid. We ski Sunapee so “busy” is a relative term…..

Third question. Is it miserable for snowboarders getting to the tram? Looks pretty flat to get across based on looking from 93 as you drive past.
Hey! This thread is for lovers only!

Just kidding! I’m sure you’ll have to go to the Peabody base area…..windows at the base of NotchView Lodge to get your pass. Definitely the only area with anything resembling full service ski area base. The others are outposts for loners, burnouts and troglodytes.

It’ll be busy, for sure. Like anywhere, weather and snowfall dependent. Hopefully Zoomer chair will be back on line to dissipate crowds.

Tram on a snowboard is easy from Banshee, not terrible from Avalnche, but tough to carry speed all the way from Paulie’s, Zoomer, Rocket and Gary’s, especially if it is a busy day. But they’ll have to take their boards off for the tram anyway, so it’s just some extra walking, nbd.

Have fun. It’s a great mountain. Iconic.

snoseek

Anyone know when they plan on actually finishing the front 5? Going into Feb and Avalanche hasn't seen a flake of manmade which seems odd.

ceo

There's really only two bases, Peabody and the tram, and all skier services are at Peabody. The tramway base is much less crowded and does have a ticket desk, and I assume you can redeem your Indy Pass there. BUT, Indy pass redemptions are included in the sellout threshold, so you will definitely want to make a reservation online at cannonmt.com, well ahead of time.
I was there weekend before last on a day they'd sold out, and there were no significant lines. So assuming they don't raise the threshold, crowds shouldn't be an issue. And yes, there's a long flat getting to the tram, particularly from Zoomer. From Avalanche I can do it without poling if I straightline it from partway up.