• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

BodeMiller1

When I say the trail needs to have the rock knocked down the hardcore skiers get mad. If it's going to be a trial make it skiable. Blast the rocks out this summer, nuke it and pave. I skied the bottom (400 yds) in 1982.
Cannon had to make it a trail because the insurance company.had them clear the trail so you could evaluate the tram in an energy.

As mentioned in another life time, the light at the top is spooky.

I spend too much on skis and healthcare to slay...

Meow, just because a dog can jump a fence doesn't mean it will.

Last edited:

snoseek

I'm sure glad you all got out on the hill its skiing sooo good right now! I took the day off as I'm in the middle of VACA and need a rest day before the next chaos rolls in. Were the whales still out mid mtn? They clobbered the place late with snowmaking.

snoseek

Yea I’ve never skied cannon with as consistently good conditions as I got today. Really worked the place. Such fun steep tree skiing when the snow is in!

View attachment 57381
I'm really curious about 20. How tight was that? Where did you pick that up off Cannonball? Well above the TBAR unload I assume...

Edit-how was 28...thats steep in there I ate shit last time lol

KustyTheKlown

I'm really curious about 20. How tight was that? Where did you pick that up off Cannonball? Well above the TBAR unload I assume...

Edit-how was 28...thats steep in there I ate shit last time lol

so for 20 i was trying to get to the trees above golden birches glade. i skied the lift line and took the first right into the woods. i presume i was just under the thrush protection zone.. i thought i would end up at top of birches but i ended up getting spat out on barons way higher than golden birches. the approach is narrow, like a ski wide, and sort of steep, but then once you see barons you can turn into a really nice open glade, until you are eventually spat out onto barrons

28 i was looking for whiskey towne. i ended up getting into it too high. i wouldnt recommend. its tight singletrack stuff and not very fun. they actually had a somewhat permanent rope blocking off the entrance i used.

snoseek

so for 20 i was trying to get to the trees above golden birches glade. i skied the lift line and took the first right into the woods. i presume i was just under the thrush protection zone.. i thought i would end up at top of birches but i ended up getting spat out on barons way higher than golden birches. the approach is narrow, like a ski wide, and sort of steep, but then once you see barons you can turn into a really nice open glade, until you are eventually spat out onto barrons

28 i was looking for whiskey towne. i ended up getting into it too high. i wouldnt recommend. its tight singletrack stuff and not very fun. they actually had a somewhat permanent rope blocking off the entrance i used.
LOL hence why I ate shit long ago. You did indeed work that hill pretty fucking good for a guy coming from far away. Those skinny ones you did off the top of Mittersill are skiing super fun this week...

RH29

This last few weeks have been some of the best skiing in years...we just had to pay our icecoast dues I guess.

urungus

Some footage of DJs Tramline from last week, coverage looks pretty good. Also the skiers are not that great but still survived, so that gives me hope that it is doable if taken slowly. Edit: also note shortcut through woods back to main base at 10:20, since tram was not running. If you take that shortcut and miss the very bottom of DJs, can you still say you have skiied “all of DJs Tramline” ?

Last edited:

LuckyStrike

I was supposed to go to Cannon with my friends tomorrow (Saturday) but it appears like the tickets are sold out. Do I have any options at this point or am I out of luck?

Edd

I was supposed to go to Cannon with my friends tomorrow (Saturday) but it appears like the tickets are sold out. Do I have any options at this point or am I out of luck?
Don’t know how Cannon caps their sales. If it makes you feel better, you could be the luckiest of your group by NOT skiing a sold out mountain. 🤣

Smellytele

No lift lines today except zoomer which was maybe 6 chairs deep x 4. If that is sold out I would never worry about it being crowded.
Started out icy as fuck but turned into some great spring skiing on the front 5 by 11 or so.
Shit ton of skis outside the Peabody lodge. Everyone was there to see Bodie I guess

snoseek

Cannons sell out is pretty mild I'm told and they're pretty quick to shut sales down.

LuckyStrike

Don’t know how Cannon caps their sales. If it makes you feel better, you could be the luckiest of your group by NOT skiing a sold out mountain. 🤣
I ended up going to Tenney and didn't think of Cannon until now.

Granite1

Compared to Killington on Saturday, crowded and dangerous with a late opening and limited open runs, Cannon was 100 times better on Sunday. I could only ski till 11 am but got in 19 runs and 18,000 vert on the groomers. Ripping Profile was a blast, so too was Avalanche-no crowds-no lift lines.

BodeMiller1

Cannon should not cap anything. Here's why:

1) It's a public resort and should be open to all.
2) Cannon needs the money.
3) Cannon is not owned by Vail.
4) The politicians who ski there at a reduced rate do not have the right to make it a private club nor do they have the right to move in that direction.
5) Cannon needs the money and is not Vail.

Granite1

Great day at Cannon, Kept doing laps-going up Peabody Quad to and skiing Middle Cannon to right side of Extension to right side of Avalanche, up Zoomer to right side of Lower Cannon to Time Zone and repeat. Good 1-2 inches of a pasty snow fell softly and evenly over the entire mountain, sticking to everything. Right side of Extension to Right side of Avalanche is one of my favorite lines at Cannon, especially the two little drop offs, the first at the inside turn of the hairpin turn onto Avalanche, a double-even triple fall line and the second where Banshee Cut Thru crosses Avalanche. The closer to the woods the better. At the bottom of Avalanche where it flattens out there was a 50 yard long-20 yard wide stretch of smooth-untracked snow two inches deep. My first run down I made S turns, 2nd run turned the S turns into powder 8's. Third run straight down turning the 8's into dollar signs. It was in the 20's, light snow and no lift lines. Kinsman and DJ's were closed, so too was Echo Woods glade-see photo?
One run down right side of Paulie's was just as good.

Attachments

• IMG_5258.JPG
    IMG_5258.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5257.JPG
    IMG_5257.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5258.JPG
    IMG_5258.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5259.JPG
    IMG_5259.JPG