• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Closing Dates for New England Mountains - 2015

yeggous

Don't ski the brown snow...Here's a pic from last Saturday at the River. The loading area onto Barker was by far the worst, and the rest of the open trails (along with a few closed ones) were fine. I am sure they will farm some of the snow out of RC to make the Barker load area. It will be a ski & MTB weekend for me at the Loaf...CRNEMBA just opened up some ST along the gauge trail !!

Enjoy some of the last turns of the season everyone...It really is AMAZING we are skiing on May 1st given the lack of winter!!
View attachment 20087

Ouch, that is ugly. Wildcat looked a lot better than that last weekend. It's a shame (but understandable) that offerings this time of year come down to the bottom line. I put my rocks skis in my truck so I'm ready for it.

chuckstah

Barker base area last Saturday

Attachments

• 1461936655127.jpg
    1461936655127.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 84

JimG.

Staff member
The best deal for the $ is Mont Comi on the edge of the Gaspé Peninsula. $25 CDN for 24 out of 30 runs open....oh yeah, it's pretty far east and I'm going to a show in Ottawa tomorrow night.

That's a 10 hour drive for me; looks like a fun place maybe I'll visit next winter.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
That's a 10 hour drive for me; looks like a fun place maybe I'll visit next winter.

I've been saying that for a few years, but I have a show tonight and plus I have a doctor appointment and I'm bringing my daughter to the dentist on Monday. I guess MSS it will be; free skiing at SRiver isn't worth the drive with other closer options.

JimG.

Staff member
I've been saying that for a few years, but I have a show tonight and plus I have a doctor appointment and I'm bringing my daughter to the dentist on Monday. I guess MSS it will be; free skiing at SRiver isn't worth the drive with other closer options.

MSS not in my driving wheelhouse either at 7 hours each way. Will hit that during my Tremblant trip next season.

At least the trout fishing here is starting to pick up.

Sons of Thunder

I'll be there too. Just checked the website again and now the $25 spring lift tickets are gone! I guess I waited too long to buy them, since it was a last minute decision between MSS and Jay. Full price it is then... :(

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
I'll be there too. Just checked the website again and now the $25 spring lift tickets are gone! I guess I waited too long to buy them, since it was a last minute decision between MSS and Jay. Full price it is then... :(

I didn't know the $25 were limited? Anyhow regardless of the price (the exchange rate is really good on the US $), you'll have a blast.

MSS not in my driving wheelhouse either at 7 hours each way. Will hit that during my Tremblant trip next season.

MSS isn't anything to write home about except the fact that they offer a long season. McSkiing.

My skiing options are (in Google times):

2 hours to MSS
4.25 to Jay
5 to Bush
5.5 to Kmart
6 to Sunday River
6 to Sugarloaf
7.5 to Mont Comi

JimG.

Staff member
My closest option left would be K at 3.25 hours. I'm 4.5 from SB, everything else on your list is a minimum of 5.5 each way.

I'm more likely to drive a long way for variety than 3 hours for 1 or 2 trails. Hard to find 3 days to make the drive worth it this time of year.

VTKilarney

MSS isn't anything to write home about except the fact that they offer a long season. McSkiing.

I wouldn't go out of my way to ski MSS during mid-winter. They do a great job servicing the Montreal metropolitan area, but they are far from being a destination resort.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
2 hours to MSS - FREE with my Edelweiss pass
4.25 to Jay - $20 CDN
5 to Bush - $ 50 US
5.5 to Kmart - $ 29 US (50% with a pass from elsewhere)
6 to Sunday River - FREE on May 1
6 to Sugarloaf - $39 US
7.5 to Mont Comi - $25 CDN

Something I neglected to add, cost of lift tickets. Need to save money to continue my ski season.

Sons of Thunder

Something I neglected to add, cost of lift tickets. Need to save money to continue my ski season.

Kids 12 and under skiing for free sealed the deal for me!

And as you mentioned the exchange rate is indeed very good. I've been taking full advantage this entire week in Montreal. Heading up to St Sauveur tonight!

JimG.

Staff member
Kids 12 and under skiing for free sealed the deal for me!

And as you mentioned the exchange rate is indeed very good. I've been taking full advantage this entire week in Montreal. Heading up to St Sauveur tonight!

Glad you made the trip happen.

machski

Barker base area last Saturday

I hope no one got turned off from these photos. Just got back from walking the dog and Barker base looks 10 times better this weekend. Last weekend, they got hit with a lot of rain Friday night causing the mud lot at Barker base. I heard Sunday was better. Looks like from Right Stuff today you take the last old cut in of 1500 road back onto Rocking Chair to get to the base. Thought they might have done that for last weekend too.

cdskier

It is pretty amazing how much snow ski areas can move around to patch things up even this late in the season. While I'm not skiing this weekend, I've still been looking at Sugarbush's webcam. Yesterday the base area was mostly brown, today there is a nice path of white snow leading back to the lift.