• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

champagne powder

keyser soze

Some of the lightest, fluffiest powder is coming down hard now in central NJ. I just shoveled the driveway and sidewalk and when I was done another 1 1/2 " was on the ground. The good thing about it being so light is that it was easy to shovel. The bad part is that if it gets windy it is likely to blow it right back onto the walk. Reminds me of Utah powder.:grin:

skiNEwhere

The bad part is that if it gets windy it is likely to blow it right back onto the walk. Reminds me of Utah powder.:grin:

I have to deal with that all the time. Spent 2+ hours clearing this out a couple weeks ago. Might need to get a snow fence, for real.

i will say that's gotta be one of the most overused phrases out here. I liked it at first but every single storm, every single resort will use that phrase

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 145

MadMadWorld

I have to deal with that all the time. Spent 2+ hours clearing this out a couple weeks ago. Might need to get a snow fence, for real.

i will say that's gotta be one of the most overused phrases out here. I liked it at first but every single storm, every single resort will use that phrase

Every resort can't use that phrase unless the pay up to Steamboat. They actually own the trademark for Champagne Powder lol

skiNEwhere

I knew steamboat coined it but I didn't know it was a trademark. Surprised most of the CO resorts on Facebook haven't gotten a warning yet.

Edit: Or maybe they did pay. I've seen winter park use it a few times.

MadMadWorld

I knew steamboat coined it but I didn't know it was a trademark. Surprised most of the CO resorts on Facebook haven't gotten a warning yet.

I believe MRG or Sugarbush received a C & D order from Steamboat a few years ago until they realized they were calling it Champlain Powder.

skiNEwhere

Edit again: before someone corrects me, I realize that both WP and steamboat are owned by intrawest which is probably why WP uses its

BenedictGomez

I dont even understand what "Champagne powder" means. Sounds dumb (unless you're the Champagne region of France and it happens to be snowing).

Wavewheeler

I don't know but you don't see this kind of powdery, dry snow in NJ much, especially here at the shore. I love it! Wish I could go skiing in it tomorrow but doesn't seem to be destined to happen so I'll just do what I can to enjoy it. It will be a miserable, icy, slushy mess soon enough though. :(

skiNEwhere

I dont even understand what "Champagne powder" means. Sounds dumb (unless you're the Champagne region of France and it happens to be snowing).

i don't think it has an actual meaning. It's a marketing thing that is supposed to make people want to ski at steamboat.

catskills

The snow here in Wodstock, NY has zero percent water content. The snow is so dry here its invisible. We must have 10 feet of the stuff. With all the hype on the news about this storm, I am afraid to open the door for fear of letting all that invisible snow that I can't see into the house. :angry:

Cornhead

Greek Peak gets beer powder, PBR, I think, maybe Old Milwaukee.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

ScottySkis

The snow here in Wodstock, NY has zero percent water content. The snow is so dry here its invisible. We must have 10 feet of the stuff. With all the hype on the news about this storm, I am afraid to open the door for fear of letting all that invisible snow that I can't see into the house. :angry:

I only saw forecast for NYC to get most of the snow which happened. The freezing cold actually kept the snow from going north. It is sweet looking snow though.

hammer

I don't know but you don't see this kind of powdery, dry snow in NJ much, especially here at the shore. I love it! Wish I could go skiing in it tomorrow but doesn't seem to be destined to happen so I'll just do what I can to enjoy it. It will be a miserable, icy, slushy mess soon enough though. :(
What do you do to enjoy it? Growing up on the shore I wanted the wetter snow, it was better to make snowballs with.

keyser soze

What do you do to enjoy it? Growing up on the shore I wanted the wetter snow, it was better to make snowballs with.

Yes, I stepped outside the office yesterday to show off my snowball throwing prowess.:x Good thing nobody saw me throwing it as it was difficult to pack and too light.

hammer

It is light as a bastard right now. The snow is like air here in central ma. I got about 10" or so.
Are you south of the Mass Pike? Up close to NH we got a dusting, used a broom instead of a shovel to clear it off of the deck. Super light stuff.