• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

COVID concerns in the Northeast

abc

Yeah I'm not sure how people can justify traveling every week with the kids in school. I really hope these people don't end up giving VT a reason to shut down the mountains
It may not be "justifiable". But they're just as selfish as the VT locals who wish to keep the mountain to themselves. No more, no less.

VT can close the mountains. then no danger of out-of-staters "bringing the virus" to VT! (even though in reality, it's the locals who spread it around among themselves).

Look at Europe, they chose to close the lifts instead of closing the border. Their justification of their choice being, remove the temptation for leisure travel, leaving essential travel & commerce alone. A different attempt at controlling the virus spread with least impact to economy.

VT can also enforce the quarantine rule, if they really are serious about the virus situation. This half-hearted "unenforced rules" are just a joke!

icecoast1

VT can also enforce the quarantine rule, if they really are serious about the virus situation. This half-hearted "unenforced rules" are just a joke!
It's not enforceable on a large scale and Vermont knows it which is why for the most part it hasnt been taken much further than strongly suggesting

cdskier

Well for 1 example a few friends of my sons have been traveling up on weekends to ski with their family. The kids have been going to school and their parents to work. Others on here while not coming out and saying it (while some have said it- Dr Jeff) seem to be traveling back and forth to their primary homes and working on a regular basis.

There's certainly some people that I see posting about skiing that I have serious doubts about whether they quarantined...

raisingarizona

It may not be "justifiable". But they're just as selfish as the VT locals who wish to keep the mountain to themselves. No more, no less.

VT can close the mountains. then no danger of out-of-staters "bringing the virus" to VT! (even though in reality, it's the locals who spread it around among themselves).

Look at Europe, they chose to close the lifts instead of closing the border. Their justification of their choice being, remove the temptation for leisure travel, leaving essential travel & commerce alone. A different attempt at controlling the virus spread with least impact to economy.

It’s probably to cover their asses for any sort of liability but they certainly don’t want to say no to money. Imho that’s probably the reality.

zoomzoom

there's contact transmission, droplet transmission (the 6 ft rule) and airborne transmission. are you confusing droplet transmission and airborne transmission? i mean, this is yuge. folks in restaurants, at inside gatherings, airplanes, etc are nutz. imo of course. here's a quote.

Airborne transmission is infection spread through exposure to those virus-containing respiratory droplets comprised of smaller droplets and particles that can remain suspended in the air over long distances (usually greater than 6 feet) and time (typically hours).

i go out hiking and shopping, and that's it. the world spins on out of my control and people do what people do. some days i think there's some bleed over here from thedonald.win

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Everything I've looked at shows me VT's numbers have stayed flat the past three weeks :confused:

Average positive tests has been right around 100 since the 15th (with an expected dip at Thanksgiving).
Hospitalization Nov 15- 20, Dec 11- 26
ICU beds filled has been averaging 5 since Thanksgiving.

tnt1234

It's not the locals setting the rules.

2Planker

With the EU, you can't really close the borders.
That would be same as closing all state borders in the US - Never going to happen

gittist

Has Vermont reduced the quarantine to 10-days yet?

Last edited:

drjeff

Funny guy....that'd be a rational, science-based decision that balances economic and public health. The real question is have they made it 21 days yet? :ROFLMAO:

Funny how the phrase "follow the science" gets used by those making the public policy decisions when it justifies their greater restrictions on society, often becomes a hypocritical situation of "look at their silence" when the science supports lessening the restrictions they put on society.

This disease is real and with dire consequences for some. No doubt in my mind about that.

The responses from our leaders about how they choose to handle it, especially lately, when we have a much greater understanding of this disease process than we had back in the Spring, has certainly brought one with some critical thinking skills to question if our leaders are all about public health or governmental power via societal fear

Puck it

Funny how the phrase "follow the science" gets used by those making the public policy decisions when it justifies their greater restrictions on society, often becomes a hypocritical situation of "look at their silence" when the science supports lessening the restrictions they put on society.

This disease is real and with dire consequences for some. No doubt in my mind about that.

The responses from our leaders about how they choose to handle it, especially lately, when we have a much greater understanding of this disease process than we had back in the Spring, has certainly brought one with some critical thinking skills to question if our leaders are all about public health or governmental power via societal fear
Nail on the head.

KustyTheKlown

ok dr tin foil hat

its too bad my parents are dentists, because ive never been as tempted to make some swipe about dentists not being real doctors.