• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon tram lift evac today?

chuckstah

I just received a text from a friend saying there was a tram evac today at Cannon. That must have really sucked in the cold. Just confirmed on the local news.

Cornhead

Wow, glad to hear no one was "sickend". An hour and a half before the decision to evacuate was made? Another hour and a half and 14 were still aboard. I wonder if anyone was in need of some personal evacuation? That must be awkward.

This weekend I'd rather be stuck on a tram car than a chairlift, that's for sure. Pretty nice out this afternoon in Central NYS I thought. 12°, sunny, and no wind. Much more pleasant than Saturday.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Wow, glad to hear no one was "sickend". An hour and a half before the decision to evacuate was made? Another hour and a half and 14 were still aboard. I wonder if anyone was in need of some personal evacuation? That must be awkward.

This weekend I'd rather be stuck on a tram car than a chairlift, that's for sure. Pretty nice out this afternoon in Central NYS I thought. 12°, sunny, and no wind. Much more pleasant than Saturday.

My Biggest issue with skiing when it's brutal cold. Was evaced at Shawnee one year but it as 60f, Stuck for 20min at Camelback one night in the 80's . 30mph wind 5f 20ft from the top . Considered jumping more than once!
Tram at least your not in the wind.

zoomzoom

depending on the location of the tram, they may have figured that the passengers were safe and to keep troubleshooting the problem that applied the service brake. these guys aren't amatures, and know the implications of swinging folks on ropes.

drjeff

An hour and a half to DECIDE to evacuate???? They have to do better.

Probably took the lift mechanics 5 to 10 minutes to get on site after the lift ops couldn't get it going, which probably took a few minutes for them to realize they needed to call for the mechanics.

Then once the mechanics got on site it probably took them a few minutes to try and troubleshoot what they thought was wrong and how to possibly fix it, then maybe repeat for option 2 and maybe 3 before they realized they couldn't get the tram running and had to call for the evac.

Always easier to try and fix it if possible, or at least get it running on auxiliary power to get folks offloaded than call for the evac!!

Quietman

Always easier to try and fix it if possible, or at least get it running on auxiliary power to get folks offloaded than call for the evac!!

Amen to that, in 5 years of being a lead operator, came close to evacs twice. Both down times were approx 30 minutes.

catskills

Now this is how they do a lift evac out west. Why go down when you can go up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcv5WfpMxSI

Seriously I remember reading that Cannon has a special team (not necessarily ski patrol) that are always on call to do their TRAM lift evac. This team would need to drive to the mountain if they are not already their enjoying their free turns. Maybe someone can verify this. I could be wrong. My memory is not what it use to be. :-?

crystalmountainskier

Now this is how they do a lift evac out west. Why go down when you can go up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcv5WfpMxSI

Seriously I remember reading that Cannon has a special team (not necessarily ski patrol) that are always on call to do their TRAM lift evac. This team would need to drive to the mountain if they are not already their enjoying their free turns. Maybe someone can verify this. I could be wrong. My memory is not what it use to be. :-?

At Jackson Hole the tram operators are responsible for evacuating all of the passengers in their cars including themselves with minimal help from the outside. All the necessary equipment is stored inside the cars and the evac procedure is practiced monthly.

VTKilarney

Here is a picture of the couple with their baby and au pair that got stuck on the tram. The woman on the left is the au pair. She's the person the baby is actually looking at.

Tram.jpg

Last edited:

MG Skier

I wouldn't wish that experience being stuck on a lift/tram for anyone. However, is that something one puts on their skiing "bucket list"?

SIKSKIER

Had about 8 friends on that tram.Service brake went on.Some didn't get evacted till 4:45.3 I cant stand being on that fart ferry for 8 minutes never mind 3 hours.Yikes.