• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cute little towns near Mt. Snow & Stratton?

KustyTheKlown

don't blow up kustys spot. he needs those econolodge rooms to stay cheap

the two rodeway inn locations aren't ever available on Expedia anymore, and i think they became permanent residential facilities, possibly permanently housing the homeless or other special needs communities. this has caused me to upgrade to the days inn and the comfort inn over the past few years, AT GREAT ADDITIONAL EXPENSE

after skiing 7 hours of powder on Saturday i wanted a real dinner (not Mcdonalds, taco bell, or dennys), so i went to downtown rutland. i gotta say, its not great, but its better than what it used to be. i noticed a new indian restaurant, a new co-working space (makes sense with covid-era digital nomads), and i ate real food at an actual decent restaurant (table 24). off of routes 7 and 4 rutland is doing ok-ish it seems.

the days inn is back at 'full service' after reduced service during covid. this entailed their full breakfast, and their pool facilities. the front desk clerk mentioned a dry sauna. and i was excited, i had just skied 7 hours+ and told my gf that i wish i could take a hot bath to soak but that i was wary of the tub at the days inn. hearing the words 'dry sauna' caused me to go across the street to dick's and buy shorts (i only packed sweatpants). i got back, put on the shorts, and walked out to the saddest fucking hotel pool situation i have ever seen. the sauna was ice cold, and even if it were hot, ewww. i am glad i bought running shorts and not a bathing suit, because at least i have a use for the shorts. the breakfast, however, was excellent.

Last edited:

crank

We Stayed at the Rutland Days Inn Saturday Night. Would have been more than I wanted to spend if I were alone, but sharing the cost made it pretty reasonable and the room was clean and bed comfortable. Ate at a joint called Vermont Tap House just down Rt 7 a bit where they had lots of non IPA beers and better food than I expected.

KustyTheKlown

We Stayed at the Rutland Days Inn Saturday Night. Would have been more than I wanted to spend if I were alone, but sharing the cost made it pretty reasonable and the room was clean and bed comfortable. Ate at a joint called Vermont Tap House just down Rt 7 a bit where they had lots of non IPA beers and better food than I expected.

yea, the price has creeped up. i basically have a standing reservation there so i lock in decent prices well in advance.

one thing i don't love about the place is that a car with a confederate flag used to always be parked next to the office, and the TVs are all pre-programmed to turn on to fox news.

4aprice

the days inn is back at 'full service' after reduced service during covid. this entailed their full breakfast, and their pool facilities. the front desk clerk mentioned a dry sauna. and i was excited, i had just skied 7 hours+ and told my gf that i wish i could take a hot bath to soak but that i was wary of the tub at the days inn. hearing the words 'dry sauna' caused me to go across the street to dick's and buy shorts (i only packed sweatpants). i got back, put on the shorts, and walked out to the saddest fucking hotel pool situation i have ever seen. the sauna was ice cold, and even if it were hot, ewww. i am glad i bought running shorts and not a bathing suit, because at least i have a use for the shorts. the breakfast, however, was excellent.
Used to stay at those places (Days Inn - Red Roof back then, and Comfort Inn) when my daughter attended Castleton. The pool situations have never been to my liking. I find it difficult to find places in Vermont with nice pools and hot tub facilities which I really is something my wife and I enjoy after a day of skiing. Black Bear Lodge at Stratton is nice but hard to get into and there probably are some nice places up in Burlington but I haven't gone that far north in several years. Know of places in New Hampshire and New York but not in Vermont near the ski areas. Seems to be a lot easier out west too. It actually somewhat keeps me away from Vermont except for our friends house up at Killington. The Holiday Inn in Lincoln NH has a nice Hot Tub and we will be staying there for a weekend at Loon in early March..

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
My ski club house was in Weston, VT. It is picturesque to say the least.

I always liked Ludlow. Small/quaint enough to have charm but big enough to have multiple gas stations so no price gouging, a full-service grocery store, and decent take-out that was cheap and not every eating establishment was $30 "posh farm-raised organic crap with a sliver of bullshit".