• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crash Reel Documentary

MadMadWorld

Seeing that fall was a little too real for me. I had a similar fall in a half pipe a few years ago. Thankfully I was a bit more lucky.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

conwayeast

I have had a few concussions in my day. I few years ago I shattered a helmet at Killington. Pieces of my helmet littered the trail. I am lucky and grateful to have had my helmet on, because I would have been out cold waking up in a hospital.

Earlier this year I overshot a jump at Bretton Woods and in the air I was just thinking all I want to do is not hit my head. I was able to re-adjust in the air and correct myself. Because I landed so flat just the sheer force ended up tearing my acl. As of yesterday I am not crutch free 1 month to the day post-op.

But all I can say is that I'm happy that it was my knee and not my head.

Head injuries are no joke and people who have never experienced one don't understand them.

Wear a helmet. KP is lucky he did. It may have been worse.

MadMadWorld

I have had a few concussions in my day. I few years ago I shattered a helmet at Killington. Pieces of my helmet littered the trail. I am lucky and grateful to have had my helmet on, because I would have been out cold waking up in a hospital.

Earlier this year I overshot a jump at Bretton Woods and in the air I was just thinking all I want to do is not hit my head. I was able to re-adjust in the air and correct myself. Because I landed so flat just the sheer force ended up tearing my acl. As of yesterday I am not crutch free 1 month to the day post-op.

But all I can say is that I'm happy that it was my knee and not my head.

Head injuries are no joke and people who have never experienced one don't understand them.

Wear a helmet. KP is lucky he did. It may have been worse.

Wow good luck in your recovery. I feel your pain. When I was an instructor at Wachusett, I had a few hours to kill before next roll call so I went and played in the pipe on my skis. The wall was cut horribly and I knew it. I knew it was going to end up bad as soon as I was in the air. My tails hit the top of the pipe as I was coming down and I was thrown head first to the bottom of a very icy pipe. I was able to piece together what happened after that only after talking with patrol and other instructors. Apparently, I was out cold at the bottom of the pipe for a few minutes. I somehow managed to get both my skis on and got to the bottom. After that I was found wandering around outside the ski school. I blacked out again at some point and woke up on a back board with an IV in my arm. Didn't recognize my GF or mom. Couldn't answer any of those stupid questions they ask you: who is the president? what year/day it is? Scariest experience I have ever had. I walked away with a severe concussion, broken cheek, nose, and orbital bone. Don't know if a helmet would have prevented all of those injuries but it sure would have helped. Moral of the story: WEAR A HELMET

conwayeast

Killington was my 2nd concussion. It was very mild and the effects only lasted a day, but it was still scary.

The first happened back in 2004. The band Reveille was filming a music video at the Tsongas Arena. I rode bmx at the time and as you can tell from the video, my friends were hitting the jumps. I ended up crashing and slamming my head right into the pavement. I remember hearing people saying, "O, shit. O, shit. Don't move. Stay where you are. Don't close your eyes." Shortly after I heard sirens.

A few hours later I woke up in the hospital with my parents next to me. I was trying to piece together what happened.

I had to spend the night in the hospital and I separated my shoulder. The effects of the concussion lasted for a week or more.

WEAR A HELMET

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Someone on our ski club bus tour walked onto the bus after a day of skiing and asked for anyone who doesn't wear a helmet to raise their hand. He showed them his helmet, which had a huge indent an inch deep. He said he fell and somehow landed with his helmet on the front tip of his ski. Guy would've bled to death if he wasn't wearing a helmet.