• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crotched in the Boston Globe today

skijay

I liked Crotched when I was there. It's about the size of Butternut. Butternut has more traversing trails and Crotched had more straight down from the summit trails.

This is the third "lost ski area" that has ressurected that I haved skied. Magic and Ascutney are the other two.

Greg

Staff member
skijay said:
This is the third "lost ski area" that has ressurected that I haved skied. Magic and Ascutney are the other two.
When was Ascutney "resurrected"? I skied there a few times in the mid-90's. Was it before then?

skijay

Ascutney....I think 1994 or so, I do not remember. From what I remember it was closed for one season as the property was sold and someone (the new owners) got a bargain on it. I can not remember all of the details.

Greg

Staff member
Ahhh. Thanks Jay. I was there a few times around that time - 1993 - 1995. I remember the hotel being open so it must have been after the takeover...

I remember this guy we knew, his father owned an A-frame right on the mountain. Great place to hang out. Some fun times and memories. I think I posted in another thread about a midnight toboggan experience down Ascutney's slopes! :eek:

M

mattfishng

"Lost Ski Areas"

Reading the posts on reviving closed ski resorts gives me hope that someday Brodie Mtn. re-open. Just have to get Jiminy to give up the ski rights