• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Conditions at Smuggs

lerops

Has anybody skied Smuggs after Friday or heard of the conditions?

Looking to book a last minute trip, but I'd postpone if conditions are bad.

I don't ski trees, so that doesn't factor into my decision (I was hoping to get a lesson at Smuggs on this, not a big deal.)

Thanks!

MadMadWorld

You may want to shoot Huck_It_Baby a message. He is my go to guy for Smuggs conditions. He seems to think they will be picking up 1 to 3 inches a day through Thursday. We shall see.

Huck_It_Baby

I haven't been to Smuggs since Sunday the 16th so I'm not too sure how the mountain is skiing. The warm up killed all the glorious powder we had from the previous storm but there is plenty of base still.

NOAA point forecast at upper elevation showed chances for small accumulations (1-2) inches here and there this week so hopefully surface conditions should improve a bit.

I might go get a couple hours in either Wed or thursday. If so I'll report back for you.

MadMadWorld

I haven't been to Smuggs since Sunday the 16th so I'm not too sure how the mountain is skiing. The warm up killed all the glorious powder we had from the previous storm but there is plenty of base still.

NOAA point forecast at upper elevation showed chances for small accumulations (1-2) inches here and there this week so hopefully surface conditions should improve a bit.

I might go get a couple hours in either Wed or thursday. If so I'll report back for you.

I need a report for this weekend. Get on it!

bdfreetuna

I'm sure conditions at Smuggs are pretty similar to Bolton where I skied over the weekend. Groomers will be great. Woods and bumps will be crusty and a little slick. Probably not very much boilerplate though.

I doubt a couple inches of snow will change the situation. More likely it will blow off.

dlague

Everyone so far including on another thread always mention conditions from the weekend when temps were warmer after r*an on Friday! It is Monday on that most are concerned about!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

MadMadWorld

From what I have heard, the new snow has combined well with the old stuff and the crust has gotten broken up pretty well. I will be do some exploring and let everyone know

lerops

Just booked my trip, starting skiing on Thursday for 5 days. They seem to be picking up snow here and there, like the 6 inches last night, over a foot over the last week. So, should be good.

MadMadWorld

Just booked my trip, starting skiing on Thursday for 5 days. They seem to be picking up snow here and there, like the 6 inches last night, over a foot over the last week. So, should be good.

When I was there this weekend the conditions were phenomenal and as I said the base is DEEP. Weather should be great for you. Let me know if you want any suggestions. It's a great mountain that offers something for everyone

Huck_It_Baby

I was there today. Around 6 inches of snow made for some great skiing. Found some deeps spots...a few face shots. Trees were great, ice in the usual spots on the groomers but powder/packed powder otherwise.

Patrol was packing down and breaking up any crust on upper liftline. Hopefully they do that on Robin's too.

Things are skiing very well!

BenedictGomez

I was there today. Around 6 inches of snow made for some great skiing. Found some deeps spots...a few face shots. Trees were great, ice in the usual spots on the groomers but powder/packed powder otherwise.

Yeah? This I like to hear.

I'm considering Smuggs next Saturday as part of my, "Canuck hoard avoidance strategy". I dont think I want to risk taking the chance on Jay Peak.

lerops

When I was there this weekend the conditions were phenomenal and as I said the base is DEEP. Weather should be great for you. Let me know if you want any suggestions. It's a great mountain that offers something for everyone
Thanks. Suggestions would be great.

Basically, I always have find a way to have fun in all conditions and am looking to get into trees at Smuggs, so will get lessons. My wife could use some confidence building on easy blues. And I will put my daughter in ski school, and am hoping that she can ride the chairlift by the end of this trip so we can start skiing together. That part I assume Smuggs will take care of.

Also, I'd appreciate suggestions for chow without having to drive too much. We are staying at the mountain.

Savemeasammy

Patrol was packing down and breaking up any crust on upper liftline. Hopefully they do that on Robin's too.

Things are skiing very well!

I saw on Facebook that patrol was packing down the liftline headwall for the comp next Sunday. That would be cool!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

Also, I'd appreciate suggestions for chow without having to drive too much. We are staying at the mountain.

Absolutely phenomenal breakfasts. Right in Jeffersonville (you will drive by it on the way to the mountain), < 10 minute drive from Smuggs.

In terms of a plethora of dining choices, however, you're in a terrible part of Vermont if "without having to drive too much" is a concern.

http://158main.com/

MadMadWorld

Thanks. Suggestions would be great.

Basically, I always have find a way to have fun in all conditions and am looking to get into trees at Smuggs, so will get lessons. My wife could use some confidence building on easy blues. And I will put my daughter in ski school, and am hoping that she can ride the chairlift by the end of this trip so we can start skiing together. That part I assume Smuggs will take care of.

They do a great job with lessons at Smuggs. Every time I see a kids lesson at Smuggs I want to jump in and join them because they are always having a blast! I don't know what they put in fruit punch but they are all fearless! Your daughter will be riding the lift in no time. Smuggs has great pod skiing. Morse is perfect for beginners and those that like to move at a different pace. You don't have to worry about racers tearing down a beginner trail to get back to the lift. Madonna II is the next pod for those that like intermediate groomers and is a nice introduction to tree skiing. The trees off of Ruthie's are great to learn on and get slightly more challenging from left to right. You will see a lot of those trees on the way up the lift. Sterling would then be your upper intermediate to advanced area. You will find some ungroomed and groomed intermediate and expert terrain. Most of the trees are for advanced skiers and would probably be considered double diamonds at most mountains. Thomke's and Rumrunner are always groomed. Last stop would be Madonna I where most terrain is for experts and almost everything left ungroomed with the exceptions of Chilcoot and Drifter. Both of these trails are great intermediate cruisers but can be intimidating because of the amount of traffic they see. If you want to get some great pictures, these are trails to hit!

BG mentioned 158 Main which is a good place for family dining. Village Tavern is good too. Downstairs is a rowdy scene with a lot of locals but upstairs is much nicer and quiet. Websters is right on the access road. It's a small brewery and restaurant. The Mix definitely has the best breakfast in Jeffersonville. It's right around the corner from the Village Tavern and is part of the Smugglers Notch Inn complex. They have great pancakes, french toast, etc.