• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Covid Vaccine

Some comments here about the vax keeping you from getting the virus didn't age very well. 99% of one college football team was vaccinated and 44 players still tested positive. It is a personal choice and I understand both sides. If I'm vaccinated but can still pass it on, I shouldn't look down on the unvaccinated. This seems more like a therapeutic to me.

Edd

Some comments here about the vax keeping you from getting the virus didn't age very well. 99% of one college football team was vaccinated and 44 players still tested positive. It is a personal choice and I understand both sides. If I'm vaccinated but can still pass it on, I shouldn't look down on the unvaccinated. This seems more like a therapeutic to me.
Football being a close contact sport likely contributed to the spread, along with little regular testing for vaccinated players. To that end, that college is tightening up the testing for players. Indications are that vaccinated people are less likely to spread than unvaxxed. But, the longer this goes, the more we’ll know.

Football being a close contact sport likely contributed to the spread, along with little regular testing for vaccinated players. To that end, that college is tightening up the testing for players. Indications are that vaccinated people are less likely to spread than unvaxxed. But, the longer this goes, the more we’ll know.

Not at all downplaying the vaccination. I am just commenting that this is NOT an unvaccinated epidemic. One country that is 82% vaccinated has now had the highest number of cases. I just think we need to stop burying our heads in the sand that this vaccination does not stop the spread. It helps with the symptoms. We also cannot forget 85% of infected people get mild or no symptoms even when not vaccinated.

speden

Not at all downplaying the vaccination. I am just commenting that this is NOT an unvaccinated epidemic. One country that is 82% vaccinated has now had the highest number of cases. I just think we need to stop burying our heads in the sand that this vaccination does not stop the spread. It helps with the symptoms. We also cannot forget 85% of infected people get mild or no symptoms even when not vaccinated.
It seems like you're trying to argue that the vaccines are a failure and pointless, but that's absurd. The death rate has plummeted since the vaccines became widely available. My mother lives in a memory care facility and has several underlying conditions that put her at high risk. She got vaccinated and several months later tested positive with no symptoms. So what? It doesn't mean she shouldn't have bothered to get vaccinated. The vaccine may have saved her from getting very sick or even dying. People that take the flu vaccine still catch the flu, but it makes it less severe, and the mRNA covid vaccines are far superior to the egg grown flu vaccines.

I stopped by the drugstore today (Boston metro area) to pick up a few things and there was a long line of people waiting to get booster shots. Most of them looked younger than 65 so I'd say a lot of people around here are ignoring the CDC advice on not getting a booster. I'm hoping Mass will soon follow the lead of Cali and Colorado and just say anyone who wants a booster should get it. I'm coming up on six months since my last shot and would like to boost up my antibodies before I start hanging out in ski lodges and gondolas.

Puck it

Just FYI

Edd

It seems like you're trying to argue that the vaccines are a failure and pointless, but that's absurd. The death rate has plummeted since the vaccines became widely available. My mother lives in a memory care facility and has several underlying conditions that put her at high risk. She got vaccinated and several months later tested positive with no symptoms. So what? It doesn't mean she shouldn't have bothered to get vaccinated. The vaccine may have saved her from getting very sick or even dying. People that take the flu vaccine still catch the flu, but it makes it less severe, and the mRNA covid vaccines are far superior to the egg grown flu vaccines.

I stopped by the drugstore today (Boston metro area) to pick up a few things and there was a long line of people waiting to get booster shots. Most of them looked younger than 65 so I'd say a lot of people around here are ignoring the CDC advice on not getting a booster. I'm hoping Mass will soon follow the lead of Cali and Colorado and just say anyone who wants a booster should get it. I'm coming up on six months since my last shot and would like to boost up my antibodies before I start hanging out in ski lodges and gondolas.
I got my booster in NH a couple of days ago. I don’t fit into any special category and had no idea if they’d give it to me. Walked into Rite-Aid with no appointment and was out in 20 minutes. 2-3 every day they take walk ins.

snoseek

I mean yeah the vaccinated can get Covid easy enough, but lets not pretend the consequences are the same. I got my shots, will get a booster soon and am moving on with all this.

jimk

Got my Moderna booster earlier today. So far, so good, no reaction except for a little bit of soreness in arm. As far as I'm concerned, this is more important for ski season than sharpening my skis.(y)

deadheadskier

Staff member
I got my Moderna booster Saturday. Felt a bit tired yesterday, but not achy with flu like symptoms like I did after the second does. Feel fine this morning except for a sore arm.

speden

With ski season closing in and covid rates ticking up again in the northeast, I went and got the booster this afternoon. My original shots were Pfizer, so I switched it up and got Moderna for the booster. It seems that Moderna gives a little bit better protection than Pfizer. Bretton Woods posted a photo of the snow guns going, so hopefully I'll be heading up there to pick up my pass soon. :)

Puck it

Booster upon booster. You and I mean the plural will contract the virus as this is not going away. It will be the same as the flu.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Booster upon booster. You and I mean the plural will contract the virus as this is not going away. It will be the same as the flu.

I agree with the first part of your statement. The latter still seems tbd.

The data still tells me the smart choice for the plural is to still get the vaccine plus boosters. At least for now.

It seems inevitable that we all get it. Does natural immunity happen when enough people do catch it? If so, then this is not the same as the flu. Because natural immunity has never occurred for the flu.

I've got no problem taking flu shots for the rest of my life. Perhaps Covid just becomes a mix in ingredient.

speden

I'm not sure the boosters will be a yearly thing. The antiviral pills that are about to be approved could change things quite a bit. The data so far shows the pills are highly effective if taken early. So that means anti-vaxxers can get bailed out if they get sick, and for the vaccinated you'll also have the pill to fall back on if you do get a symptomatic infection. At that point you might say, let me catch it and if it's mild I'll just build up more natural immunity, and I can take the pill if I need it.

The virus may smolder in the population for a few years, but once all the firewood is wet, the fire could just die out. For the virus to stick around, I feel like it would need to mutate rapidly like the flu does.

Puck it

There are already four endemic coronaviruses that circle the globe each year and somewhat seasonal. This will be the fifth. Coronavirus is a type of common cold and mutants pretty well. That is why rhinoviruses can be fought very well. So your facts assumptions above are incorrect.

skiur

Had my two Pfizer shots in the spring then had covid (asymptomatic but had 2 tests to confirm it) for Halloween so that was basically my booster.

Reactions: abc

abc

I didn't have too bad a reaction on my first 2 shots. But the booster really knocked me out!

Nightmare first night, headache and muscle ache day 2 and part of day 3 too.

(I thought about checking my antibody counts before getting my booster. But everybody I know seem to have little to no reaction to their booster so I thought I'll take it just like everybody. Now wish I had done that little bit of test first)

Today is day 4, I'm still tired as a lazy dog in a hot summer day. Not really sick, just exhausted. Just want to close my eyes and sleep...

I think this will be my last booster. I think I'll take my chance with the virus going forward. People who had breakthrough infection had a easier time than I had with my booster.

Last edited:

speden

I also had a much stronger reaction to the booster than the first two shots. My shoulder got really tender for a couple of days and I had a mild headache. I figure it was because my first two shots were Pfizer and I went with Moderna for the booster. It seems like Moderna has a higher dose of active ingredients in it. But maybe it was because my immunity was already pretty strong so it went after the booster with a vengeance. Anyway the strong reaction makes me feel like I'm well protected now.

cdskier

Got my booster Monday afternoon (Pfizer). I had a similar but slightly milder "short-term" reaction with the booster as I had after the first shot. In the 5-10 minute window after getting the shot I felt light-headed, broke out into a sweat and almost felt like I was going to pass out. The feeling passed after about a minute or so. After the first shot I had that same reaction, but may have actually passed out for a few seconds. For the 2nd shot I didn't have that reaction, but I also mentioned my reaction to the 1st to them and they put me in a nice relaxing recliner for the shot and the observation period after it...so that may have helped. I've never had this type of reaction with any other shots (i.e. flu shot, TDAP booster, etc). I probably should have brought that up with my doctor a few weeks ago at my physical, but I completely forgot about it. I'd be curious to know if he had any insight into what from this one could cause that.

Longer term reaction I feel like was a bit different with the 3rd compared to either 1st or 2nd. Sore arm was pretty similar among all 3 (probably worst with the 1st). Felt a bit tired yesterday and had a headache most of the day (I don't recall a headache with either of the previous ones). Last night I felt chilled a bit as I was going to sleep (but I felt relatively fine Monday night). Felt ok by this morning. With the 1st and 2nd I recall my brain feeling a bit "foggy" for a few days after the shot. That part didn't happen this time.

ctenidae

One of my business partners, an MD, summed it up thusly: The potential risks of the vaccine are far smaller than the known risks of getting COVID. There are no known side effects from the vaccines that are anywhere near at least one known effect of the virus.

The biggest trouble across the board is the politicization of the vaccine. Within societal bounds, yes, you should maybe have some choice. You don't with mumps, rubella, scarlet fever, whooping cough, polio, smallpox, and a whole bunch of others, but I suppose there's an argument to be made for not requiring vaccination for a highly infectious and potentially deadly disease. Many people who are against the vaccine do not have a reasoned position re the vaccine itself, instead it's some vague talking points about personal freedom and liberty. If someone doesn't want to get it for good valid reasons, OK, that's a discussion. If they've instead been bullied by misinformation and political activists into not getting the vaccine, then I'd say that's as bad as, if not immensely worse than, getting "bullied" by all the so-called doctors and scientists and experts and such into taking the vaccine.

I do think the perception of a level of fear has been created by people with a right-leaning political agenda. It's interesting that one common line of attack against the vaccine hinges on making people think they're wimps for taking it, for being concerned about COVID which, the argument goes, isn't all that big a deal. Don't be a wimp and go getting a shot because you're scared of some big bad virus that's maybe all a hoax, right? But a 2x2 logic square would tell you to take the vaccine- if it works or doesn't hurt, you're better off with it. So the only reason not to take the vaccine is because you're afraid of some side effect. Wimp.