• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon *More Guns Please* 12/20/2011

Solitude67

Mountain: Cannon Mountain

Date: Tuesday 12/20/2011

Weather: Cold, Sunny with cloud cover arriving after 3PM

Conditions: PP, Hard Pack, LSFGR (Corn).

News: Front Five has two trails open! Rocket, Gary's accessible by Triple Chair

I skied Cannon today for the first time and had used Alpine Zone to carefully evaluate where to ski since I'm staying in North Conway. Thanks guys. Great trip reports really make the difference. A toast to those of you Zoners!!!! :beer::beer::beer::beer:

#1 on my list would have been Wildcat but they have almost no terrain open so after day one of the season at Bretton Woods (see trip report on that one), I decided to continue North into the White Mountains. Amazing Scenery and Roads-New Hampshire has the best ski roads anywhere and just to recap by far the best thing about Bretton is the way its set up with high speed quads to the middle then again to the summit. Having the summit open even if it was just one trail down was a huge plus with the weather being what it is so kudos to their snowmaking team! Clearly Omni resorts is putting up the money on this place as the lifties are great guys and the food service is top notch too.

As to Day 2 the choices were Loon where I understand there were many freeze thaw cycles leading to a lot of corn snow, trek to Sunday River or to Cannon. Cannon was the clear choice and at $40 for half day tixs no complaints here. Got a spot in the front row so that's impressive and I was impressed with the diversity of open terrain here and the fact that open terrain in most cases had been groomed to leave fresh powder over the hard pack as late as 2:30PM today. There were some icy spots but nothing like Bretton Woods.

Sure they weren't open to Summit at Cannon but they did a great job especially with the front five (lake facing trails) that were being blown most of the day, they started shutting some guns at the top of the triple but were blowing heavy on the left side of Rocket and Gary's was in decent shape most of the afternoon. :fangun: Surprised that there weren't more guns blowing today as it was certainly cold enough but it appears that they are targeting the front five and from what I saw Zoomer and Paulie's Folly should be next on the list.

:)An area of great snow was in the terrain park under the C Lift which was untracked for most of the afternoon. Cannon clearly doesn't spend money on its food court as they had literally nothing available to eat and I managed to get a Turkey and Cheese wrap made on Thursday good till Monday. Thanks cannon:puke::puke::puke:

I agree with other reviewers on Attitash that there's simply not enough open to consider and Cranmore looks sparse too.

With the iffy forecast for tomorrow and my thighs the way they are going to hold off and hope good conditions on Thursday at Sunday River then back home.

Will try to upload photos but the lodge I'm at seems to block uploading.

Last edited: