• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Comments/Criticisms of my first ski edit?

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
The editing is fine but I think most people here, myself included, would be more impressed with your own footage. That, then, is my suggestion.

planb420

my .02 since your asking...I for one as a Filmer/Editor think its a shame you dont go shoot your own footage then edit...half the craft is even being able to pull of those shots in the first place and then be able to tell a story with it. So all in all LAME

ALL was done by myself RIDING, EDITING, SHOOTING....

Last edited:

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
my .02 since your asking...I for one as a Filmer/Editor think its a shame you dont go shoot your own footage then edit...half the craft is even being able to pull of those shots in the first place and then be able to tell a story with it. So all in all LAME

Now that's a cool edit of what is clearly amateur (no offense) and his own footage. I have to say that even though the music was fitting, it was also annoying. But, don't worry, I'm a Beatles fan so don't that too seriously.

falera97

Wow.....a lot of hate and discontent spewing out in this thread, sounds like people were expecting warren miller caliber editing. From strictly an editing standpoint, I think it looks great man, although the .5 seconds or so of black screen between scenes is a little distracting.

Did you speed up and slow down the individual clips, or were the clips already like that?

Thanks for the constructive criticism man I really appreciate it. And the clips weren't slowed down already, I did that myself haha. Thanks again for the reply!

falera97

not trying to sound like a jerk, but most editors aren't part of their own movies, except amateurs. I usually would have edited my own clips but i haven't been able to go boarding yet. Thanks for the feedback.

planb420

not trying to sound like a jerk, but most editors aren't part of their own movies, except amateurs. I usually would have edited my own clips but i haven't been able to go boarding yet. Thanks for the feedback.

then you don't know many editors who shred then do ya?....here is one jump compilation (without me) shot and edited all in one day. No need for fancy FX or Graphics (although I can do that as well, I feel it distracts from the riding itself)

planb420

Or maybe 50mph while filming to get the shot is your thing? (Im in this one as well, guy in shorts w/ black full face) This shows my camera work and the edit is from 3 different gopros mixed together

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
not trying to sound like a jerk, but most editors aren't part of their own movies, except amateurs.

I see what yer sain here. That editors aren't in the movie itself. Well Geoff McDonald does appear in his films. Not that he is useing POV himself but he does shoot much of his own vid - flyin off jumps while filming. For that matter take any ski film producer you care to name - they ALL edited their own footage. Warren Miller, Dick Barrymore, Greg Stump.

You asked for honest criticism and you got it. Now get out there, round up some buds and just shoot. Then come back with an edit. Like I said earlier, your editing is fine, just do the same thing with your own footy.

planb420

OH NO I broke the 3rd wall and was in my own video again...... Rider/Filmer/Editor Planb420 All shot and edited in one day...