• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Central NY recomendations

tekweezle

I will be in Central NY around the Syracuse/Oneida this coming weekend. I know there are ski areas but have never gone to any of them. I am thinking about doing a quick day trip and night skiing if available.

Do you have any recomendations on which ones would be good? I have heard of Labroadour Mountain and Greek Peak. what is yor opinions on these areas? how are the conditions?

unfortunately, i think I am too far away to do a daytrip to any of the bigger mountains like Whiteface, Gore or Holiday Valley.

Thanks in advance

ChileMass

Greek Peak is my favorite in central NY. None of the ski hills in the area compare with Gore or Whiteface or the New England resorts - they just don't have the vert, the traffic or the cash to compete. Greek Peak is probably the best of the bunch. I skied there a few times about 10 years ago and the hill is OK, it has night skiing, and the lodge was fun with friendly people. It takes about a45 min from downtown Syracuse, straight down I-81 and then a few miles out in cow country.

Have fun - !

smootharc

Syracuse and environs mean...

...severe vertical challenge. Five minutes up, 24 seconds down. Repeat. Again and again and again...

The options are Snow Ridge, northwest of Rome in Turin, with 500 vert (they claim 600). Some epic days as they are due east of Ontario lake, but they've allowed the great glades of the 50's and 60's to grow back. Go figure.

Greek peak south of Cortland as mentioned, and the little three more local (all about 20 minutes south of Syracuse) which is Song, Labrador, and Toggenburg.

The folks who own and run these places, in my humble opinion, just don't get it when it comes to being vertically challenged. For years I and many others have suggested more trails, and especially woods development (which could be fantastic), and would allow some sort of destination effect to apply. Remember, this is lake effect country, with huge dumps, so interesting terrain adjustments would be great. "Hey - we may not have the vertical, but we get huge dumps and have great trees and lots of sweet little thin interesting woods trails...." But no, after each dump they can't wait fast enough to get out the groomers and roll it all down. Alas, they must all call eachother each spring and say "hey, if you don't develop any tree skiing, I won't either". It's a conspiracy, I tell you !!! :lol: And too, bad, really. Anyways, I use the locals for conditioning laps, and spend the rest of my ski days in the MRV.

Anyways, of the bunch, I was at Greek Peak last saturday, and nice spring conditions. It's claimed to be about 150-200 vertical more than the three mentioned above, but it truthfully doesn't feel like it the way it skis. More variety, though. And a level of professional feel that sets it apart - the lodge amenities, the ski school, the patrol, working on mountain clocks, trail maps at tops of lifts, etc. Song yesterday was, yup, a bore, but fun. Light rain, and about 30 folks. It looked closed when I drove up in the afternoon. Nice soft bumps. My god, don't try to look for anything that works other than the cash register in the cafeteria. I count 4 non working on hill clocks. Two don't even have hands on the faces anymore ! Hell, guess it's a pet peeve, as I'm on my soapbox now....

So there you have it, my local .02. Been skiing CNY since '65, and love to hate it to love it. On those powder days....well, this season has had some great ones....and in those secret trees....well, there's a few local routes that are just sick....so, roger that and over and out... :lol:

tekweezle

thanks for the feedback.

i wonder if there is a map that has the pinpoint locations of all the ski areas. i was able to find one for vermont at some gas station.

i am not expect much in the way of challenge but you never know. i guess since i am out there, might as well explore.

Greg

Staff member
tekweezle said:
i wonder if there is a map that has the pinpoint locations of all the ski areas. i was able to find one for vermont at some gas station.
In my neverending quest to provide the best directory of Northeast ski areas, I've added a small "Map" link which links to a MapQuest map at zoom level 3 next to the city/state fields on the ski resort state listings. Example.