• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Chairlift Eavesdropping

kickstand

I don't remember all the specifics of the conversation, but I was on the triple at Attitash with a couple of locals, kids either still in or just out of college. They were dishing on instructors and racers they had hooked up with and stuff. One of them was talking about this girl Amber, and he referred to her as "Slamber". I sort of laughed out loud at that one. They apologized to me for their topics, but I insisted they keep going. Reminded me of my college days....

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not on a lift or in the lodge, but a few weeks ago while I was sitting in the airport getting ready to return to UT I overheard a guy behind me going off about his trip to Vermont, and how the state was made up of odd, closed-minded farmers or cityslickers who didn't want to talk to folks. I was about ready to butt in and tell him what an idiot he was as I am a fourth-generation Vermonter....

thetrailboss

Staff member
I also loved it when folks used to get on a lift with me at Burke or Sugarbush and then proceed to whine about how Stowe was so much better, how they like the groomers, blah, blah, blah and I would smirk and simply reply, "Good. Go back to Stowe." :lol:

I also overheard folks last week grumbling at Deer Valley about how bad it was that they did not groom the powder the day before and how tired they got. Love it when folks grumble about how they don't groom the powder....

I've also had folks ask me, in late-March or April, why Sugarbush did not make snow the night before.

ceo

Ages ago; I might have still been in high school, I was riding up a lift with two instructors talking shop. One mentioned something about "and so I had fourteen six-year-olds!". The other said "Yikes... I'd rather have six fourteen-year-olds".

He might have meant it entirely innocently, but his tone of voice and the other instructor's reaction argued otherwise. :)

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I was at Catamount on the Summit Quad on a Saturday. A mom and her young son loaded with me. When we're almost 2/3's of the way up she asks me, "Is there any beginner terrain off this lift?" I kindly say no, but in my head I'm thinking you're screwed! She starts panicking and talking to herself about the situation. Kinda funny. The kid was silent the whole way up!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I was at Catamount on the Summit Quad one Saturday. A mom and her young son loaded with me. When we're almost 2/3's of the way up she asks me, "Is there any beginner terrain off this lift?" I kindly say no, but in my head I'm thinking you're screwed! She starts panicking and talking to herself about the situation. Kinda funny. The kid was silent the whole way up!

ScottySkis

In Utah, years ago when people say your from the east, so why are their so many murderers in NYC? I guess this is not Eavesdropping but it was asked more then once on the chair!:thumbdown:

C-Rex

I also overheard folks last week grumbling at Deer Valley about how bad it was that they did not groom the powder the day before and how tired they got. Love it when folks grumble about how they don't groom the powder....

A week or so back at Butternut they had around 10" of fresh and I heard a little kid on the chair behind me say, "Dad, that last trail stunk. There's too much powder!!!" Dad replied, "I know, I can't believe they didn't groom it." Had to laugh.

A couple weeks ago, at Heavenly, I listened to a couple complain about how icy the trails were. It was in the mid 50's and bluebird. I would love to show some of those people a little of our Ice-coast boiler plate.

skirick

Ok, so I was at Hunter last week and one guy I rode up with was telling me about his younger days in the Woodstock era, so on and so forth, and then he told me that he dreamed of the date of which he was going to die and recited the date. The conversation was starting to get creepy so i'm glad we were at the top by then.

dmc

Had a couple guys on a chair once that spoke russian..
They didn't know my buddy understands the language..

they started talking trash about us thinking we didn't know..
My buddy leans over to me and told me the russian phrase for "I know what your saying asshole"...

I said it... they were embarrassed... didnt really say much more.. :)

2sons

On the Forerunner at Stowe last year with my 11 year old son and my wife called. I answered on speaker inadvertently and my wife went on to ask what sort of underwear my son wanted - boxers or tighty whiteys? Realizing this she got all embarrassed and flustered and the two kids we were riding with yelled- it's okay Mom!

x10003q

Had a couple guys on a chair once that spoke russian..
They didn't know my buddy understands the language..

they started talking trash about us thinking we didn't know..
My buddy leans over to me and told me the russian phrase for "I know what your saying asshole"...

I said it... they were embarrassed... didnt really say much more.. :)

Sunday I was on the HS6 at Hunter with my son. We got on with a mom and dad and their son (maybe 12). The mom and dad were having a very intense yet controlled argument in Russian. The were speaking over each other and there were a lot of nyet, nyet ,nyets. Eventually the mom starts weeping and the son says boldly to the dad in English you are being mean to mom. The father says something in Russian and the son answered with a very meek tone in Russian. By now the mom is try to regain her composure but still weeping. It was quite a show. Then we got off. They were still jawing as they skied down to Hellgate. I would have loved to know what they were discussing.

All Sunday at Hunter we were riding the lifts with Russians. I noticed a lot of the Russians were wearing a helmet with an attached visor like a fighter pilot's helmet. The dad was wearing one.

Quietman

My brother was skiing at Mt Snow and carrying a couple of beers, very nice looking female lifty looks at my brother as we were loading and asks "Is that a beer in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" He was speachless.

Riding the Keystone gondola at night with a couple of good looking locals and the same brother tries to be cool and offers them a Coors light and one responded "We don't drink that weak piss water shit" Again, he was speachless.

Getting on the Wildcat quad last March on an 75 degree day and carrying some beers (again) to stash in the snow at the top. As the same brother sits down on the chair, a beer can falls out of his pocket onto the loading ramp behind him. The next time around we see the beer on the window ledge inside the lift shack. Brother asks the attendant if he can have it back and was told "we'll think about it" Just before noon we noticed it was gone and he asked the attendant and was told "we thought about it, got thirsty, and decided to drink it"

RENO

My brother was skiing at Mt Snow and carrying a couple of beers, very nice looking female lifty looks at my brother as we were loading and asks "Is that a beer in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" He was speachless.Riding the Keystone gondola at night with a couple of good looking locals and the same brother tries to be cool and offers them a Coors light and one responded "We don't drink that weak piss water shit" Again, he was speachless.Getting on the Wildcat quad last March on an 75 degree day and carrying some beers (again) to stash in the snow at the top. As the same brother sits down on the chair, a beer can falls out of his pocket onto the loading ramp behind him. The next time around we see the beer on the window ledge inside the lift shack. Brother asks the attendant if he can have it back and was told "we'll think about it" Just before noon we noticed it was gone and he asked the attendant and was told "we thought about it, got thirsty, and decided to drink it"
The other day I was taking a piss at Killington and 1 of the beers in my pocket fell into the toilet and splashed me. I then reached for... the... um.... never mind! ;-)

frapcap

Since we're talking about beer stories...

A couple of years back at Stratton, I was drinking a beer on the lift with a friend. The guy and his son next to us didn't mind but told me that he'd "jab us both in the neck with his ski pole if I even thought about throwing the empty can off the lift."

All I could do was laugh and tell him we didn't do that kinda thing.

RENO

Since we're talking about beer stories...A couple of years back at Stratton, I was drinking a beer on the lift with a friend. The guy and his son next to us didn't mind but told me that he'd "jab us both in the neck with his ski pole if I even thought about throwing the empty can off the lift." All I could do was laugh and tell him we didn't do that kinda thing.
I saw an idiot on the chairlift with me and a buddy at Blue Mountain PA who had 6 bottles of beer in his jacket 2nd lift ride of the day and already consumed a couple bottles before getting on the lift according to what he told us. :-o Took 1 out and was drinking it on the lift. Finished it and put it back empty in his jacket. Can't imagine falling with all those bottles in his jacket. Amazing how much some people absolutely need to be drunk to enjoy their ski day!? :-?

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
I can remember one time I was at Shawnee Peak years ago. They would always send the groomers up onto certain trails early in the evening so they would close some of the trails while this was taking place. Usually what would happen is that a lot of people would wait for the trail to open so that they could carve into the snow really nicely. Well I was going up the lift and they had just opened Jack Spratt and a bunch of people came cruising down under us. Right after the first round we saw some people coming through and what do you know, they were loudly complaining about how terrible the trail was. So in spite of the great conditions of the trail and nearly getting first tracks, they still weren't satisfied.